P700 Any regrets with 700 over 1000?

J

JTW

I hope not. There's a lot a person can learn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol.. you quoted yourself and replied.. it just made me laugh.

IMG 1475

Reactions: DGann and joeymt33
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
That may be something to get checked out. No matter how steep the hill, mine or my buddies have had that happen. It may only hold 10-15 mph with engine braking alone(which is terrible), but we've never had it upshift when not pushing the throttle.

I'm not sure if there are any adjustments or not. Maybe a oil level issue? Those things have been so reliable that I've never had to learn anything about them.
Kind of the down side to buying one in Arkansas (at a dealer I know and trust) and then taking it to my property in New Mexico and leaving it. I'm not going to return it to Arkansas for service, and I'm 90 minutes from the nearest dealer in Santa Fe. But thanks for the tip, I'll give my dealer a call and ask about this. This is one reason why the 2017 P7 has to be better with the paddle shift mode for tight, steep trails. Getting up to 10-15 mph down so many steep hills isn't acceptable, that's not true engine breaking like the P5 has.

Last edited:
Reactions: DGann
LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
Kind of the down side to buying one in Arkansas (at a dealer I know and trust) and then taking it to my property and leaving it. I'm not going to return it to Arkansas for service, and I'm 90 minutes from the nearest dealer in Santa Fe. But thanks for the tip, I'll give my dealer a call and ask about this. This is one reason why the 2017 P7 has to be better with the paddle shift mode for tight, steep trails. Getting up to 10-15 mph down so many steep hills isn't acceptable, that's not true engine breaking like the P5 has.
Mine is the same way. I have to use brakes where I wish I could use engine braking. I've put several miles on mine now and still don't really have any noticeable pad wear.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Kind of the down side to buying one in Arkansas (at a dealer I know and trust) and then taking it to my property and leaving it. I'm not going to return it to Arkansas for service, and I'm 90 minutes from the nearest dealer in Santa Fe. But thanks for the tip, I'll give my dealer a call and ask about this. This is one reason why the 2017 P7 has to be better with the paddle shift mode for tight, steep trails. Getting up to 10-15 mph down so many steep hills isn't acceptable, that's not true engine breaking like the P5 has.

Remember, The paddle shifters won't help with engine braking at all. The paddle shifters will not change gear ratio. The paddle shifters will only give the driver manual control over the existing three gears that we've always had. In my experience of owning the pioneer 700, when I hit the break while going down the hill it will start downshifting for me and then hold first gear all the way down the hill. Even in first gear, the vehicle would still roll very fast depending on the steepness. We have a hill behind the house that would be a good test and the pioneer 700 would roll about 15 miles an hour down that hill in first gear. The hill is actually steep enough that if I am in 2WD the back tires would start sliding with engine braking only while going down the hill.

I would really like to get behind the wheel of a 2017 P700-D so I could test it out. But after studying the specs it looks as though it's still a three speed and they didn't change the gear ratios therefore it shouldn't change the downhill breaking feature.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
For the OP, we went last week to buy another pioneer and just couldn't bring ourselves to buying the pioneer 700 again. Having 12 forward gears, better engine braking, better ride, bigger OE tires, POWER STEERING, twice the HP and turf mode. Make it real hard to buy the P700. Sure it's $2000-3000 more but you really get a bargain for all those extra features in my opinion.

Check these prices: I think I paid more a couple years ago for my pioneer 700 than the P1000 is today!

97f916c90afc2d412b1d589aeb784551

B36a89fd85e1466e36b0d1708ef924aa

1740a3368e025f098b4ab38cf2e3d88b

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Haha, The engine braking that the P5 is ridiculous! I bet the P5 has enough engine braking to hold back three POPO's behind it. I still love that about my old Foreman.

Reactions: JTW
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Remember, The paddle shifters won't help with engine braking at all. The paddle shifters will not change gear ratio. The paddle shifters will only give the driver manual control over the existing three gears that we've always had. In my experience of owning the pioneer 700, when I hit the break while going down the hill it will start downshifting for me and then hold first gear all the way down the hill. Even in first gear, the vehicle would still roll very fast depending on the steepness. We have a hill behind the house that would be a good test and the pioneer 700 would roll about 15 miles an hour down that hill in first gear. The hill is actually steep enough that if I am in 2WD the back tires would start sliding with engine braking only while going down the hill.

I would really like to get behind the wheel of a 2017 P700-D so I could test it out. But after studying the specs it looks as though it's still a three speed and they didn't change the gear ratios therefore it shouldn't change the downhill breaking feature.
But can't you keep it in first with the paddle shift just as you might on your car by pulling the shifter arm down to 1 or L.....?

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

Sounds exactly like my Rincon although it usually topped out at 12-13MPH on the hill behind my house. I would also get extremely loud brake chatter from the single rear brake as I used it to keep from free wheeling off into the lake.

Very glad I went with the P1000 over the P700.

