any electricians out there?

K

kswaterfowler

Oct 18, 2015
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4
I just ran power to my 30x48 shop in August. I went to the electric wholesale place around here. Told them how far I had to run and amps. They told me the wire I would need. Nobody carries copper underground service cable anymore its all aluminum. I came off my box at the pole with 100 amp service to the shop. All buried 24" deep in conduit even though the wire is direct burial.as we pulled the wire from the pole we slid the conduit over it then laid it in the trench. I had a sleeve in the concrete floor to bring it in. Grounding rod is out at the shop as well.

Reactions: Mudwing and L2R
Firemedic530

Firemedic530

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
West Jefferson, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, going to take everyone's advice.
I will leave the wire as is and can move the existing boxes towards the pool using it for pump and lights. That will actually reduce the draw on the 110 and keep me from adding another junction box sitting above ground.

The power company can run power to the shed. I will find a 100 amp box and get whatever I could want in the shop.

Last question, will a 100 amp box run a small ac, lights, power tools , on demand water heater and lights for a bath house? thinking ahead as others suggested?

thanks for all the good advice. Would not have come to this solution without all the input.
The on demand water heater in electric will be a problem. The smallest will pull 60 amps on 220 volt unless it's one of the under sink models. The rest you'll be fine with.

Reactions: Mudwing
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Colored plastic tape near the trench surface when filling it back in. Ran all my outdoor stuff with GFI breakers from the house panel - pool and hot tub 220v and hot tub. Wish I had run more amp supply to barn when I trenched it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mudwing and L2R

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!