TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
So last night coming down a long hill, my buddies front axle started popping. Did it about 10 times. We stop and checked, and found a little grease around the boot. After that we couldn't get it to replicate the noise in the final 5 miles home. My question is, should he disassemble and see whats going on or just keep riding and carry a extra axle? It only has a 1000 miles and we wasn't in anything yesterday that I could imagine that would break an axle.

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So last night coming down a long hill, my buddies front axle started popping. Did it about 10 times. We stop and checked, and found a little grease around the boot. After that we couldn't get it to replicate the noise in the final 5 miles home. My question is, should he disassemble and see whats going on or just keep riding and carry a extra axle? It only has a 1000 miles and we wasn't in anything yesterday that I could imagine that would break an axle.
Sounds like a good excuse to buy upgraded axels or at least a spare then rebuild the damaged one. I've had awesome luck out of the rhino 1.0 axels. I upgraded when I did my control arms and found a torn boot. I keep the stock ones for spares now.

Reactions: TripleB
hurld

hurld

Lifetime Member
Feb 19, 2014
My driverside rear axle has been making a small popping only when it's cold for the last 500 miles. No leaks around the boot & it doesn't seem to be getting any worse so I'm just gonna run it as is & keep an eye on it.
Check for holes in the boot, if it's leaking where the boot meets the shaft clean it good with carb cleaner & put a small bead of black permatex around it. If it's about to crap out you will know as it will be loud & sound really bad.
Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!