Available: Modified Talon Shift Gate to Help with Low Engagement Issues!!!

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Some of you have had issues engaging Low Range or staying in Low and getting the dreaded "BANG!". It happened to me last fall so I designed a Modified Shift Gate to help alleviate the problem and 3D printed a limited number of them. So far, the reports are excellent and the demand was getting too great so I have gone to a solid ABS Plastic CNC version that takes MUCH less time to produce so I can now fill the demand. Both OEM and Quick Shift designs have been converted to CNC and I have included pics of both below.

Although there have been no reports of any issues with the 3D version (there are dozens of them out there), I changed to CNC for more production and it is a little nicer looking. Anyone that purchased a 3D version can get the CNC version by paying the difference and I will cover the shipping (to the lower 48).

For those of you not aware of how these modified gates help, here is a quick explanation. Even with the shift cable properly adjusted, the shift lever hits the back of the stock shifter gate and sometimes does not engage the Low shift dogs all the way, especially when the dogs are not aligned. In some instances, you can have the lever in the Low gate but the Sub-Transmission is either not in Low or not fully in Low. This can cause grinding and even the dreaded "Bang" that many have experienced. Honda has not come up with any solution as of yet so to combat the problem, the modified gate has been designed as follows...
  • Moved P, R, N and H forward 4 mm and moved Low 3mm to the rear to give Low a total of an extra 7 mm of throw.
  • Narrowed the Low gate so that you cannot move the lever over into the Low position unless the Sub-Transmission is full in Low.
  • If you do pull it back into Low and the shift dogs are not fully engaged, there will be some preload on the cable/linkage/fork/dogs and this preload will help the dogs fully engage when you start moving. This seems to have eliminated the "Bang" issue so far.
Final design and tweaks are now complete and production and shipping starts Monday. I have enough material on hand to cut 100 units but I already have quite a few pre-orders and my local dealer wants some so there won't be too many of the initial 100 left. Get your orders in now so I know how many of each design needs to be cut. $50 shipped to the lower 48 and additional shipping charge to Alaska, Hawaii and Canada (it has been around $5 more).

To order, PM me your PayPal account email AND tell me what version you want...

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Some of you have had issues engaging Low Range or staying in Low and getting the dreaded "BANG!". It happened to me last fall so I designed a Modified Shift Gate to help alleviate the problem and 3D printed a limited number of them. So far, the reports are excellent and the demand was getting too great so I have gone to a solid ABS Plastic CNC version that takes MUCH less time to produce so I can now fill the demand. Both OEM and Quick Shift designs have been converted to CNC and I have included pics of both below.

Although there have been no reports of any issues with the 3D version (there are dozens of them out there), I changed to CNC for more production and it is a little nicer looking. Anyone that purchased a 3D version can get the CNC version by paying the difference and I will cover the shipping (to the lower 48).

For those of you not aware of how these modified gates help, here is a quick explanation. Even with the shift cable properly adjusted, the shift lever hits the back of the stock shifter gate and sometimes does not engage the Low shift dogs all the way, especially when the dogs are not aligned. In some instances, you can have the lever in the Low gate but the Sub-Transmission is either not in Low or not fully in Low. This can cause grinding and even the dreaded "Bang" that many have experienced. Honda has not come up with any solution as of yet so to combat the problem, the modified gate has been designed as follows...
  • Moved P, R, N and H forward 4 mm and moved Low 3mm to the rear to give Low a total of an extra 7 mm of throw.
  • Narrowed the Low gate so that you cannot move the lever over into the Low position unless the Sub-Transmission is full in Low.
  • If you do pull it back into Low and the shift dogs are not fully engaged, there will be some preload on the cable/linkage/fork/dogs and this preload will help the dogs fully engage when you start moving. This seems to have eliminated the "Bang" issue so far.
Final design and tweaks are now complete and production and shipping starts Monday. I have enough material on hand to cut 100 units but I already have quite a few pre-orders and my local dealer wants some so there won't be too many of the initial 100 left. Get your orders in now so I know how many of each design needs to be cut. $50 shipped to the lower 48 and additional shipping charge to Alaska, Hawaii and Canada (it has been around $5 more).

View attachment 197529

View attachment 197530

View attachment 197531
Looks good man!!!

Reactions: Squeegee
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Those look awesome and I feel like you have found the fix!!) I will be sending you my info and getting one! Just trying to decide which one!?!

Reactions: CumminsPusher
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I have been using the OEM style for a few thousand miles now and the extra throw into low makes a big difference. The shift cable is pushing when going into low so it can have some rope effect especially on cold start. When its fully into low gear the shift lever goes into the shift gate without any forward preload.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Nice job man looks good!

Reactions: TripleB
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Now do the pioneer 1000.
Funny you should mention that. I was asked to look into it a couple weeks ago. I don't have a P1000 so I went to my dealer and looked at one, the GM wouldn't let me tear it apart (go figure :)).

It looks like there is room for about 5 mm of extra throw on the Pioneer before you start hitting metal so there is some room for improvement.

Looked doable so I ordered a stock shift gate and just received it. NOT so simple after all. The face of the P1000 gate is curved (unlike the Talon) and the 2 gates are connected together as one unit. Too big for me to 3D print so all R&D will have to be done on the CNC.

The curved face complicates matters. Curved surfaces on a CNC (or 3D print for that matter) look like crap, especially in plastic. To even consider making it work, I would have to curve cut the back, lay it on a flat surface and heat it up flat again so the finished surface face is curved. Then machine the front.

