Battery Question

P

peatmoss

Jul 21, 2014
So ever since the first "cold snap" here my P500's battery doesn't have enough juice to start. I put a battery charger on it and it fires right up with 30 seconds. Battery shows it is in the "green" on the charger. Anyone had this issue or should I load her up and take her to the dealer.

Thanks for your help!

P

peatmoss

Jul 21, 2014
I forgot to mention that this happens even the next day after I park it.

Elkhunter

Elkhunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 17, 2013
Minnesota
Sounds like a bad Battery or charging system problem. A short that's draining battery when not using it? Take the battery out and have it tested first.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do you have anything that does not have the power dropped to it when the ignition is off? If so the small 6ah motorcycle battery does not have enough capacity to stay charged very long.

P

peatmoss

Jul 21, 2014
No it is all stock. I "assume" everything goes dead when I turn the key off. I always take the key out too.

P

peatmoss

Jul 21, 2014
So I took it to my shop and they looked over the charging system and battery. It was determined to be the battery. Parts guy that in all of his years he has never seen Honda batteries coming back in to the shop. He said here lately he is noticing a bunch coming back. Also just food-for-thought... While the mechanic was working on my rig he cross-threaded one of the screws going into the battery box. He said that they were cheaply made. So they put a nut on the back instead of fixing it right. Hm........

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Peatmoss,
Thanks for the followup post. Being Honda trying to cut cost, I'm sure they put a cheap, no name battery in. Glad the dealer is getting it covered for you.
As for the screw, Sucks they crossed it. Hopefully you want be in there much. But I guess just be happy they covered the battery.
Happy trails.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!