P1000 Any suggestions for a spare gas can on a 1000-5

J

JAL

Nov 22, 2020
Medford, OR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking for a gas can with mount on the cage bars that is secure and can be secured from theft?
Rotopax sells a roll bar mounting plate. Beware, I once loss a non locking rotopax gas "can" at 65 mph. I sometimes run a cable lock through all my stuff externally mounted to secure them from becoming missiles on the the highway.

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When I looked into a Rotopax lock, they got terrible reviews for rust and corrosion.
Maybe they are improved now
20220409 084731

Last edited:
advertisement
StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've seen a few red and white jugs that say not for gasoline or water, which can mean they didn't submit to/pass tests or something.
I had a steel jerry can, which pumpkined in the heat - decided not to use a steel can anymore - vented or not.
But if you google it, there are lockable metal cages for the carrying jerry cans. That's probably as secure as you'll get.

I personally use one of the tall "racing" type 5 gallon jugs with the long clear spout. For 5 gallons, it has a smaller footprint in the bed or on the tailgate. I was also told that some UTV carbeque fires are caused by leaking gas cans that splash down to the muffler.
That long tube up top can stop that.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A friend of mine bought me a 2 gallon Rotopax for Christmas. I was pretty worried about someone stealing it and like was mentioned before, I got turned off by the rotopax locking mount. They say they can get rusted up and are very difficult to remove if they aren't maintained. I ended up making my own mount that uses a allen head bolt to remove the mount. I just hide a allen wrench in my rig so I can get the gas can off when I need. I was going to try a safety style allen head bolt with the center pin that takes a special allen wrench but thought at least a regular allen bolt might at least slow a quick thief down. I'm sure it can still be easily stolen but it gives me piece of mind. My only complaint about a spare gas can, is I store it on the rear end of my rig. It collects alot of mud and when I use it to fill up my rig, I have to be careful not to get mud and dirt into the gas tank.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Many options out there, rotopax works well.

D

duratime

Jan 26, 2022
Monterey,CA
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. 1000-5
A friend of mine bought me a 2 gallon Rotopax for Christmas. I was pretty worried about someone stealing it and like was mentioned before, I got turned off by the rotopax locking mount. They say they can get rusted up and are very difficult to remove if they aren't maintained. I ended up making my own mount that uses a allen head bolt to remove the mount. I just hide a allen wrench in my rig so I can get the gas can off when I need. I was going to try a safety style allen head bolt with the center pin that takes a special allen wrench but thought at least a regular allen bolt might at least slow a quick thief down. I'm sure it can still be easily stolen but it gives me piece of mind. My only complaint about a spare gas can, is I store it on the rear end of my rig. It collects alot of mud and when I use it to fill up my rig, I have to be careful not to get mud and dirt into the gas tank.
I wonder if you could work off this idea and used a locking lug nut instead of the allen head?

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wonder if you could work off this idea and used a locking lug nut instead of the allen head?
I'm sure that would work great. I didn't want to spend the money on the Rotopax mount so I ended up 3D printing the pieces. On the clamping outside piece that is thread, I just removed the bolt threads and made a recess for the hex bolt I used. This outside 3d printed piece didn't stand up to the expansion of the tank, so I ended up making it out of aluminum. The locking lug nut might be something to try.

Reactions: Lady01

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!