S

sheba4

Jan 5, 2018
mn.
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

3. Big Red
Gary here in minnesota. i was told that in cold climets the stinger has failed on some units... is that true? should i just not install the stinger? i use my p1000-5 in the winter mostly for ice fishing... 10 degrees most times...

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Use a normal solenoid and a switch

OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I had one and it froze on a regualr basis on me. Replaced it with a Cole Hersee. Works perfectly now.

S

sheba4

Jan 5, 2018
mn.
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

3. Big Red
Ok thanks, I guess I will.try one of those..
Where did you get yours?

Thanks,
Gary

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Reactions: Lapcinski

1101HotDog

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2019
Fargo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Gary here in minnesota. i was told that in cold climets the stinger has failed on some units... is that true? should i just not install the stinger? i use my p1000-5 in the winter mostly for ice fishing... 10 degrees most times...
1101HotDog/Bill here in beautiful, sunny, tropical North Dakota. I built mine exclusively for ice fishing and I've had issues with my 2nd battery engaging accessories. My coldest starting temperature has been -27 F and the Pioneer has always started. After it's started, I'll flip the auxiliary battery switch to engage the accessories and there's been a delay of anywhere from 10 to 25 minutes before power is flowing thru the system. I had a real pro with wiring, help me build the project and we both agreed that the blockage has to be the Stinger. I brought along a voltmeter so I could identify this anomaly but apparently a watched pot doesn't boil. Ever since I started to carry the voltmeter, there hasn't been any issues. The Stinger Mfg say that it engages at 0.3 amps. Not that the Stinger has failed, but it sure seems to have electrical constipation at below F temps, but always works when it's a balmy 0+F temperature.

Reactions: TripleB
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
1101HotDog/Bill here in beautiful, sunny, tropical North Dakota. I built mine exclusively for ice fishing and I've had issues with my 2nd battery engaging accessories. My coldest starting temperature has been -27 F and the Pioneer has always started. After it's started, I'll flip the auxiliary battery switch to engage the accessories and there's been a delay of anywhere from 10 to 25 minutes before power is flowing thru the system. I had a real pro with wiring, help me build the project and we both agreed that the blockage has to be the Stinger. I brought along a voltmeter so I could identify this anomaly but apparently a watched pot doesn't boil. Ever since I started to carry the voltmeter, there hasn't been any issues. The Stinger Mfg say that it engages at 0.3 amps. Not that the Stinger has failed, but it sure seems to have electrical constipation at below F temps, but always works when it's a balmy 0+F temperature.
My stinger was doing the same thing in only 30 degree weather. I could tap on it with something and it would open up. It's only a year old. I replaced it this Saturday with this.

Dont know if it will be any better or not. It mounts directly in the holes that the stinger was mounted.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
My stinger was not working a couple times this winter when plowing snow. Wouldn't engage and let power through, so my winch wouldn't work to raise my plow. I tapped on it a bunch of times and it would start working. If I have any issues with it in warm weather, I'll replace it with something different.

1101HotDog

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2019
Fargo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My stinger was doing the same thing in only 30 degree weather. I could tap on it with something and it would open up. It's only a year old. I replaced it this Saturday with this.

Dont know if it will be any better or not. It mounts directly in the holes that the stinger was mounted.
Thank you, I ordered a Cole Hersee this morning. I've got a 4 day ice fishing trip coming up, so I'll be ready if there's any trouble.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!