BOX1

P1000 Auto versus manual what’s the benefit?

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
One thing that still puzzles me is the option to have manual only mode. What exactly is the possible benefit when the paddle shifters override the shifting when in automatic mode? If I’m in auto and at anytime I can downshift or upshift, then that is the best of both worlds and I just don’t see anything I can do in manual mode that I cannot do in auto mode by using the paddle shifters to override. Can someone explain that?

Not that I use it for racing, but in sport mode, when you get on it maximum acceleration, it shifts at very high rpm’s. Or in other words if you were to say the advantages in manual mode, is you can maximize rpm or speed before shifting, I find that you can’t go any higher in manual then automatic does anyway, as going past the rpm’s in manual where it shifts automatically now, is reving too high and could possibly blow the engine!

Last edited:
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
In manual mode you can keep it in one gear for maintaining a certain speed, for tasks such as pulling a heavy trailer, a brush mower, seeding a food pot, etc. Sometimes in those applications its better to not have the machine shifting gears on you when you're normally at a threshold speed it would shift up and down repeatedly when not necessary.

S

Skjerv40

May 14, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree. Manual comes in very handy pushing and pulling in low (pushing snow or pulling a drag as examples) while trying to stay at consistent speeds or rpm. I feel the machine is geared too low in low range auto and rev’s like a S.OB. Manual cleans it up a bit, but takes a little while to get the hang of. That is all I use manual for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In low auto it drove me crazy constantly shifting between 1st and 2nd on trails. So i started using manual. That was over 2yrs ago. In past 2yrs ive used auto maybe 4 or 5 times even on the street.

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
One thing I noticed this last week, is unlike high range, if you are in low auto, the paddles don’t work. Low manual is the only place you can choose your gear.
Wonder why?

Reactions: BWAF
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
One thing I noticed this last week, is unlike high range, if you are in low auto, the paddles don’t work. Low manual is the only place you can choose your gear.
Wonder why?

If I’m not mistaken I’ll check out today but I’m almost 100% positive it doesn’t matter if you’re in low or high the paddle shifters override.

And thanks everyone for your replies I guess I haven’t really done any of those activities so that would explain one reason for it. In my experience if I’m going a certain speed it doesn’t shift back-and-forth, but again I’m not really pulling anything either lol

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Wonder why?

Yep!!! My paddle shifters override auto to manual if I’m in automatic mode, either high or low! Maybe you have a different year model?

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When climbing a steep or technical hill you always want manual for better control.
Keep it in 1st or 2nd. You control the shift points up to the rev limiter and eliminate the gear change power loss.

Used it a dozen times this weekend.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yep!!! My paddle shifters override auto to manual if I’m in automatic mode, either high or low! Maybe you have a different year model?

Interesting... your paddles worked in low range auto?

huh.. well.. there was a bit of alcohol involved last week, maybe THAT was the problem! :)

Now I'm gonna have to try it again.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When climbing a steep or technical hill you always want manual for better control.
Keep it in 1st or 2nd. You control the shift points up to the rev limiter and eliminate the gear change power loss.

I learned to appreachiate that technique this weekend as well.

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use manual a lot in LOW mode to control the shifting when trail riding. Like @Delton said it’s very “jumpy” searching for the right gear in auto. I just use manual and hold the gear I want. This also is very useful on big hills where it will try to shift up then immediately shift back down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J

JTW

Exactly... if you haven’t figured out why manual is awesome... then you need to ride harder!

Cal

Cal

Apr 15, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use manual a lot for the same reason the others mentioned as well as trail riding. Depending on the mood I'm in and who's with me (wife, kids, etc.), I'll use manual on the trails. I don't like it if I'm approaching a hill or incline, or some other technical obstacle and right before I get there it tries to shift up. I tend to use the paddles a lot while in auto, but full manual is nice when you want that full control because I can see what's in front of me and the machine can't. Also, it's just fun.

O

OleRed

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2018
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine lives in manual-- unless just hauling down the road but that doesn't happen too much

Reactions: Cal
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!