P500 Battery Tender

ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Anyone use a battery tender?
I bought one but have yet to connect it. Does the p500 recharge the battery when running?

I did read the manual and it mentioned a charging system but I assume that is for accessories.

Last edited:
M

Moose308

Jun 16, 2015
Anyone use a battery tender?
I bought one but have yet to connect it. Does the p500 recharge the battery when running?

I did read the manual and it mentioned a charging system but I assume that is for accessories.
Yes the 500 charges the battery when it is running. However the tender keeps the charge topped off when it is not running. Most people use them.Your battery life will be much longer.

Reactions: alloutdoors and AlR
ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Yes the 500 charges the battery when it is running. However the tender keeps the charge topped off when it is not running. Most people use them.Your battery life will be much longer.
Good morning moose and thanks for the quick reply. I'm connecting it as we speak.

I'm also thinking of a battery upgrade.
My add on list just keeps getting longer

Reactions: Fordman
Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Exactly what he said - I have tenders on both my machines and some of our larger eqpt. Really helps when they are stored for a while and never have a dead battery.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Reactions: Mudder
I

iceboundzeke

Mar 15, 2016
Iowa
Any other suggestions for a good battery tender

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
I have 2 different inexpensive ones and they both work great . I like the battery tender one the best as it has easy to see light that tells you the charge condition at a glance .

Reactions: 100Acre
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My stock battery has walked the plank. No starting not even a whirr. Me guessing the cold nipped it a bit too much. Should I get a newer better battery and also a battery tender? Forgive my ignorance but is that just like a battery charger for a regular vehicle? Will one of those work instead? I already have one. I guess I could see the advantages of keeping a smaller one on board the p5. Are there any ways to get a jump charge while out on the trails alone? Any recommendations on better than stock batteries? Can ‘o worms I did....

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@100Acre
Battery tender is a smart trickle charger. It will usually monitor the state of charge of the battery, and when it is charged enough to hit x volts, the charger shuts off and continually monitors. If voltage drops below threshold, it starts charging again.

Where as your battery charger will have a 2/10/50 amp setting on it. While they work for charging a dead battery, they typically do not have the proper technology on board to mimic a battery maintainer.

Jump charge on trails.
Excellent question!
15-20 years ago everyone came out with these big jump boxes. Typically $200 and heavy. Had a bigger battery in it than your stock pioneer. Battery technology seems to. Be advancing as fast as one can keep up with it. Now you can buy a 1000 amp jump box that is no bigger than an iPhone.
Noco GB40 seems to be popular. Good reviews, decent price point of $100

If you want help or suggestions on putting together a maintainer or jump box, i can fire up a pc and start sending links. Pita to do thru my ipad.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@100Acre
Battery tender is a smart trickle charger. It will usually monitor the state of charge of the battery, and when it is charged enough to hit x volts, the charger shuts off and continually monitors. If voltage drops below threshold, it starts charging again.

Where as your battery charger will have a 2/10/50 amp setting on it. While they work for charging a dead battery, they typically do not have the proper technology on board to mimic a battery maintainer.

Jump charge on trails.
Excellent question!
15-20 years ago everyone came out with these big jump boxes. Typically $200 and heavy. Had a bigger battery in it than your stock pioneer. Battery technology seems to. Be advancing as fast as one can keep up with it. Now you can buy a 1000 amp jump box that is no bigger than an iPhone.
Noco GB40 seems to be popular. Good reviews, decent price point of $100

If you want help or suggestions on putting together a maintainer or jump box, i can fire up a pc and start sending links. Pita to do thru my ipad.
Yes please, that’d be great!

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Battery Tender . Have six sxs s and quads and 2 cars that I have been using them on for over 3 years . All good so far on all the units I use them on .

I

iceboundzeke

Mar 15, 2016
Iowa
I now have a battery tender on my 500. Hope this helps with the starts after sitting idle so far so good. But has not set idle for more than 3 days.

Reactions: RumpRocket

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!