NTC’ s special Ed student of the year
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I get it!
just when theres an oil type or brand question, the thread usually blows up like Hiroshima 🤣
theres so many opinions on this its like presenting a bill to congress for a debate lol. If u use the search, it will blow your mind🤯🥳
Here is a start, without seeing your bottle of oil u used, as long as it said suitable for wet clutches, your prob ok. Im not gonna tell u what Ive used in my 3 rigs starting in 16’ cuz I dont want to start a dumpster fire 🤣🔥🔥🚒
Shoot me a pm if u really want to know!
I’m disappointed 🙄

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just changed my sub transmission oil and I used Mobil 1 racing 4t advanced full synthetic 10w40 motorcycle oil what’s your thoughts on that but I used Honda oil in the engine
I’ve found that the best oil is the slippery kind…
I tried using the oil outta the fryer at my local McDonalds and seemed like anyone behind me started craving French fries…
Also if you do use the oil from the fryer, make sure you strain it first.
Good luck. 👍

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I’ve found that the best oil is the slippery kind…
I tried using the oil outta the fryer at my local McDonalds and seemed like anyone behind me started craving French fries…
Also if you do use the oil from the fryer, make sure you strain it first.
Good luck. 👍
Oh ok if u insist!
5-40 Rotella T6 in all 3 rigs since 16’ and Im in the single digits.
He dosnt hit the “like” on our posts. Must be too loosy goosy for his kind 🤷‍♂️
NoMo fo so!

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
that HP4M, do you all use 10w30 or 10w40? I ride in all temperature ranges from down in the single digits and teens up to 100 or more degrees.
First off - when Remington says it has to be wet clutch compatible, he's talking about the engine and DCT oil. I'm talking about the subtransmission - it doesn't need its oil to be wet clutch compatible and that's why several of us are running the HP4 with Moly in the subtrans only.

30 or 40 weight - your choice. Since you ride year round and the subtrans only gets changed every once in a while (don't remember), pick the weight you're comfortable with. If most of your miles are in hot temps, run 40w, cold temps, run 30w. When I'm running 40w, I give it longer to warm up in cold weather. Same with engine oil, if it's cold and I'm running 10w-40, I give it longer to warm up.

Also note that nothing is spinning in the subtrans when you're warming up your engine, don't take off like a bat outta hell, give it a mile(?) to warm up especially in colder temps.

Don't put gear oil in the subtrans (80w-90), it wasn't engineered for that and won't like it. Some have and will recommend it, I won't.

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
He dosnt hit the “like” on our posts. Must be too loosy goosy for his kind 🤷‍♂️
NoMo fo so!
I know right…🙄
Give a guy solid advice you’d think they’d hit the like button for helping them out… especially that part about straining the fryer oil first… you won’t find that in any owners manual that’s fer sure.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I know right…🙄
Give a guy solid advice you’d think they’d hit the like button for helping them out… especially that part about straining the fryer oil first… you won’t find that in any owners manual that’s fer sure.
Yup top secrete snippets like that are invaluable right there with mixin Ketchup and Mayo! 🥳

AndyC

AndyC

Mar 2, 2021
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
First off - when Remington says it has to be wet clutch compatible, he's talking about the engine and DCT oil. I'm talking about the subtransmission - it doesn't need its oil to be wet clutch compatible and that's why several of us are running the HP4 with Moly in the subtrans only.

30 or 40 weight - your choice. Since you ride year round and the subtrans only gets changed every once in a while (don't remember), pick the weight you're comfortable with. If most of your miles are in hot temps, run 40w, cold temps, run 30w. When I'm running 40w, I give it longer to warm up in cold weather. Same with engine oil, if it's cold and I'm running 10w-40, I give it longer to warm up.

Also note that nothing is spinning in the subtrans when you're warming up your engine, don't take off like a bat outta hell, give it a mile(?) to warm up especially in colder temps.

Don't put gear oil in the subtrans (80w-90), it wasn't engineered for that and won't like it. Some have and will recommend it, I won't.
I’m gonna get that HP4M for the sub. Whatever is in it now is what the dealer did on that initial 100 mile service. I always use 10w-30 or 10w-40 gn4 in the motor.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I’m gonna get that HP4M for the sub. Whatever is in it now is what the dealer did on that initial 100 mile service. I always use 10w-30 or 10w-40 gn4 in the motor.
Check the fluid level before you drain it, I know of 2 Talons that were delivered 1/3 low. :mad: I doubt the dealer did anything with the subtrans since its mtce interval is a year or two (don't remember).

AndyC

AndyC

Mar 2, 2021
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Check the fluid level before you drain it, I know of 2 Talons that were delivered 1/3 low. :mad: I doubt the dealer did anything with the subtrans since its mtce interval is a year or two (don't remember).
I’ve checked it 2-3 times in the last 1500 miles I’ve put on it since the initial service and it’s always right on the money. I know the book says before every ride, but that seemed excessive to me. Especially since I “ride” mine every day 7 days a week for farm work.

R

RedorDead

Jan 3, 2023
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve checked it 2-3 times in the last 1500 miles I’ve put on it since the initial service and it’s always right on the money. I know the book says before every ride, but that seemed excessive to me. Especially since I “ride” mine every day 7 days a week for farm work.
Yeah, that’s just lawyers writing CYA stuff. I check oil periodically depending on operating conditions. Usually every 2-3 tanks of fuel. Pulling the dipstick every day would just be an invitation to get dirt in the engine.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
lol - engine oil check - periodic

Transfer case - if there ain’t oil on the floor or blowing out seal - hardly ever - unless u believe aliens may me involved

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just changed my sub transmission oil and I used Mobil 1 racing 4t advanced full synthetic 10w40 motorcycle oil what’s your thoughts on that but I used Honda oil in the engine
Mobil 1 4T Racing Synthetic in the motor too.

Last edited:
Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!