Not saying I wouldn't do it but it would take a lot more material and time so they would end up being in the $75 range and I would need to sell at least 50 units to make it worth it and I have not really seen that much need/interest in a modified gate for the P1000 but I don't visit that forum at all. Plus, I don't have access to a P1000 so I would need to hook up with someone that owns one that is willing to let me tear off the dash.

If you can muster up a decent amount of interest and get me 25 commitments (not paid, just 25 members seriously committed), I will see if it is doable.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Funny you should mention that. I was asked to look into it a couple weeks ago. I don't have a P1000 so I went to my dealer and looked at one, the GM wouldn't let me tear it apart (go figure :)).

It looks like there is room for about 5 mm of extra throw on the Pioneer before you start hitting metal so there is some room for improvement.

Looked doable so I ordered a stock shift gate and just received it. NOT so simple after all. The face of the P1000 gate is curved (unlike the Talon) and the 2 gates are connected together as one unit. Too big for me to 3D print so all R&D will have to be done on the CNC.

The curved face complicates matters. Curved surfaces on a CNC (or 3D print for that matter) look like crap, especially in plastic. To even consider making it work, I would have to curve cut the back, lay it on a flat surface and heat it up flat again so the finished surface face is curved. Then machine the front.

Not saying I wouldn't do it but it would take a lot more material and time so they would end up being in the $75 range and I would need to sell at least 50 units to make it worth it and I have not really seen that much need/interest in a modified gate for the P1000 but I don't visit that forum at all. Plus, I don't have access to a P1000 so I would need to hook up with someone that owns one that is willing to let me tear off the dash.

If you can muster up a decent amount of interest and get me 25 commitments (not paid, just 25 members seriously committed), I will see if it is doable.

I don't think you'd have a hard time selling 25.. There are a TON of 1000's out there now and I know that every time I try to shift to Low, especially when cold, I need to slam the shifter hard against the bottom of the gate to avoid the "-" or a grind. Sometimes I have to slam it down a couple times. They say an adjustment could improve it, but It seems to hit every other position just fine.

We will keep talking about it to see what the demand could be.

If anyone else reading this would be interested, speak up.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Historically, products developed by forum members here are great. Several of our fellow (or former) members have used their skills to make great improvements to Honda side by sides. And they don't turn out crap, it's high quality and in most cases hand crafted products. A few great examples:

@trigger shield
box
@clifforeilly WFO handle
@Delton Doors and other stuff
@jak9922 All kinds of stuff

I'm sure I'm forgetting some folks but that's just off the top of my head. Hat's off to all the members here that contribute!

Reactions: Squeegee and rjohn
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I don't think you'd have a hard time selling 25.. There are a TON of 1000's out there now and I know that every time I try to shift to Low, especially when cold, I need to slam the shifter hard against the bottom of the gate to avoid the "-" or a grind. Sometimes I have to slam it down a couple times. They say an adjustment could improve it, but It seems to hit every other position just fine.

We will keep talking about it to see what the demand could be.

If anyone else reading this would be interested, speak up.
I think it might be best to move this part of the conversation over to the P1000 forum and point here for reference. Since you know more about the P1000, why don't you start a thread there and I will watch.

Reactions: ehart814
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
@PaulF just wanted to give you a shout out for the Talon shift gate, it works awesome. I find that I use low much more now without even thinking about it. Thanks!

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
@PaulF just wanted to give you a shout out for the Talon shift gate, it works awesome. I find that I use low much more now without even thinking about it. Thanks!
Thank you!

FIrst run of the CNC units started. Start shipping Monday and should have them all out by Tuesday or Wednesday.

Thanks everyone for your orders!

Reactions: TerryH and Mudwing
BPINE

BPINE

Nov 15, 2019
San Jose, Ca
www.youtube.com
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hi Paul, I finally got to put the Talon to use after a 4 week delay and the shift gate worked perfect. I did some crawling this trip so I was in and out of low more than usual and it worked perfect every time.

Reactions: TripleB
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hi Paul, I finally got to put the Talon to use after a 4 week delay and the shift gate worked perfect. I did some crawling this trip so I was in and out of low more than usual and it worked perfect every time.
Great to hear, THANKS!

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
First run of the CNC version completed and shipped. Almost all sold out, just have a couple of each left if anyone is interested. Shoot me a PM and I will get it out the day you pay.

BIG thanks to all those that purchased, you should be getting them by end of the week.

Those of you that have ordered but not yet paid (I sent you a PayPal invoice), please do so and I will ship them out same day.

Enigma

Enigma

East Tennessee Mudder
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2020
Rocky Top
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

View attachment 197529

View attachment 197530

View attachment 197531
Great idea PaulF. Let me know when the Pioneer 1000's are available. Thanks

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Great idea PaulF. Let me know when the Pioneer 1000's are available. Thanks
The Pioneer is being discussed in this thread, please follow up there.

As of now, there only seems to be limited interest and not enough for me to proceed...

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
If you didn't get in for the first run, they are all gone but you are in luck!!!

Decided to do another run because of the demand. Don't miss out this time and be ready for riding season.

They are done and ready to ship!

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Had a couple buyers crap out on their orders so I have 2 OEM style and 1 Semi-Quick style units available for immediate shipping if anyone is interested.

Not sure when the next run will be. PM me if you are interested and I will try to put together another batch.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Cut another small run of the gates so there are more of both versions available.

Please note: I will be out of town next week so if you want one for Memorial Day weekend, please order in the next couple days!

To order, PM me your PayPal account email AND tell me what version you want.

Reactions: TalonR65

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!