BOX1

Are helmets required in Michigan?

B

bosshoff

May 16, 2016
Chicagoland
Hello. I am new to the SXS world. In Michigan, are helmets required for drivers and passengers? Are helmets required for kids under 16, etc. I know they are a good idea, I just want to know if they are legally required. Thanks.

Reactions: JenElio and ChadD
Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Hello. I am new to the SXS world. In Michigan, are helmets required for drivers and passengers? Are helmets required for kids under 16, etc. I know they are a good idea, I just want to know if they are legally required. Thanks.
Not on a side by side but on a four-wheeler it is.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
It's actually roll cage and seat belts, with those... no helmet required.
Being new to this and preparing to ride ORV routes in MI, I was reading the 2021 Handbook of Michigan Off-Road Vehicle Laws and Riding Basics. It stated that "All ORV operators and passengers must wear a US Department of Transportation-approved crash helmet and protective eyewear, except when:" ... and the first exception was "The operator and passengers are wearing properly adjusted and fastened safety belts in an ORV equipped with a roof that meets or exceeds the standards for a crash helmet."

So does a roll cage meet this requirement even if it doesn't have a roof?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I would think so. A roll cage is better protection than our plastic roofs. A lot of these rules are up to interpretation. If the LEO wants to be an a**hole he'll find something to hit you with. I've actually been pulled over twice, both times in the St Helen area. Once for not coming to a complete stop at a four way on the trail. Once for going too fast on the road. I had just taken off that Silent Rider at the trail head and burning out the carbon. I think both times they were looking for open alcohol and let me go with warnings.
On a side note, he ran my stickers and I heard the reply from dispatch over the radio. They knew everything about me.

Reactions: JenElio and Scoop
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I would think so. A roll cage is better protection than our plastic roofs.
Thanks. That's for sure. I just couldn't figure out why the handbook says "roof" when it should say roll cage. How the heck are you gonna have a "roof" without something to hold it up? :)

A lot of these rules are up to interpretation. If the LEO wants to be an a**hole he'll find something to hit you with. I've actually been pulled over twice, both times in the St Helen area. Once for not coming to a complete stop at a four way on the trail. Once for going too fast on the road. I had just taken off that Silent Rider at the trail head and burning out the carbon. I think both times they were looking for open alcohol and let me go with warnings.
On a side note, he ran my stickers and I heard the reply from dispatch over the radio. They knew everything about me.
I could tell you a thing or two about that ... ;)

Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Thanks. That's for sure. I just couldn't figure out why the handbook says "roof" when it should say roll cage. How the heck are you gonna have a "roof" without something to hold it up? :)

I could tell you a thing or two about that ... ;)
The technical name for the Honda roll cage is ROPS. Its labeled on machine.

Reactions: JenElio
toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
A roll cage doesn't work very good without a roof in the sand. The roll bars will sink into the sand and you could still get crushed.

I'm not sure what the law means reading it above, but if you ride in sand I would recommend a roof.

Reactions: JenElio and Scoop
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
The technical name for the Honda roll cage is ROPS. Its labeled on machine.
Yes, I learned that when I first seriously considered my first SXS ... 😎

• Haha
Reactions: Remington
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
A roll cage doesn't work very good without a roof in the sand. The roll bars will sink into the sand and you could still get crushed.

I'm not sure what the law means reading it above, but if you ride in sand I would recommend a roof.
The gooberment is responsible for the wording, so I'm not surprised.

• Haha
Reactions: Smitty335
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!