Anybody been to Silverton CO area this summer?

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Leaving for our annual CO trip on Fri and looking for updates on the Silverton area trails. I have heard that some of the trail passes are still closed with snow and the road to Animas Forks is blocked by avalanche debris? Any updates would be helpful.

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Leaving for our annual CO trip on Fri and looking for updates on the Silverton area trails. I have heard that some of the trail passes are still closed with snow and the road to Animas Forks is blocked by avalanche debris? Any updates would be helpful.
I have friends that have a house in Silverton and here is what they said yesterday.
No snow in town but still some higher up-several feet but less than 100 ft by not much. Not all passes open and limited amount trails for atvs . The atv people are out. Stoney Pass is open to the top.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@txsurfer you should have waited a couple months. We have a group ride in Colorado early September

Sept will prob be better for the Silverton area. We are going to start in Taylor Park which is a little lower. If you get a chance check out TP it really cool and UTV friendly..

advertisement
stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Yes, that is it. They are from my small home town where everyone knows them.

Terrible. I crossed Pole Creek on the way up Stony Pass in 1984 and it was so high that a wave broke across the hood of my 1984 Nissan 4x4 pickup. As the bed started drifting downstream, somehow, my little truck managed to climb up and out of it. (My son was less than a year old and was in the truck ahead of us with his mother). That was my first experience crossing relatively high, rushing water in a 4x4 and I have never forgotten it. You have to respect the power of rushing snow melt in the Rockies (and I'm not saying they didn't). Just a sad, sad situation all the way around. Prayers offered up for these folks.

Steve

J

JTW

Terrible. I crossed Pole Creek on the way up Stony Pass in 1984 and it was so high that a wave broke across the hood of my 1984 Nissan 4x4 pickup. As the bed started drifting downstream, somehow, my little truck managed to climb up and out of it. (My son was less than a year old and was in the truck ahead of us with his mother). That was my first experience crossing relatively high, rushing water in a 4x4 and I have never forgotten it. You have to respect the power of rushing snow melt in the Rockies (and I'm not saying they didn't). Just a sad, sad situation all the way around. Prayers offered up for these folks.

Steve
Yup.. my dad worked a many a drownings because people don’t understand the Royal f*** up they’re about to encounter when crossing moving water.

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Yup.. my dad worked a many a drownings because people don’t understand the Royal f*** up they’re about to encounter when crossing moving water.
The power of water is under estimated. When I was younger I was a member of search and rescue in Moffat County Colorado, during a recovery during spring high water I got caught in 2 rapids called upper and lower disaster on the Yampa River tho no fault of my own. I lived but had to be air lifted out by helicopter. That fast water beat the hell out of me and broke bones. To this day fast water scares the hell out of me.

J

JTW

Yeah.. anyone who wants to understand. Hit the Upper Gauley River in WV, in the fall on a raft trip when they’re discharging the lake!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The power of water is under estimated. When I was younger I was a member of search and rescue in Moffat County Colorado, during a recovery during spring high water I got caught in 2 rapids called upper and lower disaster on the Yampa River tho no fault of my own. I lived but had to be air lifted out by helicopter. That fast water beat the hell out of me and broke bones. To this day fast water scares the hell out of me.
Theres high water and fast water, the fast water high will kill you!

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Back to the OP's original question regarding current conditions, I too, would like to know, as we are anticipating a trip to the area in a month or so. I can only imagine that with record, or near-record snowfall this year, all of the creeks/rivers in the high country are going to be challenging to say the least. I heard that Arapaho Basin will be open for skiing tomorrow, the 4th of July for heaven's sake!

Steve

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Yeah.. anyone who wants to understand. Hit the Upper Gauley River in WV, in the fall on a raft trip when they’re discharging the lake!
Why are they discharging in the fall, seems like they would do that in early summer from all the spring rains?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Back to the OP's original question regarding current conditions, I too, would like to know, as we are anticipating a trip to the area in a month or so. I can only imagine that with record, or near-record snowfall this year, all of the creeks/rivers in the high country are going to be challenging to say the least. I heard that Arapaho Basin will be open for skiing tomorrow, the 4th of July for heaven's sake!

Steve
That would be fun!

Reactions: stellarpod
advertisement