P700 Are these plugs fouled (pics)

bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's possible, premium has a slower burn rate than a lower octane. Running a higher octane than the engine needs is flushing money down the drain. Make the dealer install spec plugs - they're idiots for that reason alone.

fwiw: since the 700 seems to have one plug that burns blacker than the other, I'd try a one step hotter plug in that location. This is because I'm a closet motorhead, so proceed at your own risk.
How high of a octane are u running

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
How high of a octane are u running
The Talon manual (my ride) calls for 86 or higher, our mid grade is 87 so that's what I'm running. I ride at 7k + altitude, no air, less compression pressure. Since 86 is good at sea level, it's super safe up here.

bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The Talon manual (my ride) calls for 86 or higher, our mid grade is 87 so that's what I'm running. I ride at 7k + altitude, no air, less compression pressure. Since 86 is good at sea level, it's super safe up here.
Sorry that was suppose to go to other guy but yeah I'm running 87 winter 93 summer keeps valves from rattlingly when its super hot . Anything above 93 a waste i got 100 that I run in a bored x stroke 300ex it has 13.1 compression i mixed some of that down when I didnt feel like running to store and p1000 didnt like it!

Reactions: CID
R

RedLevel

Nov 20, 2020
iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You better be positive it isn't contaminated fuel. Sounds like some diesel got mixed in somewhere. Check your barrel.

G

Griff

Oct 29, 2016
Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Plug definitely looks rich,as @BigMac said double check the gap, too much gap will retard the timing. I would try 87 octane non ethanol. It would lean it up over using premium
That’s funny.

Mopower58

Mopower58

No reservations about no reservations
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Honda recomends 87 octane. Starts easier and runs leaner. Why pay more for premium that doesn't help?

Reactions: Smitty335
R

RLovgren

Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2019
Albemarle NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
First off, I'm new to SxSs but with today's fuels, plugs burn almost white. If that's also true with SxSs it looks like you're burning way too rich. Normally, that's caused by short trips without warm ups but that's not your problem.

Semantics - a fouled plug won't fire so you could hook up the plug wire and ground the plug, crank the engine over and see if you have spark. No spark, fouled. Even if they spark they still shouldn't be black.
Just keep in mind that plugs that won't fire under compression (in the cylinder) may visibly spark when you test them out of the cylinder. Compression inhibits sparking

Reactions: Smitty335 and CID
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Just keep in mind that plugs that won't fire under compression (in the cylinder) may visibly spark when you test them out of the cylinder. Compression inhibits sparking
Didn't know, so are you saying it may show a spark outside of the cylinder and still be faulty?

Reactions: CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Good point - I agree.
Didn't know, so are you saying it may show a spark outside of the cylinder and still be faulty?
Yeppers, but it's still a valid trouble shooting idea.

R

RLovgren

Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2019
Albemarle NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good point - I agree.
Yeppers, but it's still a valid trouble shooting idea.
Yes. but like it has been mentioned, it still is a good test. Champion makes a spark plug tester that uses compressed air. you can increase the pressure until the spark fails or is irregular and compare it to the compression spec of your engine. These are only found in repair shops and I'd be willing to bet that if you get a spark the simple way, outside the cylinder, its probably ok. My guess, for what it's worth, is that the plugs are either the wrong heat range or gap. Or engine is running too rich. The larger the gap on a spark, the hotter the spark but also the shorter the duration of the spark. I am not very knowledgeable on SXS's but on cars the fuel mixture is so lean that the spark has to last until all the fuel is burned. not like the old days when once the fuel air mixture is ignited it will keep burning on its own. Big gap = short duration, small gap = long duration

Reactions: Smitty335 and CID
Slackjaw

Slackjaw

Feb 11, 2020
Durham NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
At a 40,000 foot fly over read, I noticed you said same gas can as your saws. You wouldn't be inadvertently be using mixed oil and gas in your rig. Maybe why it looks and runs rich.
Just sayin

Definitely a good thought.
The mixed gas is in a 1 gallon can. No
chance of mixing it up. I bet it would smoke like a chimney with 40:1.

R

Ron_Vorwerk

Apr 25, 2019
Mediapolis, IA
Ownership

1. 700-2
Everyone has strong opinions about these type of things, so not trying to start something. However I recommend you move to Champion Spark Plugs. Champion (Owned by Tenneco)... has a mfg facility in Iowa. US based company.

Reactions: CID and Mudwing
Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
Everyone has strong opinions about these type of things, so not trying to start something. However I recommend you move to Champion Spark Plugs. Champion (Owned by Tenneco)... has a mfg facility in Iowa. US based company.
Do you know the crossover part number? 🙂 Could you post a link, please? 🙂

R

RandalH

Oct 30, 2020
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Just did a search..

Reactions: Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!