P1000 Axon wiring help?

sek-hunter

sek-hunter

Oct 28, 2013
I know the title sounds crazy. Most simple winch to install ever, right?

I have my positive contact on the winch ran to the positive on my second battery and the negative contact on the winch ran to the negative on the second battery. This gives me power at the terminals on the winch. Checked with meter.

I plugged the harness into the winch. One end plugs into the winch. The other end plugs into a rocker switch and has a plug in for the winch remote. There is also a red wire that needs key on power to control the built in contactor. I used a jumper wire and ran that to the positive side of my second battery. Hit the switch. Nothing. Tried the remote. Nothing.

Battery is showing 12.74 Volts.
There are four wires running to the socket for the rocker switch. All four are showing power on them?

Bad harness?

I know this is the simplest set up ever. I have driven myself crazy trying to figure it out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CMB

CMB

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
I know the title sounds crazy. Most simple winch to install ever, right?

I have my positive contact on the winch ran to the positive on my second battery and the negative contact on the winch ran to the negative on the second battery. This gives me power at the terminals on the winch. Checked with meter.

I plugged the harness into the winch. One end plugs into the winch. The other end plugs into a rocker switch and has a plug in for the winch remote. There is also a red wire that needs key on power to control the built in contactor. I used a jumper wire and ran that to the positive side of my second battery. Hit the switch. Nothing. Tried the remote. Nothing.

Battery is showing 12.74 Volts.
There are four wires running to the socket for the rocker switch. All four are showing power on them?

Bad harness?

I know this is the simplest set up ever. I have driven myself crazy trying to figure it out?

Blue light on switch ? Make sure 4 wire plug is in correctly. I had same issue.

sek-hunter

sek-hunter

Oct 28, 2013
6473baacf20b2fcbf82ef46c76903dd4

sek-hunter

sek-hunter

Oct 28, 2013
Blue light on switch ? Make sure 4 wire plug is in correctly. I had same issue.

No light whatsoever.... seems that it’ll only go in one way. ??? Are you referring to where it connects to the winch? Mine will only connect one way. I can’t connect it backwards there.

Thanks for your reply and experience. Stumped...

Reactions: Ichybod
CMB

CMB

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Plug close to winch. Warn is really picky about having correct power supply. Maybe plug in charger to battery. Key on power good ?

CMB

CMB

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
CMB

CMB

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
I circled it in pic.

sek-hunter

sek-hunter

Oct 28, 2013
I thought I’d let the buggy
Run a little while or charge the battery??? I saw that in a rzr video. Winch wouldn’t work because battery was low. I’d figure 12.74 volts should suffice? Idk

CMB

CMB

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Mine wouldn't work with low voltage. When you get the blue light on the rocker switch it should work.

sek-hunter

sek-hunter

Oct 28, 2013
Ok, I’ll fire it up and let it run a min and see if that helps. Thanks!

Reactions: CMB and Plumber32
CMB

CMB

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Ok, I’ll fire it up and let it run a min and see if that helps. Thanks!

Your welcome. Glad I could help. Or at least try too. 🤣

Reactions: Mudwing
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Its got to be the key on wire connection. I have 2 of the axion and screwed up both times. Also double check the ground. Also you want keyed power to it. It drains a battery quickly on constant power.

Reactions: Mudwing and CMB
sek-hunter

sek-hunter

Oct 28, 2013
Its got to be the key on wire connection. I have 2 of the axion and screwed up both times. Also double check the ground. Also you want keyed power to it. It drains a battery quickly on constant power.

I was planning on turning the power on and off to the winch via switch in the dash vs key.

Reactions: Plumber32
sek-hunter

sek-hunter

Oct 28, 2013
I was planning on turning the power on and off to the winch via switch in the dash vs key.

I didn’t want to have to have the key in to use the winch. Looks like it will have to be running anyway...

sek-hunter

sek-hunter

Oct 28, 2013
Well, that didn’t work either. I let the Pioneer run for a moment. Battery shows 14.9 volts. Still no power to switch or remote?

I know it calls for key on power. I am simply using a jumper wire to the red power feed. Shouldn’t make a difference for testing purposes, right?

I’m thinking the harness is possibly bad.

JoeyL

JoeyL

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2020
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, that didn’t work either. I let the Pioneer run for a moment. Battery shows 14.9 volts. Still no power to switch or remote?

I know it calls for key on power. I am simply using a jumper wire to the red power feed. Shouldn’t make a difference for testing purposes, right?

I’m thinking the harness is possibly bad.

So you are going direct from the battery to the red "key on power" in the harness?
no problem with this, in fact it is a better way to test - eliminates other variables. this leaves only 2 possibilities if it doesn't come on. your connection from the jumper wire to the red wire or to the battery is bad (not actually getting 12V to the red wire), or its a bad wiring harness (assuming you have already checked the plug near the winch as @CMB mentioned).

you could pull the plug near the winch and check to see if any of the pins has 12V. i dont know which one it would be but one of them needs to have 12V on it. this at least checks the harness up to the plug.

JoeyL

JoeyL

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2020
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Another quick thought.
Im not sure how you have the winch grounded, but double check that the ground terminal on the winch is for sure common to the battery ground. if you have a meter that can reach directly between the two it would be ideal, you may need a second set of hands/eyes to get it done depending on how everything is mounted.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Connect the red wire to the KEY ON wire at the 12v socket. I connected mine there and it works. I think that must be what your problem is. The winch does not like low voltage and I would not use it when the engine is off. I have mine on a second battery and the dumb thing only half works sometimes because the isolator disconnects it when the voltage drops, and then the winch stops because it doesn't like the low voltage. I think I may need a stronger aux battery.

Hind sight, I'd have bought the harbor freight winch, plus an extra as a spare and still had money in my pocket.

sek-hunter

sek-hunter

Oct 28, 2013
Yeah, I have a red jumper wire running from the hot side of my battery to the red wire on the harness. It reads over 14 volts on the meter. I checked on both sides of the inline fuse. Should be no different than key on power should it? Other than I am not using a key to turn on the power. I know I won’t be running the wiring like this full time. Just for testing purposes.

CMB

CMB

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Check your ground. How is the winch grounded ?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!