If Honda would put a sub transmission in the P700 and turf mode, they would own the mid-size sales.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Haha, The engine braking that the P5 is ridiculous! I bet the P5 has enough engine braking to hold back three POPO's behind it. I still love that about my old Foreman.
Yep, the P5 engine breaking is crazy good!

advertisement
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
But can't you keep it in first with the paddle shift just as you might on your car by pulling the shifter arm down to 1 or L.....?

What he is saying is that it downshifts to first automatically even in auto. (My Rincon did the same thing)

The advantage of the shifter on hills is going up, not down in my experience. In the Rincon, if you are giving it a good amount of throttle when going up a hill in auto, it would sometimes shift about 2/3rds of the way up the hill, usually at the steepest part :eek:, into 2nd gear and bog and then shift back into 1st and try to buck you off. With the ESP mode, you could force it to stay in 1st the whole ascent.

I would think that the P700 would be similar.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
What he is saying is that it downshifts to first automatically even in auto. (My Rincon did the same thing)

The advantage of the shifter on hills is going up, not down in my experience. In the Rincon, if you are giving it a good amount of throttle when going up a hill in auto, it would sometimes shift about 2/3rds of the way up the hill, usually at the steepest part :eek:, into 2nd gear and bog and then shift back into 1st and try to buck you off. With the ESP mode, you could force it to stay in 1st the whole ascent.

I would think that the P700 would be similar.
Lol, that would suck. Why couldn't you do the exact same thing in a decent? And I'm talking about unwanted up shifting, not downshifting.

Reactions: DGann
Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
For the OP, we went last week to buy another pioneer and just couldn't bring ourselves to buying the pioneer 700 again. Having 12 forward gears, better engine braking, better ride, bigger OE tires, POWER STEERING, twice the HP and turf mode. Make it real hard to buy the P700. Sure it's $2000-3000 more but you really get a bargain for all those extra features in my opinion.

Turf mode would be great, the 1000 was fun to drive for sure, but trying to keep myself realistic, the 1000 is more than I would use 95% of the time. If they were the same price, no question. But since i need to keep it as budget friendly as possible, the more i think about it, the more the 700 seems to make sense. The power steering version isnt an option for me, too pricey for my current budget

Reactions: joeymt33
LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
Lol.. you should have just bought the 1000
If Honda will acknowledge the clutch problem and fix it, I probably will at some point. Until then I will be fine with my 700. I don't need the extra horse power and I like the size of the 700 better.

Reactions: DGann and tjoreo
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If Honda will acknowledge the clutch problem and fix it, I probably will at some point. Until then I will be fine with my 700. I don't need the extra horse power and I like the size of the 700 better.
That's the main reason I am staying with my 700. I am going to be watching pretty hard this winter to see how many people have trouble with their clutches using a snow plow on the 1000. I pushed a little gravel around with my 700 and you can stall it out, and while still giving it a little throttle, you can bump up the plow and keep pushing. I just don't think the 1000 clutch could handle it in my opinion. Especially after watching cumminspusher burn his up with his park break applied. And even with the cost of the added power steering, it is still alot cheaper then the 1000. Heck you still have a couple of grand to upgrade what every you want. Just my 2 cents.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

You are right that the paddle shifters will allow you to keep it in first gear for the whole dissent down a hill. But that's no different than using auto mode as it will automatically downshift when braking on a hill and not in the gas.

I'm not saying that it's impossible for the vehicle to upshift while going down the hill using engine braking, but I never experienced that and I've never heard any of the guys that I ride with experience that. And we rode some extreme terrain.

The point is, whether you're in auto mode or using the paddle shifters in manual mode you're still in first gear on the hill dissent which is the same gear ratio that it's always been.

The guys above are correct that there is a benefit of using the paddle shifters when climbing a hill just to make sure that it doesn't upshift when you don't want it to.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

That's the main reason I am staying with my 700. I am going to be watching pretty hard this winter to see how many people have trouble with their clutches using a snow plow on the 1000. I pushed a little gravel around with my 700 and you can stall it out, and while still giving it a little throttle, you can bump up the plow and keep pushing. I just don't think the 1000 clutch could handle it in my opinion. Especially after watching cumminspusher burn his up with his park break applied. And even with the cost of the added power steering, it is still alot cheaper then the 1000. Heck you still have a couple of grand to upgrade what every you want. Just my 2 cents.

I am still a firm believer or that there are no design issues with the clutch. I think the issues are a bad part or improper assembly. I say that because my vehicle is very heavy with 30 inch tires and after well over 1000 miles of abusing it in the mud and rocky hills, it doesn't show any signs of clutch problems.

I can get my vehicle in a bind on rocks or in the mud where it won't spin the tires, if I punch the gas it will choke the motor down and kill it and the clutch will never slip! To me that's the way that it should be in the way that it was designed. If I stab the throttle, my vehicle will break the tires loose when shifting. It will bang thru all gears with firm tight shifts. @CPope has video of my vehicle stalling in thick mud. I wish I could get a copy of that so show you guys.

So for Honda to acknowledge the clutch problem, I think they should get higher quality parts or pin point the assembly problems.

Now with that said, I would love it if Honda would use lower gears in the sub trans and include reverse in the low range. I would also think it wouldn't hurt anything to use a more durable clutch material or make it larger.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!