BOX1

Available: Modified Talon Shift Gate to Help with Low Engagement Issues!!!

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
I got mine and used it this last weekend at Tackett Creek and it worked great! You can really tell the extra throw and how much easier it will go into low! Glad I bought it! Thanks PaulF!

Reactions: PaulF
NFA_Fun

NFA_Fun

Aug 22, 2017
Pinetop, Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hey Paul, my OEM style gate is sitting in my mailbox....should be able to pick it up Friday

Quick question for you...the dealer has readjusted my shift cable several times. In your opinion, should everything be ready to go and your gate just drop in?

Anxious to get it installed and try it out. Still having problems with popping and getting in gear.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hey Paul, my OEM style gate is sitting in my mailbox....should be able to pick it up Friday

Quick question for you...the dealer has readjusted my shift cable several times. In your opinion, should everything be ready to go and your gate just drop in?

Anxious to get it installed and try it out. Still having problems with popping and getting in gear.
You MUST readjust the shift cable when installing my shift gate.

Adjustment is very easy. There was a link to detailed instructions included with your invoice. If you need the instructions emailed to you, let me know.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I had my first failure to engage low range chatter on a 40* morning yesterday - new Talon (300 miles at failure). It was a lite clickety, clickety, clickety, clickety, no harsh KLUNK thankfully. Thanks to this site I knew about it and used high to get moving, shifted to low while barely moving (need low to climb over the trailer fenders, no time to warm up).

fwiw: I have 84" between the corner of the garage and retaining wall so the trailer has to be too narrow to drive between the fenders.

Approach from the left - I couldn't make the approach more gentle like the right as I need to pull up to the fender for proper tongue weight.

TalonR65

TalonR65

Mar 29, 2020
Tucson AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Paul. Received your gate a few weeks ago and installed. 300 miles on it. Works great. I did drain sub transmission and fill with light weight shock proof. 😎

Reactions: Sheetmetalfab
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Paul. Received your gate a few weeks ago and installed. 300 miles on it. Works great. I did drain sub transmission and fill with light weight shock proof. 😎
Thank you for the feedback!

And please do let us know how the Shockproof works. I feel that the Lightweight is still too thick for colder climates. 0W-20 or 10W-30 are optimal in the winter here in Utah so the straight 30W like viscosity of the Lightweight may not work here when it gets cold. Let us know if your shifting gets a little "stiff" in cooler weather or colder mornings.

They do make a Superlite version that is compared to ATF viscosity that may work for us cooler weather folks. Need to do a little research.

Reactions: TalonR65
TalonR65

TalonR65

Mar 29, 2020
Tucson AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thank you for the feedback!

And please do let us know how the Shockproof works. I feel that the Lightweight is still too thick for colder climates. 0W-20 or 10W-30 are optimal in the winter here in Utah so the straight 30W like viscosity of the Lightweight may not work here when it gets cold. Let us know if your shifting gets a little "stiff" in cooler weather or colder mornings.

They do make a Superlite version that is compared to ATF viscosity that may work for us cooler weather folks. Need to do a little research.
I used the light weight in my Harley ultra limited 6 speed trans. 61000 miles and worked excellent. Harley calls out 10/40 engine oil. Cooler running, reduced noise and shifted smoother.

T

Thamilt7

Jan 12, 2021
Wyoming
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Funny you should mention that. I was asked to look into it a couple weeks ago. I don't have a P1000 so I went to my dealer and looked at one, the GM wouldn't let me tear it apart (go figure :)).

It looks like there is room for about 5 mm of extra throw on the Pioneer before you start hitting metal so there is some room for improvement.

Looked doable so I ordered a stock shift gate and just received it. NOT so simple after all. The face of the P1000 gate is curved (unlike the Talon) and the 2 gates are connected together as one unit. Too big for me to 3D print so all R&D will have to be done on the CNC.

The curved face complicates matters. Curved surfaces on a CNC (or 3D print for that matter) look like crap, especially in plastic. To even consider making it work, I would have to curve cut the back, lay it on a flat surface and heat it up flat again so the finished surface face is curved. Then machine the front.

Not saying I wouldn't do it but it would take a lot more material and time so they would end up being in the $75 range and I would need to sell at least 50 units to make it worth it and I have not really seen that much need/interest in a modified gate for the P1000 but I don't visit that forum at all. Plus, I don't have access to a P1000 so I would need to hook up with someone that owns one that is willing to let me tear off the dash.

If you can muster up a decent amount of interest and get me 25 commitments (not paid, just 25 members seriously committed), I will see if it is doable.

Hello,
I'm new to the forum!

I just received my Brand New P1000-3 a few days ago. It took me 2 days to install the heater and cab to my specifications. I pulled it out of the shop to give it a test drive yesterday and heard the dreaded BANG because it wasn't all the way into Low. I called the dealer but they have never had a problem with this. I noticed this morning when it was cold that it did the same thing. The gear indicator displays a -- instead of an L and I can fix it by jimmying the shifter a but I am interested in your shifter slot modification. $75 seems like a reasonable price to save my subtransmission. Following this in case you decide to make them someday.

