P700 Any regrets with 700 over 1000?

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks @joeymt33. I appreciate everything you have put on here and take it as the truth. I'm like alot of guys sitting here on the fence about whether or not to upgrade. I really have enjoyed my 700 and it has done everything thing I have asked of it. It does have it's flaws as stated above, but I can work around it. I am waiting to see if the parts break down for the new '17 1000 shows maybe a little hope of an upgrade on a few of it's flaws. I truley believe these machines 500, 700, or the 1000 are the best in there class and will give many enjoyable years whichever one you choose.

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
I am still a firm believer or that there are no design issues with the clutch. I think the issues are a bad part or improper assembly. I say that because my vehicle is very heavy with 30 inch tires and after well over 1000 miles of abusing it in the mud and rocky hills, it doesn't show any signs of clutch problems.

I can get my vehicle in a bind on rocks or in the mud where it won't spin the tires, if I punch the gas it will choke the motor down and kill it and the clutch will never slip! To me that's the way that it should be in the way that it was designed. If I stab the throttle, my vehicle will break the tires loose when shifting. It will bang thru all gears with firm tight shifts. @CPope has video of my vehicle stalling in thick mud. I wish I could get a copy of that so show you guys.

So for Honda to acknowledge the clutch problem, I think they should get higher quality parts or pin point the assembly problems.

Now with that said, I would love it if Honda would use lower gears in the sub trans and include reverse in the low range. I would also think it wouldn't hurt anything to use a more durable clutch material or make it larger.
Thanks for the feedback on your machine @joeymt33. You are most likely correct in your presumptions. There are too many instances of clutch issues for it to be a coincidence. I just want transparency and resolution so we can understand what is causing the problems and what the plan is to fix it. If it is better quality parts, that is totally fine. I'm not dropping that kind of money on a machine that I don't trust. Which is the reason I own a Honda in the first place. I didn't want to buy a machine like a RZR and not know whether I'd make it out of the woods. I don't want to be working on things that should not be breaking. I want to spend my time riding rather than wrenching. Don't get me wrong, I know we are beating on these machines but there is also a certain level of durability that I expect. Things happen I get that but the clutch, engine, transmission, etc, should not be having issues in my humble opinion Lol.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
You are right that the paddle shifters will allow you to keep it in first gear for the whole dissent down a hill. But that's no different than using auto mode as it will automatically downshift when braking on a hill and not in the gas.

I'm not saying that it's impossible for the vehicle to upshift while going down the hill using engine braking, but I never experienced that and I've never heard any of the guys that I ride with experience that. And we rode some extreme terrain.

The point is, whether you're in auto mode or using the paddle shifters in manual mode you're still in first gear on the hill dissent which is the same gear ratio that it's always been.

The guys above are correct that there is a benefit of using the paddle shifters when climbing a hill just to make sure that it doesn't upshift when you don't want it to.
As I said, I'll contact my dealer about this. I can only speak for the P7 that I'm riding which requires braking on hills that I would never touch the brake for in my P5 and unwanted up shifting unless I break to prevent it.

Reactions: joeymt33
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That's right bud. There are definitely issues. I'm not defending Honda, I just don't want people to think it's a design issue because then most people would have the problem including me for sure. If it was a design issue, that would mean all machines are built with the "weak link". Right now it seems that some have it and some don't.

Me, @Delton, and @drfubar have ridden this hill we call "female dog hill", it's the hardest I've ever worked my clutch. It's 1-4mph for about an hour going over rocks that require 4-lock for just about the entire trail. My machine was hot and burning my butt from that slow crawling but never a clutch issue.

Even @500 took his Yamaha up that hill with a belt drive and it survived too.

Another thought, could it be break in procedure? Choice of oil? Or riding style?

Last note, a clutch is a wear item and will have a life expectancy like brake pads. I just hope my clutches last another 2000 miles or more and I'd be pretty happy knowing hard I work it.

QuadMan747

QuadMan747

Nov 7, 2016
Connecticut
www.cccmx.com
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Other Brand
What type of terrain do you ride?
When I'm home I ride mostly tight lower speed trails, rocky New England stuff. I have no problem w/o the power steering creeping around in stream beds, ravines up and down hills and through fields. Working around my yard the 700 fits the bill. My buddy has a 1000 and in the woods and tight stuff the only advantage he may have is the PS, but I really like the 700. The smaller size is handy in the tight brush and trees as well.

When we go north up into the mountains and start to open them up it's a different story. His easily pulls away going up bigger hills and roads, has a way higher top speed and bottoms less, especially in the front. Doing 25 plus mph every so often I'll bottom out hard in the front on a washout, but I'm guessing he would also at those speeds. I'd probably want aftermarket suspension on the 700 and the 1000.

A thing to note would be his 1000 does seem to run allot hotter than mine, well by seat temperature anyway, especially if someone is in his middle seat, in the summer it's pretty much unbearable. He's added heat reflective tape to help but I think it's still pretty warm.

In saying that, if money was no object and I'm buying for the first time I'd go for the 1000 but I can't justify the money swapping for the 1000 right now, even though I'd like to just for the added power on wide open fire roads and such. I would think the "Fun Factor" would be worth it if I was just buying new. If the mood strikes me hard enough I might do it sooner or latter.

I'm not unhappy with my 700 though. It's a damn good dependable machine so that's why I keep it.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I started to refrain from replying to this thread because I feel like I am not qualified to give an answer to the OP's original question. However I think my opinion of the 700 might be relevant or might prompt some of you that have upgraded to respond.

I have the 700. It's only a year old and I have comparatively fewer miles than most.
I ride in a lot of shallow mud and water. I have noticed it lacking in power. Sometimes straining, unable to push faster than 6-8 mph. I would like (perhaps need) more power on the low end.

I don't need faster, I don't need paddle shift, I don't need seating for 5, I don't need self leveling.

It appears the 1000 provides the needed power. @joeymt33 mentioned his 1000 lugging in mud. That's the first time I've heard of a 1000 having lack of power.

The 700 is a fine machine. I'm proud of mine. But if I were buying one today, I think I'd opt for the 1000.

advertisement
LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4

Just did paperwork. Picking it up tomorrow afternoon
Cool! Mine is a 2016 and other than the things I've mentioned I love it. I hope you enjoy yours just as much!

Reactions: DGann
LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
Only thing right now is a winch.

Then eventually 1/2 windshield, roof, tires/wheels
If it were me I'd go roof and windshield first. After that I'd go tires and wheels. I've never even used a winch but just recently purchased one because they were running a sale.

Reactions: DGann and JTW
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Only thing right now is a winch.

Then eventually 1/2 windshield, roof, tires/wheels
All good accessories but you'll have Shocks in the cart soon enough.

Reactions: Tflynn and JTW
LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
Ive used my winches quite a bit in the past at work and at play. winch to me is a necessity.
Got ya... I've always used tow ropes or was able to get out of situations without one. To each and their own though...

Reactions: Jshell3
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!