P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Digging up this thread and adding some stuff:

First off, thanks @joeymt33 for the vids. They helped me deal with my front axle.

The first thing I want to note is that if your outer CV is shot, you have to buy a whole axle. It's stated in the service manual, and when I looked it up for parts, Honda doesn't sell the CV parts for the outers (front or rear.)

Oddly enough, you can't even buy just an outer boot. You can buy an inner boot kit - so the question is, are they different? I dunno...

In my case, I had an outer boot go bad and I didn't know about it until I got buried in a sandy mud hole. When I got out of it, the front right outer CV was making some nasty grinding sounds. I got the grinding sound cleared out by rolling back and forth for a bit, and tried not to turn sharp for the ride home, and had to run 20 miles back. It stayed quiet for the ride.

I went ahead and bought a whole new axle assembly (which includes everything but the inner CV joint) thinking that I would get back to riding faster, and that I'd have a spare ready to go after I rebuilt the outer CV (if needed) or just replace the boot.

Now I realize that if that outer CV joint is shot, I can't buy the parts to fix it.

Reactions: wrhii
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here is what you get when you buy a new front axle "set" from Honda parts diagrams:

Front axle set

It comes with the axle with the outer CV fully assembled, boot on, clamps, etc. Then you get a kit for a new boot, clamps, and snap rings for the inner CV and a pack of grease.

Reactions: wrhii
J

JTW

Here is what you get when you buy a new front axle "set" from Honda parts diagrams:

View attachment 232687

It comes with the axle with the outer CV fully assembled, boot on, clamps, etc. Then you get a kit for a new boot, clamps, and snap rings for the inner CV and a pack of grease.
Yeah, you can’t buy a complete OEM axle. They sell the inner and outer separately.. but you can buy both and make one. However, just buy a SuperATV rhino 2.0. It’s a complete axle and it’s cheaper than buying oem.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Rhino 2.0 All the way I have yet to break one!
I have broken a Rhino front shaft but so far the 2.0 are taking it.

Reactions: JTW
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One week after I put this new axle on, I had an upper ball joint shear off and the upper a-arm fell down and ripped up the outer boot. I believe the axle escaped any damage outside the boot - but the question is: can I not buy a new outer boot? The parts diagrams only show the clamps available for sale, but no listing for the boot...something has to be wrong here...

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nevermind - I found you can buy the outer CV boot in the aftermarket. Made by Race Driven on Amazon.

Reactions: CID and TripleB
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah, you can’t buy a complete OEM axle. They sell the inner and outer separately.. but you can buy both and make one. However, just buy a SuperATV rhino 2.0. It’s a complete axle and it’s cheaper than buying oem.

Just to cariify for others, you can't buy the outer joint alone. If your outer CV fails, you have to buy a new axle. It comes with an outer CV all put together, but you re-use your inner (unless you want to buy a new inner as well.

I agree, looks like aftermarket is the way to go. You could trail swap one of these pretty fast if you don't have to mess with boots, grease, and boot bands.

Cajun-Abear

Cajun-Abear

Supporting Member
Dec 20, 2021
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Any idea why the two rear (L&R) inboard joints are two different numbers? Every parts list I look at shows 42220 R and 42320 R EXCEPT Babbit's. They actually list the part as a 42220 inboard and say a quantity of 2 is needed with no designation of Left or Right?? Please help!! I ordered the shafts (parts diagram on my phone with bad eyesight) thinking they were complete, now I have to order the inboard knuckles. I would just start over with some complete Rino's but the 20% restocking fee on the OEM parts is going to kill me, I'm pot-committed as they say.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The front axles are the same (swappable) for left or right, but the rear axles are specific to a side.

Reactions: Lady01
Cajun-Abear

Cajun-Abear

Supporting Member
Dec 20, 2021
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The front axles are the same (swappable) for left or right, but the rear axles are specific to a side.
Thanks, I know the rear axles are different, I have both of them new with the different part numbers. My question was specific to the inboard knuckles/joints. Most Honda parts diagrams have two different part numbers for the inboard joints except Babbit's, where they list the joints as the same.

Reactions: Lady01

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!