P700 Are these plugs fouled (pics)

Slackjaw

Slackjaw

Feb 11, 2020
Durham NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
Back story:

This plug was installed at the dealership about 5 gallons of fuel ago. Backstory in link above. The machine is stalling again, alot. Stalled 4 times just loading it on the trailer.

It ran fine for the 5 gallons of gas with new plugs, then it didn't. I pulled the bottom plug to get a picture for record. It's a NGK CPR8EB 9.
Previous posts spec the NGK CPR6EB 9.
Not sure if this is a problem.

Anyway, I don't idle the machine much at all.
5 mins or so on cold mornings. I drive the machine minimum of 3 miles every time it's started. Usually at 3/4 throttle since I live on a 2 Mile gravel road. The machine has about 4-5 tanks of fuel through it since bought new.
(2019).
I'm looking for ideas on what could be causing this issue.

I Always use fresh non ethanol high test fuel.
I use the same fuel in all my saws and small engines with zero issues. (Same fuel can).

PXL 20201206 144259931
PXL 20201206 144209421
PXL 20201206 144313847

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
First off, I'm new to SxSs but with today's fuels, plugs burn almost white. If that's also true with SxSs it looks like you're burning way too rich. Normally, that's caused by short trips without warm ups but that's not your problem.

Semantics - a fouled plug won't fire so you could hook up the plug wire and ground the plug, crank the engine over and see if you have spark. No spark, fouled. Even if they spark they still shouldn't be black.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
To add - I was assuming the factory spec'd plug. Since I'm not a Honda engineer, I insist on using factory spec'd plugs in any engine. If not factory spec, your plugs could be too cold.

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
Back story:

This plug was installed at the dealership about 5 gallons of fuel ago. Backstory in link above. The machine is stalling again, alot. Stalled 4 times just loading it on the trailer.

It ran fine for the 5 gallons of gas with new plugs, then it didn't. I pulled the bottom plug to get a picture for record. It's a NGK CPR8EB 9.
Previous posts spec the NGK CPR6EB 9.
Not sure if this is a problem.

Anyway, I don't idle the machine much at all.
5 mins or so on cold mornings. I drive the machine minimum of 3 miles every time it's started. Usually at 3/4 throttle since I live on a 2 Mile gravel road. The machine has about 4-5 tanks of fuel through it since bought new.
(2019).
I'm looking for ideas on what could be causing this issue.

I Always use fresh non ethanol high test fuel.
I use the same fuel in all my saws and small engines with zero issues. (Same fuel can).

View attachment 239597View attachment 239598View attachment 239599
My plugs looked like that but not as bad. It was still running good so I just replaced them. I figured because of the two plugs for one cylinder. If you’re questioning plugs just change them. I’m surprised the dealer can’t figure it out. 😉

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My plugs looked like that but not as bad. It was still running good so I just replaced them. I figured because of the two plugs for one cylinder. If you’re questioning plugs just change them. I’m surprised the dealer can’t figure it out. 😉
Those plugs aren’t cheap. Last I looked they were about $30 or so each.

BigMac

BigMac

Sep 22, 2015
Ownership

1. 700-2
Looks to rich. I believe your gap is much to wide. Should be in manual. Need feeler gage or about same as paper match book cover. To wide gap cause hard to start.

Suggest you call them and find out what’s up. They should not told you it was ready. I believe you have real cause to request refund if not to late.

I would look hard for another dealership to work on it.

Mopower58

Mopower58

No reservations about no reservations
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Plug definitely looks rich,as @BigMac said double check the gap, too much gap will retard the timing. I would try 87 octane non ethanol. It would lean it up over using premium

BigMac

BigMac

Sep 22, 2015
Ownership

1. 700-2

H

HondaTech

The first thing I'd try would the correct heat range plug, it appears they've put in "8" instead of the recommended "6"

NGK plugs are colder heat range the higher the number, so your 2 steps colder than the recommended plug. If that doesn't eliminate the fouling issue then maybe there is another issue or the machine isn't getting hot enough.

Slackjaw

Slackjaw

Feb 11, 2020
Durham NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thanks @HondaTech
I opened/reopened the ticket with Honda.
I may use a different dealership. My confidence in the local one is very low.
It's strange that they would install a colder plug, especially since the original set was fouled badly according to them.
I'm very curious if me running only hi test premium non ethanol is causing this issue.
It would really suck, logistic wise, to keep crappy low octane fuel on hand just for this bike. The issue started immediately after they installed the new (recall) fuel pump so my money is on that job being the root cause.

According to them, all they did was swap the plugs. It's run ok for approximately a tank of fuel, now it's stalls out almost immediately after putting in gear and giving fuel. I get about 4 seconds of acceleration before it dies. No sputtering, it just stalls out like a kill switch was pushed.

I'm REALLY glad we didn't take that trip to the ATV park. That would have been a disaster to break down on the trail, in the winter.
My GF would have freaked out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mudwing
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks @HondaTech
I opened/reopened the ticket with Honda.
I may use a different dealership. My confidence in the local one is very low.
It's strange that they would install a colder plug, especially since the original set was fouled badly according to them.
I'm very curious if me running only hi test premium non ethanol is causing this issue.
It's possible, premium has a slower burn rate than a lower octane. Running a higher octane than the engine needs is flushing money down the drain. Make the dealer install spec plugs - they're idiots for that reason alone.

fwiw: since the 700 seems to have one plug that burns blacker than the other, I'd try a one step hotter plug in that location. This is because I'm a closet motorhead, so proceed at your own risk.

Diyguy

Diyguy

Dec 5, 2020
Colorado
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Stock OEM plugs. Octane reccomended by the manual. I have done this on every motor I have owned without issue.

Reactions: CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!