Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Since this is bouncing around in the FB world I thought I would bring up here to address and get comments.

AR has two bills that are being voted on or up to be voted on this session that could effect how we ride. I am not a lawyer, don't pretend to be one and have not stayed in a holiday Inn is quite a while so that it for what it is worth :cool: (and note the below is copied directly from another post on FB)

Bill #1
(HB1148) "TO AMEND THE LAW CONCERNING THE DEFENSES TO PROSECUTION FOR A VIOLATION OF OPERATING AN ALL-TERRAIN VEHICLE... UPON A PUBLIC STREET OR HIGHWAY."
http://www.arkleg.state.ar.us/…/2017R/Pages/BillInformation…
Basically saying that all OHV are banned from public roads.

Bill #2
(HB1920) "TO ALLOW THE OPERATION OF STREET-LEGAL ALL-TERRAIN VEHICLES ON PUBLIC STREETS AND HIGHWAYS; TO CREATE THE STREET-LEGAL ALL-TERRAIN VEHICLE EDUCATION AND SAFETY PROGRAM; AND TO CREATE THE CONCEALED HANDGUN CARRY FEE-REDUCTION FUND."

Still a lot of question out there but I see it as this - Where we once could jump on a road for a short distance that is being taken away with plans to pass a bill that will allow us to register our OHV and take training to be allowed to ride on the road with restrictions. Registration is proposed to be $35 but you have to register which I hear means some people who did not inform the state they had purchased said machine would have to do so thus adding to their personal property (taxable) , also install horn, blinkers etc..

You also can not drive on a road with post MPH above 55

Again I don't know what all the lang means in the bills and it looks to be a little bit of a pain but I could go for it and I am going to check out a way to drive the to work ;) one day!
Tagging a few of you for attention and comments
@nbomar @Tigermark @Smitty335 @mystic1219

Reactions: Smitty335
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Since this is bouncing around in the FB world I thought I would bring up here to address and get comments.

AR has two bills that are being voted on or up to be voted on this session that could effect how we ride. I am not a lawyer, don't pretend to be one and have not stayed in a holiday Inn is quite a while so that it for what it is worth :cool: (and note the below is copied directly from another post on FB)

Bill #1
(HB1148) "TO AMEND THE LAW CONCERNING THE DEFENSES TO PROSECUTION FOR A VIOLATION OF OPERATING AN ALL-TERRAIN VEHICLE... UPON A PUBLIC STREET OR HIGHWAY."

Bill #2
(HB1920) "TO ALLOW THE OPERATION OF STREET-LEGAL ALL-TERRAIN VEHICLES ON PUBLIC STREETS AND HIGHWAYS; TO CREATE THE STREET-LEGAL ALL-TERRAIN VEHICLE EDUCATION AND SAFETY PROGRAM; AND TO CREATE THE CONCEALED HANDGUN CARRY FEE-REDUCTION FUND."

Still a lot of question out there but I see it as this - Where we once could jump on a road for a short distance that is being taken away with plans to pass a bill that will allow us to register our OHV and take training to be allowed to ride on the road with restrictions. Registration is proposed to be $35 but you have to register which I hear means some people who did not inform the state they had purchased said machine would have to do so thus adding to their personal property (taxable) , also install horn, blinkers etc..

Again I don't know what all the lang means in the bills and it looks to be a little bit of a pain but I could go for it and I am going to check out a way to drive the to work ;) one day!

Just a way for the state to charge you for something that they shouldn't.

If you own 1 or 25 cars you should pay one fee. You can only drive one at a time.
Why are you taxed to purchase or own anything? The municipality doesn't pay for upkeep on it. Hell where we live we even patch our own damn road because there's so few people per mile the county doesn't keep it up at all.

They use google map photos to adjust property taxes if you build an out building to get more tax rev. We get no services from the county, only power from AlaPower (private power company), don't see why we should pay anything to them.

On top of that my wife is a teacher so we shouldn't pay ANY tax since she has a masters degree, works 60hrs a week, and gets paid peanuts.

You opened the door I made myself at home.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just a way for the state to charge you for something that they shouldn't.

If you own 1 or 25 cars you should pay one fee. You can only drive one at a time.
Why are you taxed to purchase or own anything? The municipality doesn't pay for upkeep on it. Hell where we live we even patch our own damn road because there's so few people per mile the county doesn't keep it up at all.

They use google map photos to adjust property taxes if you build an out building to get more tax rev. We get no services from the county, only power from AlaPower (private power company), don't see why we should pay anything to them.

On top of that my wife is a teacher so we shouldn't pay ANY tax since she has a masters degree, works 60hrs a week, and gets paid peanuts.

You opened the door I made myself at home.
@ohanacreek I agree with you -> my wife also works for the school system here (crazy hours). Most of AR is rural I would say and tractors, buggys and everything else can be seen on them going from place to place for short distances.. Should not be a problem to drive from Trail head to trail head or property to property for a short distance in a SXS..

However If I have to get a license - I am going to drive my Honda to the Bella Vista Harps (one of the few grocery stores that you can still park up by the front door as well as plot other routes

There are some benefits to being able to drive your sxs on the road as some of the trail area we can go to - this would allow us to ride into specific areas to grab lunch etc if we wanted. several times I have known groups who take a trail and end up having to take a "Short cut" to get back to where they started.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Bill #1

Bill #2

The way I understand it, even in the AR Nat forests you are supposed to have the little yellow sticker and the only way to get the sticker is to assesses your ride. Now, if and when they enforce this is another question. I have one and will be paying through the nose for it for years, shouldn't have listened to the dealership.

Reactions: Landman
nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My sxs is farm use. I might change my mind and pay taxes if I could ride it on the road and get more use out of it. The is a no brainer to me. It's not like Arkansas is paving the way with broad new utv legislation. Other states have them fully street legal already...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
My sxs is farm use. I might change my mind and pay taxes if I could ride it on the road and get more use out of it. The is a no brainer to me. It's not like Arkansas is paving the way with broad new utv legislation. Other states have them fully street legal already...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is AR, check out school zone speed limits, time wise.

Landman

Landman

The Great Bearded One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I know this thread is a few months old, but...

Most of my family/friends bought Yamaha Rhinos/RZRs some years back, but nobody I know ever assessed their SxS and I wasn't planning on doing it either. However, the lady in the finance dept at Honda of Russellville said they now have to mail the paperwork directly to the county I live in so it will be automatically assessed. It'd be fine if that was an option, but forcing it??? When I said I wasn't happy with that she just blew it off saying I could remove it later, lol...

Reactions: Ragnar406
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know this thread is a few months old, but...

Most of my family/friends bought Yamaha Rhinos/RZRs some years back, but nobody I know ever assessed their SxS and I wasn't planning on doing it either. However, the lady in the finance dept at Honda of Russellville said they now have to mail the paperwork directly to the county I live in so it will be automatically assessed. It'd be fine if that was an option, but forcing it??? When I said I wasn't happy with that she just blew it off saying I could remove it later, lol...
Interesting - The Honda shop up here did not forward anything so this might be new - I have not heard anything else on the bill as of yet..

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!