Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Comment above makes me wonder, can you push/pull start a P 500?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Comment above makes me wonder, can you push/pull start a P 500?

Nope, no pull start for a back up and that's why I carry one of these.
It's nice just to have around the garage, if one of the vehicles doesn't start, just pop the hood and hook it up.
No need to even own jumper cables anymore.

Reactions: JTW and Montecresto
Chevy412SP

Chevy412SP

Aug 30, 2018
Western New York
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What is the expected battery life for sxs and atv?I keep them plugged in on battery tender jr.
Well I have a 2008 Yamaha Grizzly 700 I bought used in 2010 and put a battery tender on it the first day on the original stock battery. Stock battery was in it for over 8 years when it started becoming a little hard starting so I put a new battery in it and still started same. Come to find out it was the spark plug was fouled out. Would have still had the original battery in had I know it was the spark plug and I live in Buffalo NY where we have damn brutal winters and I started it everyday to plow my driveway and everyone else's driveway in my neighborhood so it got a workout with the winch for the plow and never gave me issues. I can only imagine how long I would have had the battery had I not changed it.

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
My stock battery in my 700 was toast after 2 months . Honda wanted to go through so many hoops to replace it I bought a better one myself and have been problem free ever since.

ShotgunClay

ShotgunClay

Mar 13, 2018
Founders Ranch New Mexico
Ownership

1. 500
Mine seems to be holding up fine, as the 500 is outside all the time (well, maybe under cover but never garaged) for over a year now.

Honda has access to some serious batteries. My 2005 S2000 didn't need a battery replacement until 2015. It was a Japanese made Panasonic that isn't imported here, but came with the car. Replaced it with your standard everyday unit.

P

PNWGuy

Depends on the climate.

In Arizona, I had to replace motorcycle and auto batteries every two years, at least. Heat absolutely kills them. Tires, too.

Up here in Idaho, my Yukon battery is a 2013 and is just starting to get weak. Will have to replace it this Fall.

Reactions: Backwoods
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
really depends on how often your ride it how long the ride is. how often do you winch. how hard you winch. i went through 3 batteries in 3 yrs. got tired of changing them. or having to get a jump sometimes. so i went marine grade and ran 2 wires from stock battery place to the rear of my bike.
Ef05181e61d6d95ce3e1a11888d467d8

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

advertisement
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Mine dying today, 2 yrs, 9 months. Almost daily rider, use charger.

Reactions: DaddyDubbs
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Good thread, my 15 was purchased autumn of 2014, I’ve ran it flat a few times with the winch ploughing snow, charged it and used a trickle charge on it over the years. It’s always left outside albeit covered when not used. Just noticed the other day it hesitated on start up (starter, just for a millisecond) so not surprised if it’s done. I’ve packed a small lithium for powering work gear and they are excellent. Also have a secondary auxiliary battery that’s robust (Odyssey Extreme PC925) and is wired into Mini Blue Sea dual battery isolator system. Stock battery is for starting only (if desired and typically I leave it isolated), auxiliary battery powers winch, aux lights etc. This system has worked perfectly since install.
Now if I am replacing stock battery I’m thinking AGM type battery looking for recommendations.
Thanks,
jrc

Last edited:
Reactions: trigger
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Heat absolutely kills them.

PNW is right that heat is what kills them. Not so much from being in a hot engine compartment or a hot climate, that doesn't help either, but from extensive charging. Running a battery down to nothing isn't what's bad for it, it's the charge back up that generates heat and warps the plates inside. That's why they have trickle chargers to slow down the process. I have two batteries wired in parallel in my machine and run a tender year round. Anything to shorten the duration of charging will extend battery life. FWIW.

Reactions: Mudder
Badblubug

Badblubug

Oct 28, 2017
North woods
Ownership

1. 500
What is the expected battery life for sxs and atv?I keep them plugged in on battery tender jr.

I have a 2007 Honda rancher with the original battery that has never been on a battery tender or charger...lucky? I guess... maybe I should change it...

Reactions: Gassygordo
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Looks like a bad voltage regulator may have given my battery a premature death.

Reactions: Mudwing