Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Installed the $3 trash can, installed one yesterday after reading other posts for Cheap Underseat Storage.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Actually Honda sells an underseat storage compartment for that space.

I think you could fit both if you wanted too.

Looks like the side cover cost may be worth it to experiment with the OEM side cover for drawer front

I would try to find a way to hinge that panel.
You could enclose everything behind it, would be like a cubby storage on an RV or bus.

D

Deleted member 3748

I've thought about having a battery in that spot as well. You have great ideas for making it work. I find myself accessing the engine through that hole frequently. I haven't fully figured out your plan yet but I'd make sure it's easily removable so you can get in there. I know you want your batt. cables to be as short as possible, but maybe an extra foot of cables so it's not a pain in the ass to get the battery out of the way?

I'm curious to see your design because I want to see your idea for having the underseat storage AND a battery in there. Very interesting!!

Reactions: 100Acre and trigger
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I've thought about having a battery in that spot as well. You have great ideas for making it work. I find myself accessing the engine through that hole frequently. I haven't fully figured out your plan yet but I'd make sure it's easily removable so you can get in there. I know you want your batt. cables to be as short as possible, but maybe an extra foot of cables so it's not a pain in the ass to get the battery out of the way?

I'm curious to see your design because I want to see your idea for having the underseat storage AND a battery in there. Very interesting!!

Yeah, I plan to have some extra cable for just that reason. The cover I put on is removable, the plan is to wire the battery up, in the box, on the ground and then just lift it up and into a fixed tray. Strap it up and zip tie the extra cable back.

Reactions: Deleted member 3748
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Found this waterproof 10 in. square box at surplus store, couldn't resist buying it. Thinking about side mount, goes with my green machine. Just the right size for side panel and 7.5 in. depth fits up against 3 gal. trash can from underseat hole. Just a thought.

IMG 3822 IMG 3823

Last edited:
S

saleen722

Jan 12, 2017
US
I stuck my second battery under the hood. Fits great and I put rubber around the casing. I stuck the charger cable along the side of the post for hide away charging.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

J

Jshell3

I know right? That's why I can't believe no one had done this yet.
Been eyeing that framing member with the holes, there are also two horizontal pieces that run front to back on either side of seat area, kinda tucked up in there. Could use those to hang a tray from, access the box through the hole.
Here's the cover that I made so it's not getting all that mud from the wheel well. Has a hole drilled in it at the top to accept the seat belt bolt too, it's solid.
View attachment 39411 View attachment 39412 Rolled it under the bar just a little bit at the bottom.
That looks good @trigger !

J

JTW

Those have been available since the introduction of the P500. Honda is great about way overpricing their accessories.
Yes.. I wasn't paying attention to this being a 500 thread. They just came out with it for the 1000.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Tried fitting the box through the hole and it went through but was real, real tight. That meant I couldn't access it or service it that way, so I just went from the bottom. Fabbed up the tray and mounted it, pretty easy really and plenty of room leftover, nothing wrong with having some room. Just cut one side of the angle and bent corners, then bolted, it's solid. Two bolts down through the frame, one through the side into vertical 1 1/4" square. Dry fit the box to make sure everything would work, then pulled everything out, all under paint now.
Gotta get a battery and hope to have it wired up tomorrow.
Tray parts Tray Mounted Box

D

Deleted member 3748

Looks great!! What are you going to use for hold downs? Some threaded rod with a hook bent into the end may work. I'm going to check out some marine suppliers.

Reactions: trigger
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
No luck at West Marine. At Jegs, however...

Battery Tray | JEGS

Yeah, I saw those. All too big for a U1 battery though, and those are set up to hold an uncovered battery, I wanted one in a box. Like on a travel trailer, just strap the box in around the tray. I plan to put two around this one though. ;)
Bought a Die Hard Gold last night, 340 cca and a 1yr warranty, $54 with a core trade.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
May have to order online. Hope you can find one locally.

IMG 3841

Reactions: trigger
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

Had no intention on doing that originally. I don't use that space for storage and now it houses the second battery. Picked up this bottle jack at wally world, like $22. I have other bottle jacks but this came with a case. 6.5"x 10.5"x 4.5". It's going to fit in that space too and it fits through the factory hole under seat. Just have to figure out how I want to mount it, needs to be independent of the battery mount.
Black Jack Bottle Jack

D

Deleted member 3748

I changed my oil on Saturday and was looking around while I waited for the drain. You're right, @trigger , there's a ton of room under the seat!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!