Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Edited to add - the modification on the handheld mic below turned out not to improve the audio enough to be beneficial - recommendation now is to not buy the speaker mic pictured - thread below still has good information and will continue to update

The benefit of using the Baofeng handheld are that they are cheap. The downside is that they are cheap. For those of you using one of their speaker mics you may or your friends may have noticed that the audio is actually worse when you ate talking into the speaker mic. That is because the actual mic hole is misplaced, too small etc. So feel free to try the following mod and your audio will improve. - Does not improve how you hear people but it does improve how they hear you.

Here you can see the mic hole
Upload 2018 1 25 15 1 28

So go ahead and turn over the mic and unscrew the three screws in the back
Upload 2018 1 25 15 2 20

Separate the front and the back and take one additional screw out
Upload 2018 1 25 15 2 58

Once you peal back the circuit board you can actually see the mic and the hole that your voice is coming through
Upload 2018 1 25 15 3 47

What you want to do is enlarge this hole - I used a drill bit
Upload 2018 1 25 15 4 27

Now if you have an old earbud or mic foam you can put that in there but it is not needed. Go ahead and reassemble and you can test it out. -
Upload 2018 1 25 15 6 7

Last edited:
GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can you post a link to the mic. Need to get one before the takeover.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Link to Mic for handheld

Edited to add - even with mod performance is still sub par.

Last edited:
Reactions: GlockMeister
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did some more testing with @nbomar this evening - the baofeng speaker mic I linked above is crap - even with the mod.

I am ordering a kenwood speaker mic to test out. I do not recommend buying the baofeng speaker mic linked above ... waste of money

Reactions: GlockMeister
GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did some more testing with @nbomar this evening - the baofeng speaker mic I linked above is crap - even with the mod.

I am ordering a kenwood speaker mic to test out. I do not recommend buying the baofeng speaker mic linked above ... waste of money
I shall await your recommendation!

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is the mic I have and I don’t have any complaints..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00Z4X3MM6?tag=sxsweb24-20
Thanks @JTW. I can tell you when we were testing I would transmit using the speaker mic and then using the just the radio and the difference was significant. That is an easy way to tell if your mic is really an issue.

I looked at the reviews for this one and I thought they had some good ones so I ordered this and a real kenwood mic. We will test them out

Reactions: JTW and Landman

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!