P500 Duel battery with trickle charger

Pemby

Pemby

Ive almost completed my duel battery system and would like to wire in a trickle charging harness, I have the True Isolator from HondaSXS installed

if I install the trickle charge leads to my auxiliary Battery posts, will the isolator alow the trickle charger to charge the main battery as well as the aux battery, or do I need to install the trickle charger to the Main battery.

Reactions: Smitty335
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
imo, connect to main battery, once that is charged fully and the isolator closes, it will charge auxiliary battery, I would always want start battery fully charged

Soaz1000

Soaz1000

Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2018
Soaz
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The true isolator is ambidextrous it will charge both ways. I called them and asked this very same question. Mine is hooked to the aux battery. Never had a problem with it.

Reactions: Hondasxs
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
The true isolator is ambidextrous it will charge both ways. I called them and asked this very same question. Mine is hooked to the aux battery. Never had a problem with it.
Yes, either when installed as instructed.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Thanks, I agree the main battery would be the first choice. The reason I asked was if I could connect the charger to the aux and it would work the same. It’s a hell of a lot easy to install than in that OME battery box, connection bolt issue etc..
While the isolator will (eventually) allow both batteries to be charged no matter which battery you connect the charger to, I would say that the AUX battery would be the better choice.

If your aftermarket goodies are connected as most folks connect them (to the AUX battery), the isolator protects that primary battery from being drained by the AUX load by cutting it off at 12.9V. Being that your AUX battery will likely be powering things when the vehicle is off, you'll see the AUX battery being drained far more often and moreso than the primary battery. If I were needing to charge two batteries and I knew one was NOT going to be very low (primary), I'd start by charging the one that is most likely lower (AUX) and then letting it charge the primary battery once the AUX reaches 13.4V.

Just my $0.02.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!