Battery maintenance

A

Alg

Aug 10, 2014
I would like to put a battery maintenance charger on my Honda 500, like a 1 1/2 or 2 amp charger, with a lead mounted on the battery with a plug-in. I would leave it plugged in when not being used, then unplug it when I use it. The lead left on the battery would need a cap so it would not foul up, or short. How would I do this with the battery in a box? Is there some access hole that a lead could run through? What type of charger would work best?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use a "battery tender" brand have for years, comes with a 2' lead. Just take the battery out of the box mans drill a hole and seal it back with a grommet and silicone.

H

hoggr9

Sep 10, 2014
Xenia, IL
Ownership

1. 500
I belive you could put a cigaretter adapter plug on the battery tender cable and just plug into the port under the dash without having to modify the machine at all. Assuming the port stays hot with the key off. I too have had good luck with the Battery Tender Jr models for the last several years.

D

dynabob2007

Oct 18, 2014
Iv been using the tender on all my ATV's and motorcycles since 2003. Never had to change a battery on any of my machines. It keeps the battery at a full charge throughout the winter when the cold is hard on batteries.....

M

mikeyd

Aug 3, 2014
the right side of the battery box has a notch/cut away where other electrical connections come in.
I just ran the lead for the tender out of that, no drill required
I also paired the battery tender with a small battery heater (http://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Mule-FM316-Battery-Heater/dp/B0015RZAGQ) that is supposed to help on those cold nights up north
the whole setup is plugged into a thermoplug that comes on at 35, goes off at 45 (http://www.amazon.com/Farm-Innovators-TC-3-Thermostatically-Controlled/dp/B0006U2HD2)
we'll see how it works when the temp really drops

Realtreegrizzly

Realtreegrizzly

Jan 20, 2014
Battery tender?? Your not supposed to let them sit long enough to need charged.

Reactions: terbo

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!