T

Thamilt7

Jan 12, 2021
Wyoming
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Interested in one for the P1000-3, 2021 version!

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hello,
I'm new to the forum!

I just received my Brand New P1000-3 a few days ago. It took me 2 days to install the heater and cab to my specifications. I pulled it out of the shop to give it a test drive yesterday and heard the dreaded BANG because it wasn't all the way into Low. I called the dealer but they have never had a problem with this. I noticed this morning when it was cold that it did the same thing. The gear indicator displays a -- instead of an L and I can fix it by jimmying the shifter a but I am interested in your shifter slot modification. $75 seems like a reasonable price to save my subtransmission. Following this in case you decide to make them someday.
Welcome from the once great state of Colorado. :cool:

Don't use Low when cold unless you have to. If it's necessary, I've found it helps to shift when barely rolling, it helps the shift dogs align (like rocking a motorcycle at a stop to get it to shift). I try to always look for the L on the display before applying throttle, it becomes second nature. It also helps to have your foot off the brake.

The first post linked in my sig talks about shift dogs and their damage.

Reactions: Lil_Steve
M

mikeherber

Oct 13, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I don't think you'd have a hard time selling 25.. There are a TON of 1000's out there now and I know that every time I try to shift to Low, especially when cold, I need to slam the shifter hard against the bottom of the gate to avoid the "-" or a grind. Sometimes I have to slam it down a couple times. They say an adjustment could improve it, but It seems to hit every other position just fine.

We will keep talking about it to see what the demand could be.

If anyone else reading this would be interested, speak up.
Just use a rat tail file and file down the shift gate were the shifter meets the L and you will not have any problems besure your cable i adjusted correctly

H

Hotsauce

Jun 4, 2019
Northern Nevada
Ownership

1. Talon X
Some of you have had issues engaging Low Range or staying in Low and getting the dreaded "BANG!". It happened to me last fall so I designed a Modified Shift Gate to help alleviate the problem and 3D printed a limited number of them. So far, the reports are excellent and the demand was getting too great so I have gone to a solid ABS Plastic CNC version that takes MUCH less time to produce so I can now fill the demand. Both OEM and Quick Shift designs have been converted to CNC and I have included pics of both below.

Although there have been no reports of any issues with the 3D version (there are dozens of them out there), I changed to CNC for more production and it is a little nicer looking. Anyone that purchased a 3D version can get the CNC version by paying the difference and I will cover the shipping (to the lower 48).

For those of you not aware of how these modified gates help, here is a quick explanation. Even with the shift cable properly adjusted, the shift lever hits the back of the stock shifter gate and sometimes does not engage the Low shift dogs all the way, especially when the dogs are not aligned. In some instances, you can have the lever in the Low gate but the Sub-Transmission is either not in Low or not fully in Low. This can cause grinding and even the dreaded "Bang" that many have experienced. Honda has not come up with any solution as of yet so to combat the problem, the modified gate has been designed as follows...
  • Moved P, R, N and H forward 4 mm and moved Low 3mm to the rear to give Low a total of an extra 7 mm of throw.
  • Narrowed the Low gate so that you cannot move the lever over into the Low position unless the Sub-Transmission is full in Low.
  • If you do pull it back into Low and the shift dogs are not fully engaged, there will be some preload on the cable/linkage/fork/dogs and this preload will help the dogs fully engage when you start moving. This seems to have eliminated the "Bang" issue so far.
Final design and tweaks are now complete and production and shipping starts Monday. I have enough material on hand to cut 100 units but I already have quite a few pre-orders and my local dealer wants some so there won't be too many of the initial 100 left. Get your orders in now so I know how many of each design needs to be cut. $50 shipped to the lower 48 and additional shipping charge to Alaska, Hawaii and Canada (it has been around $5 more).

To order, PM me your PayPal account email AND tell me what version you want...

View attachment 197529

View attachment 197530

View attachment 197531
@PaulF are you still selling these? If so I want one for my 2019 Talon 1000x! I am in the process of rebuilding my sub-tranny and would like to include this in the rebuild. Question: I am assuming you tried modifying the stock gate. Why didn't that work?

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
@PaulF are you still selling these? If so I want one for my 2019 Talon 1000x! I am in the process of rebuilding my sub-tranny and would like to include this in the rebuild. Question: I am assuming you tried modifying the stock gate. Why didn't that work?
I am out but getting more cut. Should have some in a week or so.

Roborlilw

Roborlilw

Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Tucson,Az
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
You MUST readjust the shift cable when installing my shift gate.

Adjustment is very easy. There was a link to detailed instructions included with your invoice. If you need the instructions emailed to you, let me know.
Hello Paul,
Do you have to adjust the shift cable for the semi-quick shift gate? Thanks, Rob.

Reactions: Smitty335
Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Hello Paul,
Do you have to adjust the shift cable for the semi-quick shift gate? Thanks, Rob.
His last post was August of 22’.
Might want to try and PM your question. He may get an email and respond back to you.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!