P700 Any regrets with 700 over 1000?

M

motorman18

Apr 28, 2016
Laurel, MS
When i bought my 700 the 1000 wasn't even announced yet i was gonna trade it but i backed out cuz the 1000 seems to be having alot of clutch problems and heat issues in the cab i live in south Mississippi so heat issues is not good down here

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I agree with that, I wish the 700 could have a 1,2,3 transmission position on the shifter to hold it from excelerating down hill and climbing gears.

Hey Monte, I just want to clear the record for those who are reading this and don't know.

The P700 won't up-shift when coasting down a hill. It will hold first gear all day long if you don't hit the gas. It's just geared too dang high. I think low range would really improve the P700.

Now for 2017, they will have paddle shifters as an option. After owning a P700, it won't be that big of a deal for me. The paddle shifters will allow the driver to hold any gear but it won't help the 36 HP engine turn into a race car nor will it improve engine braking.

Again, not being a turd just wanted to keep it clear for someone that may be looking to purchase.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Hey Monte, I just want to clear the record for those who are reading this and don't know.

The P700 won't up-shift when coasting down a hill. It will hold first gear all day long if you don't hit the gas. It's just geared too dang high. I think low range would really improve the P700.

Now for 2017, they will have paddle shifters as an option. After owning a P700, it won't be that big of a deal for me. The paddle shifters will allow the driver to hold any gear but it won't help the 36 HP engine turn into a race car nor will it improve engine braking.

Again, not being a turd just wanted to keep it clear for someone that may be looking to purchase.
I agree with that if you're careful when trying to hold speed, but if it's a steep hill, I've had it jump to a higher gear when I don't want it to.

Reactions: DGann
cschomber63

cschomber63

Nov 14, 2016
Beloit
I agree with that if you're careful when trying to hold speed, but if it's a steep hill, I've had it jump to a higher gear when I don't want it to.

You have a machine though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have the 700 and I have taken it places most people wouldn't even consider going. All my buddies have RZRs. I am the only one in the group with something different. There has not been a time I couldn't go where they have. Is the 700 perfect? No... However, for the price and capability it is a great machine. I have invested in some aftermarket things to make it more capable but I still don't have a ton of money tied up in it. Would I change some things on it? Sure... However, right now this machine is getting the job done and is very dependable. I spend my time riding while my RZR buddies spend more time fixing Lol. BTW, I use mine for 95% trail riding. I will say that if they get the 1000 to the dependability of the 700 I'd be interested. I have literally put this thing through the ringer with no major issues. The whole clutch deal scares me on the 1000, especially with the amount of money they cost! I don't want to spend that much money on something and then be worried about major repairs.

cschomber63

cschomber63

Nov 14, 2016
Beloit
I have the 700 and I have taken it places most people wouldn't even consider going. All my buddies have RZRs. I am the only one in the group with something different. There has not been a time I couldn't go where they have. Is the 700 perfect? No... However, for the price and capability it is a great machine. I have invested in some aftermarket things to make it more capable but I still don't have a ton of money tied up in it. Would I change some things on it? Sure... However, right now this machine is getting the job done and is very dependable. I spend my time riding while my RZR buddies spend more time fixing Lol. BTW, I use mine for 95% trail riding. I will say that if they get the 1000 to the dependability of the 700 I'd be interested. I have literally put this thing through the ringer with no major issues. The whole clutch deal scares me on the 1000, especially with the amount of money they cost! I don't want to spend that much money on something and then be worried about major repairs.

My 1000 has been trouble free

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
My 1000 has been trouble free

I'm not saying all of them are having issues but there are several that are. It is a known issue that I wish Honda would address. The 700 on the other hand is nearly bullet proof. I'm doing sport riding and that is where the 1000 is known to have clutch problems. From what I've learned they don't like to go slow in rocks, which is what I do with my machine. If they fix the clutch problems I'll most likely get one when I upgrade. Until then I'll take a less powerful machine and not have to worry about a clutch.

advertisement
cschomber63

cschomber63

Nov 14, 2016
Beloit
I'm not saying all of them are having issues but there are several that are. It is a known issue that I wish Honda would address. The 700 on the other hand is nearly bullet proof. I'm doing sport riding and that is where the 1000 is known to have clutch problems. From what I've learned they don't like to go slow in rocks, which is what I do with my machine. If they fix the clutch problems I'll most likely get one when I upgrade. Until then I'll take a less powerful machine and not have to worry about a clutch.

My opinion is to not change sub transmission while moving

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
I appreciate your input! I'm in a learning curve

No problem at all! The fact is every machine I've encountered has issues/drawbacks. The key is finding what you can live with and fits your riding style. Right now (for me) the 700 fits the bill. I'd love for some things to be different but I just haven't found anything that makes me want to trade it out.

cschomber63

cschomber63

Nov 14, 2016
Beloit
No problem at all! The fact is every machine I've encountered has issues/drawbacks. The key is finding what you can live with and fits your riding style. Right now (for me) the 700 fits the bill. I'd love for some things to be different but I just haven't found anything that makes me want to trade it out.

I respect that!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Well that sucks.. hate to hear that!
I'm not getting rid of it or anything, I'm sure I can expect the same quality and longevity that I've received from all my Honda products through the years. I'm just disappointed in a few aspects of the machine which have nothing to do with being able to take it everywhere a RZR can go.

Reactions: DGann and JTW
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

That may be something to get checked out. No matter how steep the hill, mine or my buddies have had that happen. It may only hold 10-15 mph with engine braking alone(which is terrible), but we've never had it upshift when not pushing the throttle.

I'm not sure if there are any adjustments or not. Maybe a oil level issue? Those things have been so reliable that I've never had to learn anything about them.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!