P1000 Shifting from Auto to Manual on its own

SikorskyGramps

SikorskyGramps

Jan 30, 2017
Castlegar, B.C.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi guys, I have a 2017 P1000-5 Deluxe with 6200 km/3900 mi on it. Other than the well-known overheating problem, it has been 6 years trouble free until the last couple of rides. I normally run in auto but noticed after 2-3 hrs of average trail riding, it started shifting from 6th gear in auto into 5th gear in manual, all on its own. At first I could shift it back to auto, but as time went on it became quicker at shifting itself back into manual. Quite often it would then not shift into 6th, either in auto or manual. Has anyone heard of this problem or could give me some advice on where to start troubleshooting? Thanks!

R

RedorDead

Jan 3, 2023
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My first thought is a malfunction/ unintentional activation of the downshift paddle. However if it only happens 6-5 and never in any other combination such as 4-3 that theory isn’t good. But I might try disconnecting the paddles (if that’s possible without throwing codes).

Second thought is a wiring harness short somewhere. Inspect for chafing or damage between shift mode selector, paddles, ECU, and transmission.

Good luck, intermittent electrical problems can be tough to find.

Afterthought: speed sensor. What does it indicate in the dash when you manually try to force a 5-6 shift?

Reactions: Buggyman
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Hi guys, I have a 2017 P1000-5 Deluxe with 6200 km/3900 mi on it. Other than the well-known overheating problem, it has been 6 years trouble free until the last couple of rides. I normally run in auto but noticed after 2-3 hrs of average trail riding, it started shifting from 6th gear in auto into 5th gear in manual, all on its own. At first I could shift it back to auto, but as time went on it became quicker at shifting itself back into manual. Quite often it would then not shift into 6th, either in auto or manual. Has anyone heard of this problem or could give me some advice on where to start troubleshooting? Thanks!
You said you have a 17’ did u have the clutch update done durning the campaign it afterwords? That needs to be known before we all start throwing darts at it.

SikorskyGramps

SikorskyGramps

Jan 30, 2017
Castlegar, B.C.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks guys. Yes, clutch mod was done by the dealership. When it happens I hear the engine rev up, look down and I’m in 5th manual. Normal indications, no flashing. I can paddle shift from 5th down to 1st and back up to 5th in manual, but it usually won’t go into 6th. If it does, then it will shift on its own back into 5th in less than a minute. I tried Sport mode with the same result.
It only does it after a couple hours of riding, so will be tough this time of year with 3 ft of snow. Would running it on blocks be useful? I had read somewhere in the Forums that mouse chewed wires had caused shifting problems. The machine is usually parked outside under the sun deck.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Could it be a grounding issue right at the switch causing the AT to MT changing modes and then the 6 to 5 downshift is caused by a normally operating trans thinking YOU selected MT and the engine downshifted as it should have because of too low of rpm for 6 th gear

SikorskyGramps

SikorskyGramps

Jan 30, 2017
Castlegar, B.C.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That sounds logical. Not sure what happens normally if you shift up in MT when you are going too slow? (never tried it) If it won’t shift up, that would line up with what’s happening.
Thanks ODAMO!

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That sounds logical. Not sure what happens normally if you shift up in MT when you are going too slow? (never tried it) If it won’t shift up, that would line up with what’s happening.
Thanks ODAMO!
Try driving it at a similar speed that this occurs at and before it happens shift from AT to MT and see if it does the same thing

SikorskyGramps

SikorskyGramps

Jan 30, 2017
Castlegar, B.C.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Learned a few new things today - #1. Wear your reading glasses while driving the Pioneer! (There’s a lot happening on that little display!)🤣
I couldn’t get the problem to replicate in a 30 min ride, but did confirm that all lights and indicators are operating as per the manual. When in AT and you paddle up or down, it displays AT plus the new gear, until you back off on the gas. Then the gear display disappears and you’re left with AT only.
It needs 2300 rpm and 30 km/hr before it can be paddle shifted into 6th, in either AT or MT. Same with all the other gears, shifting up is prevented if you are going too slow for that gear.
So this eliminates all my “problems” except why it shifts from AT to MT on its own, after 2-3 hrs. I will chase down the ground wire suggestion and report back. Thanks everyone for your quick responses!

SikorskyGramps

SikorskyGramps

Jan 30, 2017
Castlegar, B.C.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Footnote: Honda dealership suggested replacing the battery (now in its 7th year) They hadn’t heard of the Pioneer shifting problem, but said low battery output had caused shifting problems in some Honda quads. A cold battery load check showed 10.8V, dropping to 10.2 after 5 sec. With engine running it was 11.4V What is the normal output of a Pioneer alternator? I always run with headlights on, maybe after 2-3 hrs battery is way down? Good excuse to upgrade to the dual battery kit!

Mark in Northern Iowa

Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Footnote: Honda dealership suggested replacing the battery (now in its 7th year) They hadn’t heard of the Pioneer shifting problem, but said low battery output had caused shifting problems in some Honda quads. A cold battery load check showed 10.8V, dropping to 10.2 after 5 sec. With engine running it was 11.4V What is the normal output of a Pioneer alternator? I always run with headlights on, maybe after 2-3 hrs battery is way down? Good excuse to upgrade to the dual battery kit!
The standard true dual battery kit would not have helped you in this situation.
It does not charge the secondary battery until the primary battery is at 13.4?+ volts, and shuts off at 12.9? volts.
Have a good day

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Seven years out of a battery in an off-road vehicle is nothing short of miraculous. :eek:

I'm a short shifter and why I like the DCT so much, I'm constantly 'paddling up' to keep the RPM down when cruising. Nothing happens if my speed is too low for the next gear up except the little Honda guy who lives in the circuit board flippin' me off. 😥

SikorskyGramps

SikorskyGramps

Jan 30, 2017
Castlegar, B.C.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Always used a tender and had good luck with my batteries. Two in the motorcycle went 9 years each, both Tundra batteries made 8 years (never failed, but decided not to take a chance)
Anyway, we’ll see if a new battery helps the AT-MT shift problem!

R

RedorDead

Jan 3, 2023
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Seven years out of a battery in an off-road vehicle is nothing short of miraculous. :eek:

I'm a short shifter and why I like the DCT so much, I'm constantly 'paddling up' to keep the RPM down when cruising. Nothing happens if my speed is too low for the next gear up except the little Honda guy who lives in the circuit board flippin' me off. 😥
I wonder if Honda ever releases software updates to address issues like this? My understanding is 2022 models have new programming to short shift and keep revs low under low throttle conditions. My impression is that’s true because mine will chug like a tractor if you drive it that way. But I have not driven earlier P1000 to compare.

Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2

just replaced the battery in my 2014 700 last June.

• Wow
Reactions: Rayger143 and CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!