ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
FYI I had to send mine back for repairs (on my dime) before I had ever used it to pull. It had only been used to run my snow plow. Sent it to a service center and they replaced all the electronics inside the winch under warranty.

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
Do to Diod function.
The main main WINCH power connected to the battery &( switch cannot be powered from same location ) switch should be to a key on 12volt supply motor running helps prevent low voltage problems.
If winching often 2nd deep Cycle battery works best., add shut off switch & isolator high enough Amp rated to handle the load..

sek-hunter

sek-hunter

Oct 28, 2013
Check your ground. How is the winch grounded ?

Winch is grounded directly to second battery. I’ll get me a key on power source and try that next. I didn’t imagine it would matter where the 12v came from but I guess it does?

I’m currently laid up with this COVID sh*t. When I first tested positive I wasn’t too bummed out. I thought, “I’ll work from home, then use the extra time home to get some stuff done to the Pioneer.”

Yeah, right. I have barely been able to drag myself out of bed for the last four days. Let alone go up to the garage to piddle any.

I too think the media blows things wayyyyy outta proportion as a general rule. I was wrong in thinking they were taking COVID a little too far. This sh*t is for real. Kickin my butt.

Looking forward to getting back in the garage...

Thanks for all the suggestions on the winch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mudwing and CMB
Worse1

Worse1

Jul 14, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Winch is grounded directly to second battery. I’ll get me a key on power source and try that next. I didn’t imagine it would matter where the 12v came from but I guess it does?

I’m currently laid up with this COVID sh*t. When I first tested positive I wasn’t too bummed out. I thought, “I’ll work from home, then use the extra time home to get some stuff done to the Pioneer.”

Yeah, right. I have barely been able to drag myself out of bed for the last four days. Let alone go up to the garage to piddle any.

I too think the media blows things wayyyyy outta proportion as a general rule. I was wrong in thinking they were taking COVID a little too far. This sh*t is for real. Kickin my butt.

Hope you get well soon. I had covid too, it sucked!! Especially that covid cough. Stay well, we’ll be here when youre ready.

Reactions: Mudwing
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

Hope you get better quick. I know several people that have had it and it varies from hardly any symptoms to really bad flu. My great aunt and uncle are in the hospital right now. They are in their 80's.

I don't care if it's a cold, or flu, or covid. You have to take care of yourself and rest and eat good. If you push yourself, you're only making it last longer. Stay in bed and read a book or binge on netflix or something

Reactions: Mudwing and TripleB
JoeyL

JoeyL

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2020
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-5

For what you are doing right now (testing, and just trying to get the winch to spin) it absolutely does NOT matter where you get the 12V from, as long as it is a constant source. I think what @pappyo is trying to say is that if you are pulling a lot of amps with the winch you could drop the voltage enough to cause the controls to stop working. But since you haven't even got the light on the switch to come on yet, its not really relevant.
I have mine wired where the winch controls can be powered from either the main or aux battery. I haven't had any trouble with it either way, but I haven't gotten in to any extended winching sessions.

If you verified a good ground to the winch and found 12V on one of the pins at the switch harness plug (on the side closest to the switch) it sounds like an internal problem with the winch controls.

sek-hunter

sek-hunter

Oct 28, 2013
Well, I have tried with the winch connected to my auxiliary battery as well as connected to the factory starting battery. Have supplied 12v to the red wire on the harness via key on power from accessory in the fuse box and directly from the positive side of both batteries. Cannot do anything to get the light in the dash switch nor the remote to come on.

I have voltage on three of the four pins on the plug coming out of the winch. I have voltage on the red wire at the switch with the key on.

Not sure what else to try.

Called Warn today. They are sending me shipping label and box to send the winch to a service department in PA. For > $600, I thought they should send a new winch along with the box and shipping label to return the old one.

Not very good customer service if you ask me on a brand new top of the line winch that has never been used.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Well, I have tried with the winch connected to my auxiliary battery as well as connected to the factory starting battery. Have supplied 12v to the red wire on the harness via key on power from accessory in the fuse box and directly from the positive side of both batteries. Cannot do anything to get the light in the dash switch nor the remote to come on.

I have voltage on three of the four pins on the plug coming out of the winch. I have voltage on the red wire at the switch with the key on.

Not sure what else to try.

Called Warn today. They are sending me shipping label and box to send the winch to a service department in PA. For > $600, I thought they should send a new winch along with the box and shipping label to return the old one.

Not very good customer service if you ask me on a brand new top of the line winch that has never been used.

The first time I tapped my key on accessory wire, I tapped the wrong black and white wire and didn't have key on power. Probably not your problem but I thought I would throw that out there.

sek-hunter

sek-hunter

Oct 28, 2013
The first time I tapped my key on accessory wire, I tapped the wrong black and white wire and didn't have key on power. Probably not your problem but I thought I would throw that out there.

Yeah, I checked it with a meter. Had good voltage. Thanks.

Reactions: TripleB

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!