BOX1

P500 Badland 5000 winch install

R

Rossi21

May 17, 2018
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 500
I’m trying to install a Badlands 5000 winch but the cables that came with it are not long enough to reach from the solenoid to the battery.
Has anyone else had his problem?

I ran the wires underneath, between floorboard and skid plating, alongside the factory wires. It was a tough to run them through and even worse to find out they are too short.
What’s the best work around?

Reactions: Toml500
J

jmcampbell54

Feb 3, 2018
Texas
I’m trying to install a Badlands 5000 winch but the cables that came with it are not long enough to reach from the solenoid to the battery.
Has anyone else had his problem?

I ran the wires underneath, between floorboard and skid plating, alongside the factory wires. It was a tough to run them through and even worse to find out they are too short.
What’s the best work around?

Longer lines needed. It’s what I had to do for my 2500 badlands winch. Watch out on respooling the cable, I had mine jump the drum and wedge in between the drum and housing. Now it’s a paper weight. I just got my Tera 4500 superwinch in so I’ll be redoing all of my wiring.

FYI go with a lower wire gauge to cut down on heat in the lines. The cheap ones provided heat up very fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Welcome to the forum @Rossi21 .
Taking off skid plates on the right track. Consider at least 6 gage wire and a Bussman switched waterproof beaker just outside battery box in case of downstream wire rub, and insulated terminals under the hood. Have used those terminals for power over time,( lights, horn, power steering, compressor, radio, etc). Also used cable wrap, very cheap for 10 ft. Switched breaker is nice to kill power when needed. Consider any limits of the weakest link with that bigger winch, such as the mounting hardware, or if a wheel/suspension part is against a hard stop, rock or stump..stuff can bend. Several of us have added a wireless remote, very handy for $15.

EE669E6A 68AB 4983 BBD6 AD52C20756FC 8B4B6B40 883C 4ED3 B595 FCE18E68C604

Last edited:
KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
My cables were too short on my cheap winch so i used a set of 6 gage jumper cables and cut the ends off. When i installed my SW Terra 4500 i ran independent 6 gage from the batter to a Blue Sea covered bus bar. Put the circuit breaker on the supply side of the bus bar. I also added a wireless remote, came in handy as i had to pull my truck out with it and i could activate it while in the trucks driver seat backing up.

natewheeldrive

natewheeldrive

May 21, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
Ownership

1. 500
I can't say this is the right way to do it, but I had the same problem with the 3500lb model. I took the short wire that is connected to the braker and used it as ground between the solenoid block and the frame. Then I used the longer positive and negative cables to run from the under hood area to the battery with the braker connecting the two under the seat. I did this as a more temporary thing and will probably will will purchase the correct lengths of wire later on this summer. I don't use a winch very much at all, so I thought this would work. Everything seems to work as it should.

H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
How are your badlands winches holding up and performing? I’ve debating one of them 3500 or 5000. But I’m not sure what route I want to go. SW terra 35 seems to be what most prefer on here. Maybe I’m weird but I really hate the yellow that superwinch uses. I like the superwinch LT4000 in Black seems to be priced decent. I don’t want to break the bank on a winch. I just want some affordable and solid that simple works An gets the job done. It’s more for Insurance than anything I don’t use one that often. I want a 3000-4500 lb synthetic for the best price. The market is crowded and makes my vision blurry and head spin when shopping!

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
HF 3500 working fine after 1 year. Only stuck once (at Takeover) and has pulled many trees off trails. Also carry snatch block, if ever needed.

Reactions: HP5NC
KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
How are your badlands winches holding up and performing? I’ve debating one of them 3500 or 5000. But I’m not sure what route I want to go. SW terra 35 seems to be what most prefer on here. Maybe I’m weird but I really hate the yellow that superwinch uses. I like the superwinch LT4000 in Black seems to be priced decent. I don’t want to break the bank on a winch. I just want some affordable and solid that simple works An gets the job done. It’s more for Insurance than anything I don’t use one that often. I want a 3000-4500 lb synthetic for the best price. The market is crowded and makes my vision blurry and head spin when shopping!
i put synthetic on my badland and it was doing great just was slow and loud. My dad is still running his. I got a great deal on a Terra 4500 and swapped them out. Going to find another use for the Badlands, may mount it on the back so i can pull it out from either direction.

Reactions: HP5NC
H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
For those who have mounted the badlands 3500 does or would the mounting plate that comes with the package work on the P5? I want to mount in the middle position or top depending how you look at it. (Low OEM mount, middle- top of stock bumper, high-top of strong made bumper) I want the middle mount or top of stock bumper. Would the plate that comes with the 3500 badlands work? I was or am set of the KFI mount but got to wondering will or why wouldn’t the mount that’s included work???

