P700 go to air filter.......

livefromthetree

livefromthetree

It was a damn good ride. Seriously good.
Supporting Member
Jun 4, 2020
Mount Vernon Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Do y’all clean and re oil the Honda filter or replace each time ?

I've been cleaning mine and the oil change kit I get comes with a filter, so I have several stored. Have a change coming up this weekend and will replace it for the 1st time just because. 2400 or so miles now

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
Do y’all clean and re oil the Honda filter or replace each time ?
Clean and re oil. You have to use the PJ1 cleaner. Keep a spare filter ready to swap as the filter needs time to dry before oiling. There is another way to oil is use No-Toil which is actually not oil. But you need to clean every molecule of oil off before using that and you can’t mix the two. 😎

livefromthetree

livefromthetree

Supporting Member
Jun 4, 2020
Mount Vernon Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Clean and re oil. You have to use the PJ1 cleaner. Keep a spare filter ready to swap as the filter needs time to dry before oiling. There is another way to oil is use No-Toil which is actually not oil. But you need to clean every molecule of oil off before using that and you can’t mix the two. 😎

Hey @Mudwing

I changed the oil over weekend and in process replaced the air filter and used PJ1 for the 1st time. Basically I used a new pre-oiled filter (comes with the kit I buy) and sprayed it down with the PJ1 and reinstalled. When I first tried to start, it hesitated and chugged and turned off. After a couple of tries it started fine. I rode it yesterday and it may be my imagination, but it seems like it is running a little rough.

Reading your reply makes me wonder if I was supposed to clean the oil off the new filter before hitting it with the PJ1 and if that's why it feels a little rough or sluggish.

Pic just because :cool:

20210718 112039

Reactions: Kinlaw and Mudwing
Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hey @Mudwing

I changed the oil over weekend and in process replaced the air filter and used PJ1 for the 1st time. Basically I used a new pre-oiled filter (comes with the kit I buy) and sprayed it down with the PJ1 and reinstalled. When I first tried to start, it hesitated and chugged and turned off. After a couple of tries it started fine. I rode it yesterday and it may be my imagination, but it seems like it is running a little rough.

Reading your reply makes me wonder if I was supposed to clean the oil off the new filter before hitting it with the PJ1 and if that's why it feels a little rough or sluggish.

Pic just because :cool:

View attachment 284600
It’s a good question. We’ve been back and forth about oiling the new filter before. @DG Rider has been the resident tester for oiling filters. I don’t know if over oiling is your issue but I had my engine cut out due to a dirty filter. Have you checked your valves yet?

livefromthetree

livefromthetree

Supporting Member
Jun 4, 2020
Mount Vernon Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
It’s a good question. We’ve been back and forth about oiling the new filter before. @DG Rider has been the resident tester for oiling filters. I don’t know if over oiling is your issue but I had my engine cut out due to a dirty filter. Have you checked your valves yet?

No, I am almost mechanical enough to change the oil and filter...almost :p. I didnt even think about the valves since it was only sluggish after changing the air filter. Actually thinking back, it was fine when starting between oil level and leak checks after changing the oil. I changed the air filter after all of that and then it started choking out.

I ran it about 30 miles last eve and it started right up and ran without issue, but it just seems like it's rougher.

Reactions: Mudwing
Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
No, I am almost mechanical enough to change the oil and filter...almost :p. I didnt even think about the valves since it was only sluggish after changing the air filter. Actually thinking back, it was fine when starting between oil level and leak checks after changing the oil. I changed the air filter after all of that and then it started choking out.

I ran it about 30 miles last eve and it started right up and ran without issue, but it just seems like it's rougher.
I would run it. Clean the other filter per instructions then swap it out. See if that changes. Maybe you’re ultra tuned in and it’s in your head.

Reactions: livefromthetree
livefromthetree

livefromthetree

Supporting Member
Jun 4, 2020
Mount Vernon Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I would run it. Clean the other filter per instructions then swap it out. See if that changes. Maybe you’re ultra tuned in and it’s in your head.

Good plan, I have a few filters ready to go, will just swap back to the yellow and see if my head clears up 🤪. Hell I never even thought about switching the filter out to see if that helps. Damn alkyhol

• Haha
Reactions: Mudwing
Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
Good plan, I have a few filters ready to go, will just swap back to the yellow and see if my head clears up 🤪. Hell I never even thought about switching the filter out to see if that helps. Damn alkyhol
All hood in the hood. That’s what the forum is for. 😎🤣

• Haha
Reactions: livefromthetree
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
For sure I would oil the new Honda filters based on what I've seen...

I typically oil in in a zip lock bag since I usually use the liquid stuff. I over oil it, squeeze it, and then leave it in the bag out of the bottom. It can take a few hours to stop dripping.
I haven't used aerosol in a while, so I don't remember what it's like, but certainly, throwing the filter on right away using my way (without letting it drip) could choke a machine down.

livefromthetree

livefromthetree

Supporting Member
Jun 4, 2020
Mount Vernon Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
For sure I would oil the new Honda filters based on what I've seen...

I typically oil in in a zip lock bag since I usually use the liquid stuff. I over oil it, squeeze it, and then leave it in the bag out of the bottom. It can take a few hours to stop dripping.
I haven't used aerosol in a while, so I don't remember what it's like, but certainly, throwing the filter on right away using my way (without letting it drip) could choke a machine down.

Thx DG. The filters that come with my oil change kits are oily already, do they need more than what's there?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!