elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Success! A little bit of everything. Neighbor gave me a double handful of small (1/8") flat blade screwdrivers that allowed me to get the cotter moved enough that I could get a 17mm combo on it. Then I sheared what was left with the castle nut ...

Will likely finish this afternoon.

Last edited:
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Success! A little bit of everything. Neighbor gave me a double handful of small (1/8") flat blade screwdrivers that allowed me to get the cotter voved enough that I could get a 17mm combo on it. Then I sheared what was left with the castle nut ...

I was gonna say the same as tram and elk guy. The pins are pretty sh!++^ but are a pain. Glad you made progress.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Success! A little bit of everything. Neighbor gave me a double handful of small (1/8") flat blade screwdrivers that allowed me to get the cotter moved enough that I could get a 17mm combo on it. Then I sheared what was left with the castle nut ...

Glad you got that handled, I was getting tired of listening about it, HA! Crap like that can be very frustrating, I've had to walk away several times.

elkaholic

elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Not used to cotter pins that can be sheared so easily ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Not used to cotter pins that can be sheared so easily ....

I would have never tried that either as all it would do with the ones that I'm used to would have been to lock it on more.

Glad that you're making progress.

Reactions: elkaholic
sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Uh, only took me 30 mins to get all 6 out, intact!

I am an amateur mechanic, psst you pros!!

Ha, HA!!;)

Reactions: ohanacreek and JTW
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I’m in the process of installing the arched SuperATV front a arms on my P1K. I’ve got new Honda ball joints pressed into the new arms and I am in the process of removing the OE a arms.

The goal is to remove that a arms and replace with the new ones as described in the P1K service manual. This does not require disassembling the hub from the steering knuckle and the axle from the hub. However the DA that installed the front suspension on my P1K put the cotter pins on the upper ball joints in parallel to the axle: ie the folded apart ends are against the inner face of the knuckle and the closed end is facing the centerline of the rig .... bastages

See pic
View attachment 61321

I have spent the better part of three hours trying to extract the pin. I have managed to straighten the bent over part but I cannot nudge the pin. Yes I have tightened and loosened the castle nut. Yes I have used vent needle nose pliers to try to wiggle it out. Yes, I have tried gun cleaning hooks to try to start the thing out so I can grab it with pliers.

I called it quits before I got out the black powder and caps .....

I am open to suggestions before I tear everything down (which will delay me as I don’t have the seals for the wheel bearings). I thought about sticking mig wire on the pin (the pin is steel) but doubt I can be that precise. Have thought about industrial epoxying a fragment of an old cotter pin to the head.

I really want to run down to the plant (about an hour away) and find the SOB that was assembling front suspensions the day mine was built and kick is as- around the plant ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Probably the same santanic design as CV boot clamp inventor. Try securing those in the field with common tools.

P1000 - HONDA CV Boot kits Near Identical Part #

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!