Reactions: Pwright29
KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
I originally installed a badlands winch but the generic plate that comes with it will not work. I ordered a KFI as i like the higher mounting location of OEM. Where i ride there are multiple creek crossing and i wanted to keep it dry. I have since replaced the Badlands with a Superwinch Terra4500. Badlands worked but was very loud and slow.

H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
I originally installed a badlands winch but the generic plate that comes with it will not work. I ordered a KFI as i like the higher mounting location of OEM. Where i ride there are multiple creek crossing and i wanted to keep it dry. I have since replaced the Badlands with a Superwinch Terra4500. Badlands worked but was very loud and slow.

Thanks. I wasn’t sure if that plate with the badlands would work. I’ll stick with the KFI. I’m not even sure I’m going to get the badlands yet. May go with the superatv black ops 3500. Trying to watch the cost cause I want the Honda OEM tip out hard coat windshield but it is 400-500

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
957FF1CC 4212 4389 9CF0 D8A547DDB1B2
Wanted it on top of strongmade bumper to keep above water holes if stuck, just drilled holes to make room for a tow hook. HF Badlands 3500 and plate, plug in in grill, toggle switch on ROPS, wireless remote added. Having it high helps lifts trees for dragging backwards, and for my old atv plow use, IMO. Hope it helps.

Last edited:
KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks. I wasn’t sure if that plate with the badlands would work. I’ll stick with the KFI. I’m not even sure I’m going to get the badlands yet. May go with the superatv black ops 3500. Trying to watch the cost cause I want the Honda OEM tip out hard coat windshield but it is 400-500
understand completely, that is why i had a badlands on mine to start with

Reactions: Leep and HP5NC
H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
understand completely, that is why i had a badlands on mine to start with

So I found a KFI 4500lb wide spool wire cable brand new in box for 200.00 on Facebook market.

I referenced the KFI mount on their site. This 4500 lb KFI winch I found for 200.00 on Facebook market will work on the P5 with the KFI mount. It is a steel cable. I need to switch to synthetic and get a hawse and wireless remote as well. All in I’d be look at 275-300 dollars if I went this route and bought this 4500 lb KFI winch.

My other option is to get a badlands 3500 with harbor freight wireless remote synthetic rope an hawse an KFI mount. Total for this setup the way I want I’d be looking at roughly 200-215 bucks.

I’ll also be using the Honda accessory subharness.

I am planning to get the Honda OEM hard coat tip out windshield as well which is 432.00 best I can find. So I’m trying to watch the dollars here. I have 800 for the winch and windshield. Decisions decisions.

This KFI 4500 I have found is new I’m box never mounted. But I’d have no warrantyi don’t tbink of I bought it. I guess it depends if I want warranty or not? Plus I can run over to harbor freight any day an pick the badlands 3500 up...I know it’s a good buy in the KFI. Oh it’s also the wide spool model. Hmm I don’t know fellas ?????

MSPioneer1000

MSPioneer1000

May 31, 2019
Richland, Mississippi
Ownership

1. 1000-3
View attachment 86957 Wanted it on top of strongmade bumper to keep above water holes if stuck, just drilled holes to make room for a tow hook. HF Badlands 3500 and plate, plug in in grill, toggle switch on ROPS, wireless remote added. Having it high helps lifts trees for dragging backwards, and for my old atv plow use, IMO. Hope it helps.

Did you have to get new bolts to mount the winch with the plate that holds the roller fairlead?

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Did you have to get new bolts to mount the winch with the plate that holds the roller fairlead?
Don’t think so, bumper was similar thickness as most mounting plates.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
No problems, strong as its name. Like the design so much got a similar one for other brand machine. Bumped a few trees, just needed touch up paint.

8EBE71D8 2126 4893 B449 6278800F1343 06D26904 E8A8 486E B3EB 4E171A042AED

Reactions: Mudwing
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Not sure on the Badlands winch, the SW Terra 4500 uses less amps then most winches out there including the SW Terra 3500. In the research I had done a while back it beat out Warn and all others at that time for low amp usage, waterproof, stronger internals too. Only down side is the SW mounting plate that holds the fare lead, the upright tabs should have a small gusset behind for greater strength. I’ve bent mine even on light pulls. KFI mount has been great. In respect to wiring I used 4g wire from stock battery to under hood Odessey 925C AGM battery, with Blue Sea mini add a battery kit. Run all the auxiliary stuff like winch, lights etc off under hood battery. Blue Sea is a battery isolator that regulates charging to whichever battery needs charging. Stock battery is isolated for starting engine only, takes priority charging (I think), so you always have a topped up starter battery. It does cost a bit to set up and is time consuming to do, but totally worth the effort and you don’t have to do it all at once either can be done in stages. Mine is primarily a work machine and I work in remote areas alone lots, so durability, reliability is a must, compared with paying for a remote recovery, lost time in wages, safety and client relations above was most effective method for reliable self recovery.

Reactions: Mudder
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!