Talon Axle boot clamp tool

D

DAJO

Mar 31, 2019
Indiana, Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Anyone know where I can get then Oetiker 1400134 or equivalent that Honda recommends for the large boot clamps inboard and outboard on the axle boots? I have the pinch type tool (ear type) for the small axle clamps but need the large one that is not a pinch (earless) clamps.. Bought one from NAPA that was supposed to work but way too flimsy and the Honda clamps are extremely tight.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone know where I can get then Oetiker 1400134 or equivalent that Honda recommends for the large boot clamps inboard and outboard on the axle boots? I have the pinch type tool (ear type) for the small axle clamps but need the large one that is not a pinch (earless) clamps.. Bought one from NAPA that was supposed to work but way too flimsy and the Honda clamps are extremely tight.
Thanks guys you have been a big help
I just tried to google "Oetiker 1400134" and came up with nada on image search.
What did you buy from Napa? Link or pn please.

I have used these Knipex pliers with success over the years.

Reactions: DAJO and Ragnar406
D

DAJO

Mar 31, 2019
Indiana, Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
The Knipex are for the ear type clamps, I have those they work on the axle end of the boots but not the large clamps. The large clamps are the earless type that squeeze together and do not crimp like the small clamps. They are really tight and hard to squeeze to the lock position. Finally gave up and put a regular hose clamp on it for now.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, Figured out why I came up empty handed looking for your pliers. They are an Oetiker 14100134.

Is this closer to the style you need?
I have a pair of those and they will not work on the larger bands at least for me as I could not get the jaw to open wide enough

I used https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I3H6UIC/?tag=sxsweb24-20 which is just the front and side jaw version of the ones you posted and they work - on the Pioneer axle bands - it just takes some pressure

Reactions: DAJO
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a pair of those and they will not work on the larger bands at least for me as I could not get the jaw to open wide enough

I used https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I3H6UIC/?tag=sxsweb24-20 which is just the front and side jaw version of the ones you posted and they work - on the Pioneer axle bands - it just takes some pressure
The bands he is using are slightly different. I think they are called a low-profile band. It uses a set-up very similar to a cable tie.
I have the exact pair you linked, haven't had any issues with it. But the other band is slightly different.

D

DAJO

Mar 31, 2019
Indiana, Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Well, Figured out why I came up empty handed looking for your pliers. They are an Oetiker 14100134.

Is this closer to the style you need?
No these clic type clamps are not the same.
The clamps that are on the large end of the boots is

I have the Knipex and tried to use them, could not get enough pressure and moved the band off to the side and out of alignment. Damaged two clamps trying.

Last edited:
D

DAJO

Mar 31, 2019
Indiana, Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
The bands he is using are slightly different. I think they are called a low-profile band. It uses a set-up very similar to a cable tie.
I have the exact pair you linked, haven't had any issues with it. But the other band is slightly different.

It is a lot more than slightly different one is crimped the other locks into tabs. These 192 style clamps even have waves in them that is temp related on how tight they are.

D

DAJO

Mar 31, 2019
Indiana, Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have spent hours on this and have learned a lot about clamps. Have found that the tool is HIP200 500. The tool would be to large to use without completely removing the axle from the machine.
Are the bands you are trying to close in the pic in that link

3501718E D80C 4E60 8F9A 00891860D6ED
shown above? If so I have used the tool I liked above to close before - i Did have the Axle off the machine and it was a pain..I believe I even put another pair of channel locks on the handles to help close

D

DAJO

Mar 31, 2019
Indiana, Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Are the bands you are trying to close in the pic in that link

View attachment 183061
shown above? If so I have used the tool I liked above to close before - i Did have the Axle off the machine and it was a pain..I believe I even put another pair of channel locks on the handles to help close
I believe it they are crazy tight, impossible to do on the machine. I guess I will just give up and use the ear type clamps just like they did in a Pioneer thread. P700 - Oetiker clamp tool

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
These work pretty good. Alot easier to use than factory.

D

DAJO

Mar 31, 2019
Indiana, Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
These work pretty good. Alot easier to use than factory.

Yep that is the ones I ordered.

Reactions: GlockMeister

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!