BOX1

P700 What are OEM air filters oiled with?

B

BKelly

May 7, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 700-4
Does anyone know what oil Honda uses on their OEM air filters? I ordered some OEM air filters and some notoil to treat them with, but the new filters arrived in honda packaging pre-oiled. Which on one hand is nice. But I bought the notoil to get away from petroleum based cleaning products. Honda sells notiol filter cleaner and filter oil under the Honda label, so should I assume the new filters are treated with notoil too? Or do i play roulette and see if the notiol cleaner cleans them (its not supposed to work on petroluem oils)? The new filters have a clear to maybe a bit of red tint to the oil. Not sure they could have made this anymore complicated. Any help appreciated.

Reactions: Isaiah
Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
Does anyone know what oil Honda uses on their OEM air filters? I ordered some OEM air filters and some notoil to treat them with, but the new filters arrived in honda packaging pre-oiled. Which on one hand is nice. But I bought the notoil to get away from petroleum based cleaning products. Honda sells notiol filter cleaner and filter oil under the Honda label, so should I assume the new filters are treated with notoil too? Or do i play roulette and see if the notiol cleaner cleans them (its not supposed to work on petroluem oils)? The new filters have a clear to maybe a bit of red tint to the oil. Not sure they could have made this anymore complicated. Any help appreciated.
F7AD76EA FAEB 43AE BDF9 91DA83129142
I used this from the dealer. They said it was compatible with Honda’s oil. It works great. 😉 Plus, it smells like cherries 🍒 They said something about cleaning the Honda oil off before using notoil
2107B936 EEBB 48AB 9372 658B696FF6C4
Keep a spare on hand to swap fast. 😎

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
@HondaTech told me once. Maybe No Toil?

Anyway, there are several FOAM FILTER oils out there. I do recommend that you use the same brand cleaner, as brand x cleaner doesn't always do a good job removing brand y oil.

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
Reactions: L2R and Mudwing
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
The OEM filter you have will have dino oil on it.
Use a solvent to wash it, not the No toil detergent.

FYI, I heard years ago the no toil name is a play on words.
It is NoT oil.
I think it is alcohol based, that is why you let it dry.
The alcohol evaporates off and leaves behind the sticky (whatever that stuff is).

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
The OEM filter you have will have dino oil on it.
Use a solvent to wash it, not the No toil detergent.

FYI, I heard years ago the no toil name is a play on words.
It is NoT oil.
I think it is alcohol based, that is why you let it dry.
The alcohol evaporates off and leaves behind the sticky (whatever that stuff is).
Maybe it was you who told me?

Reactions: Isaiah
B

BKelly

May 7, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thanks for the replies..very helpful. So, if I wanted to use notoil it sounds like i need to start with an untreated aftermarket filter? Like I said, its pretty confusing....especially when honda sells notoil under the Honda label. Does this mean honda doesn't want you to use their oem filters if you use their own notoil products? Or do they sell an untreated filter? 🤔

Screen Shot 2020 06 12 at 104132 AM

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I think the issue is you have to use the correct method to remove the filter oil.
If you want to switch to Notoil then wash the OEM filter with solvent.
Let it dry.
Then apply the Notoil.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Confession: I've been using GAS to clean my filters. I know...its bad for them. But I always have it and it works so well.

And while we're going all "Chunk" here, I use the cheapest oil filters I can find, and I still haven't changed my front diff oil.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
The gas is probably harder on your hands that it is on the filter.
For convenience and availability it is hard to beat.
We'll...I've never had an issue, but that's what "they" say. Does make the filter swell up temporarily like one of those cereal box toys.
I use purple degreaser and dawn to wash old PJ1 out of mine .
I could never get either to work well, but maybe it's the brand of oils I was using.

H

HondaTech

I've used the notoil cleaner and oil for my offroad filters simply because I can dump the waste wherever.

Honda atv filters come with what appears to be engine oil. The dirtbike filters have a tacky blue oil, why they don't put that on the atv and sxs stuff is mind blowing to me. That blue stuff is sticky as all hell.

tradosaurus

tradosaurus

Jun 2, 2019
Texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
I checked my air filter this weekend and whatever is on it is very sticky. Foam filter looked fine and the can filter looked undamaged.

B

BKelly

May 7, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 700-4
OK, thanks everyone. Here's what I think I've learned. OEM filters are oiled but not with notoil...not sure with what though but it's petroleum based. Need to clean OEM well with either dawn or PJ1 or similar product and then can use notoil. I like the idea of notoil for the same reason @HondaTech mentioned--its ease of cleanup. Also agree with @Mudwing that a spare OEM on hand that is ready to go makes great sense.

Reactions: Mudwing and Isaiah
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!