Backseat

S

Stalkman50

Aug 3, 2021
Missouri
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I am really leaning toward buying the pioneer 1000-5 because IMO it is the best utv on the market on everything except 1 department… the back seat room. I understand it is not as spacious as the competitors but before I buy one I want to make sure it is good enough. I mostly play on riding around a few of my friends and ride on trails or dirt roads. There would be at most 4 adults at a time usually 2 females and 2 males. My kids would also ride in it but they would not be a problem. Question is

Will the back seat be enough for my friends to not feel uncomfortable while riding in it? The last thing I want is to spend 20k on a machine and im the only one that gets to enjoy it. Please share your honest thoughts below.

Also is there any mods to make the back seat bigger?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I am really leaning toward buying the pioneer 1000-5 because IMO it is the best utv on the market on everything except 1 department… the back seat room. I understand it is not as spacious as the competitors but before I buy one I want to make sure it is good enough. I mostly play on riding around a few of my friends and ride on trails or dirt roads. There would be at most 4 adults at a time usually 2 females and 2 males. My kids would also ride in it but they would not be a problem. Question is

Will the back seat be enough for my friends to not feel uncomfortable while riding in it? The last thing I want is to spend 20k on a machine and im the only one that gets to enjoy it. Please share your honest thoughts below.

WELCOME! Long rides, adults no, short rides probably no, children no issue. No mods available for seat expansion that I know of. Happy trails!

Last edited:
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They're not designed for optimal comfort, more for "if you have a few more people along, you can fit them in." That said, I've ridden on the back of mine for hours without any problems, but my older bro in law was getting uncomfortable.

I have done the Rad Customs seat extenders. I'll try to get my review of them posted.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
They're not designed for optimal comfort, more for "if you have a few more people along, you can fit them in." That said, I've ridden on the back of mine for hours without any problems, but my older bro in law was getting uncomfortable.

I have done the Rad Customs seat extenders. I'll try to get my review of them posted.
Seat or bed extenders?

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I added some car seat cushions. Also I made a under roof spoiler to keep the dust our of the back seat area. I didn't have a windshield.

20170909 153725 resized Gen2 side Universal system gen2 usa 20170909 153447 resized 20170909 154243 resized 20170911 141200 resized 20170909 154328 resized

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As others have said. It's nice to have the seats when needed but they are not the best for long rides. It's like riding in the back of an s10.

If you want nice seats and not a limo with the ability to use it as a utility machine then I would recommend looking at the Wolverine r max 1000-4

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

@JenElio installed some Razr seats in his back seats. Maybe he can drop some pics.
Don't know of any mods to make seats "bigger".....more comfortable, yes. I added RZR seats bottoms and backs. Now I should say, I have yet to make it to where I can remove/re-install fairly quick. As of right now they stay bolted on permanently (would take about 15 minutes to unmount)
20210521 222600

Mainly for my kids (6&7) but both me and the wife have been back there also my 6'2" brother in law. These sit a little lower then the rad customs deal cause I removed the bottom (stock seat, as well as the bottom half of the back seat). Your legs are at a much more comfortable position compared to stock seat. This has been by far been the best comfort mod I have done costing next to nothing. 4 point harnesses are also a big plus, the stock seat belts are really not a good fit for smaller kids.
20210521 204336

I tried to keep it simple and used some scrap materials in the garage. Like I said, one day I'll make some kinda quick release latch for them. Right now I can still dump bed to access under side just the seats are there (not a big deal for me as I don't use the bed that much)
20210521 213904

Sorry for the long post 😂 hope this helps any. Let me know if you have ??? 👍

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Don't know of any mods to make seats "bigger".....more comfortable, yes. I added RZR seats bottoms and backs. Now I should say, I have yet to make it to where I can remove/re-install fairly quick. As of right now they stay bolted on permanently (would take about 15 minutes to unmount)
View attachment 287136
Mainly for my kids (6&7) but both me and the wife have been back there also my 6'2" brother in law. These sit a little lower then the rad customs deal cause I removed the bottom (stock seat, as well as the bottom half of the back seat). Your legs are at a much more comfortable position compared to stock seat. This has been by far been the best comfort mod I have done costing next to nothing. 4 point harnesses are also a big plus, the stock seat belts are really not a good fit for smaller kids.
View attachment 287137
I tried to keep it simple and used some scrap materials in the garage. Like I said, one day I'll make some kinda quick release latch for them. Right now I can still dump bed to access under side just the seats are there (not a big deal for me as I don't use the bed that much)
View attachment 287138
Sorry for the long post 😂 hope this helps any. Let me know if you have ??? 👍
That is nice!

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@JenElio , are those backs bolted up to your stock seat frame somehow? Looks nice. I rarely have back seat passengers, so the quick in/out bottom is ideal for me. We're always carrying around a chainsaw, cooler, etc in the bed.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
@JenElio , are those backs bolted up to your stock seat frame somehow? Looks nice. I rarely have back seat passengers, so the quick in/out bottom is ideal for me. We're always carrying around a chainsaw, cooler, etc in the bed.
No they have a frame that holds back and bottom together. I bolted that frame to a plate and bolted that plate to the bed frame
20210521 220418
20210521 213904
20210521 223007

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
There’s some damn good ideas out there, and even I messed around years back with gel under seat covers on a previous machine but haven’t considered anything since.
Personally I’m not sure what all the fuss is about. No one in our group complains about riding in back. Hell I’m in back a lot myself in my own rig, 6’1” so not exactly short. Just chill and enjoy my beer back there.
It’s an extremely short wheel base vehicle that’s capable of going where most others just can’t with 4 and definitely not possible with 5, then head back out for 1/4 cord of wood. Not too bad.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

The time of year you’re riding is a big factor in this. Particularly in hot/humid climates like you ride in, summer is brutal for back seat riders. The bar right there for back seat riders gets so hot they can’t hold it. When I had to have riders back there in the summertime, I covered the floorboards and seat bottoms with two of those wool moving blankets to help mitigate the heat. But folks were never completely comfortable. Get the Talon X4, it’s fabulous and my backseat riders love it…..

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

I use a $45 rack pad made by KOLPIN, it is usually stocked at Home Depot stores in addition to being available online. 1 pad will add about 2" of padding to seat bottom, 2 pads add almost 4" which significantly increases adult legroom. The pad is shaped where it fits perfectly and has several velcro retention straps to secure it in place.

21TM18CG9L AC SY1000

We use these for grandkids and adults alike and improved back seat passenger comfort.

Highly recommend only using a flip up windshield to keep heat at bay in warm weather. With a fixed windshield back seat people can get roasted in slow hot environments.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use a $45 rack pad made by KOLPIN, it is usually stocked at Home Depot stores in addition to being available online. 1 pad will add about 2" of padding to seat bottom, 2 pads add almost 4" which significantly increases adult legroom. The pad is shaped where it fits perfectly and has several velcro retention straps to secure it in place.

View attachment 287532

We use these for grandkids and adults alike and improved back seat passenger comfort.

Highly recommend only using a flip up windshield to keep heat at bay in warm weather. With a fixed windshield back seat people can get roasted in slow hot environments.
Do you have any pics installed? I like this idea

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The time of year you’re riding is a big factor in this. Particularly in hot/humid climates like you ride in, summer is brutal for back seat riders. The bar right there for back seat riders gets so hot they can’t hold it. When I had to have riders back there in the summertime, I covered the floorboards and seat bottoms with two of those wool moving blankets to help mitigate the heat. But folks were never completely comfortable. Get the Talon X4, it’s fabulous and my backseat riders love it…..
I agree about the talon x4. If I was always hauling adults I would definitely have the x4.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!