P500 Battery life

M

Moose308

Jun 16, 2015
What is the expected battery life for sxs and atv?I keep them plugged in on battery tender jr.

ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
funny you should mention. I just plugged mine into a tender not 5 minutes ago. Thats a great question. Mine has been going strong since May 2015. But I too wondered when I should change it. It would suck major if you shut off your ride to take in the sights and couldn't crank it back up.
I'm sure you cant push start a 500.
And is there an upgrade for the battery? Lately when I ride I don't shut it down until I'm back to the truck

Reactions: Ollie and Moose308
gullyjumper

gullyjumper

Sep 30, 2016
cookeville tn
Ownership

1. 1000-3
funny you should mention. I just plugged mine into a tender not 5 minutes ago. Thats a great question. Mine has been going strong since May 2015. But I too wondered when I should change it. It would suck major if you shut off your ride to take in the sights and couldn't crank it back up.
And is there an upgrade for the battery? Lately when I ride I don't shut it down until I'm back to the truck
They will last for years with using a trickle charger

Last edited:
Reactions: rocmar
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Hot & cold...is wat ruins
your battery...you'll know
when it's ready to go...
the battery they come with
Probably concidered a
medium grade.....
trickle charge...or remove
in cold

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

I run a tender on all of my electric start small engines. I even run one on my truck, due to something drawing on the battery. I think it's one of the amplifiers.
This is one of the coolest things they can do with Lithium batteries now. I think I paid like $69 for this on ebay in early April. Threw in it the toolbox and checked it once a month, always showed full. Three times recently I let the truck go dead, and this little sucker jumped it all three times without putting a charge on it for close to six months. Put a fresh charge on it now and back in the toolbox. The days of jumper cables are done. Bestek in Hand Bestek in Case

ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I run a tender on all of my electric start small engines. I even run one on my truck, due to something drawing on the battery. I think it's one of the amplifiers.
This is one of the coolest things they can do with Lithium batteries now. I think I paid like $69 for this on ebay in early April. Threw in it the toolbox and checked it once a month, always showed full. Three times recently I let the truck go dead, and this little sucker jumped it all three times without putting a charge on it for close to six months. Put a fresh charge on it now and back in the toolbox. The days of jumper cables are done.View attachment 23857 View attachment 23856
Thats a must for out on the trails alone

J

JTW

This is one of the coolest things they can do with Lithium batteries now. I think I paid like $69 for this on ebay in early April. Threw in it the toolbox and checked it once a month, always showed full. Three times recently I let the truck go dead, and this little sucker jumped it all three times without putting a charge on it for close to six months. Put a fresh charge on it now and back in the toolbox. The days of jumper cables are done.View attachment 23857 View attachment 23856
I need to get a couple of those

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yep, that's the ticket buddy. I have similar with equal results.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
What is the expected battery life for sxs and atv?I keep them plugged in on battery tender jr.
Picked up my P5 late July 2014 and I'm still on the OEM battery with never a hesitation.

Reactions: SBuckJ and Moose308
advertisement
Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
In my past experiences with my atvs as long as you are using them occasionally, they last for many years. Only time i had issues was when they sat unused for months at at time. Or in the cold for too long with little use. But trickle chargers never hurt. Thats what my bike gets over the winter months.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
As others have stated, freezing temps are hard on the little batteries.

One thing that will help your battery last longer: open up your battery box once in a while and clean the battery off - especially the top. Spray some degreaser on it and hose it off so it's nice and clean. If there is a lot of dirt/mud on the top of your battery, it will draw it down over time. Same for your cars/trucks. Keep the battery clean.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Trigger... Do you have a winch? Is it connected through the key switch (does the key have to be on to use it?)
They can draw several millivolts all the time holding the relay.

Reactions: JTW
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Trigger... Do you have a winch? Is it connected through the key switch (does the key have to be on to use it?)
They can draw several millivolts all the time holding the relay.

Yeah, I have a KFI Stealth 3500 and the switch is wired into the harness, I think, but the leads go all the way back. Maybe the switch was just powered off the solenoid, can't remember.
Why, what do you mean?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Batteries are happiest at 72*, maintain that (lol) for maximum battery life.

D

Deleted member 3748

This is one of the coolest things they can do with Lithium batteries now. I think I paid like $69 for this on ebay in early April. Threw in it the toolbox and checked it once a month, always showed full. Three times recently I let the truck go dead, and this little sucker jumped it all three times without putting a charge on it for close to six months. Put a fresh charge on it now and back in the toolbox. The days of jumper cables are done.
@trigger - Is this the battery pack you're using?
Amazon.com: BESTEK 600A Peak 10000mAh Car Battery Charger Jump Starter, Li-ion Battery Booster with Dual USB Charging Port and Built-in LED Flashlight, Green: Automotive

Reactions: trigger
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!