BOX1

Battery upgrade?

Hilgart2017

Hilgart2017

Jan 3, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Has anyone upgraded to a bigger battery than the stock one? I wanna go bigger so i don’t completely screw up the one that’s in it (which i probably already have). I have a 12k winch and I’ve used it some but after the first time using it my batteries (i do have 2 in it) won’t hold a charge anymore than about a day. I just don’t know what the charging system can hold up to battery wise. And i don’t want to put a huge strain on it. TIA

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Has anyone upgraded to a bigger battery than the stock one? I wanna go bigger so i don’t completely screw up the one that’s in it (which i probably already have). I have a 12k winch and I’ve used it some but after the first time using it my batteries (i do have 2 in it) won’t hold a charge anymore than about a day. I just don’t know what the charging system can hold up to battery wise. And i don’t want to put a huge strain on it. TIA
The charging system can put out a maximum of 700 watts (roughly 50 amps) at 5000 RPM regardless how many batteries you attach to it. It can charge 5 full size car batteries if you are patient enough.

"won’t hold a charge anymore than about a day" is so vague there is no way someone here can help you. Are you saying your batteries are dead after sitting a day or dead after using the winch all day for the day?

And like everyone else has posted, 12K winch is massive overkill. That is rated to pull 12K at a 45 degree angle. My 5K winch (still overkill for a Talon) will drag my Talon with all 4 tires locked on pavement. I even moved the front of my 1 ton Duramax sideways trying to pull a tree with my Talon tethered to my truck.

Get a smaller winch, a good second battery and a good isolator.

Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Only reason i got the 12k was cuz it was on sale a cheaper than a 5k at the time. So i said screw it I’ll give it a shot.
Well at least u admitted it 🤣
prob why it was cheeper.

was about to ask, how many dump trucks were u expecting to see on Trail? 🤣

yeah, buy yourself a smaller one. And put that one on your truck.

Reactions: FJC 79
Hilgart2017

Hilgart2017

Jan 3, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
The charging system can put out a maximum of 700 watts (roughly 50 amps) at 5000 RPM regardless how many batteries you attach to it. It can charge 5 full size car batteries if you are patient enough.

"won’t hold a charge anymore than about a day" is so vague there is no way someone here can help you. Are you saying your batteries are dead after sitting a day or dead after using the winch all day for the day?

And like everyone else has posted, 12K winch is massive overkill. That is rated to pull 12K at a 45 degree angle. My 5K winch (still overkill for a Talon) will drag my Talon with all 4 tires locked on pavement. I even moved the front of my 1 ton Duramax sideways trying to pull a tree with my Talon tethered to my truck.

Get a smaller winch, a good second battery and a good isolator.
Only reason i have the 12k is cuz when i bought it, it was on sale and cheaper than the 5k so i bit the bullet. But i can charge the batteries up and everything is good no winch issues while I’m running. But after a weekend of riding after i get home and it sits for about a day they’re dead. But i didn’t have this issue until after the first weekend after installing it. I was winching out of a hole and the machine died. Started right back up no problem but after getting it home that weekend, went to move it to wash it a couple days later and batteries were dead. But idk if it’s that or somethin else. I’m fixing to go through and redo wiring for my lights and revamp it all with better equipment instead of the cheap Rocker switches that i have. But i wanted to upgrade not only for the winch but sound system and lighting too. That way i don’t have to worry about it not starting after running the stereo for an extended period of time.

Hilgart2017

Hilgart2017

Jan 3, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Well at least u admitted it 🤣
prob why it was cheeper.

was about to ask, how many dump trucks were u expecting to see on Trail? 🤣

yeah, buy yourself a smaller one. And put that one on your truck.
Lol. Another reason was me and a buddy were riding one weekend and i had 2 5k (at least) winches tied to me and it was still a struggle to get out 😂

Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Lol. Another reason was me and a buddy were riding one weekend and i had 2 5k (at least) winches tied to me and it was still a struggle to get out 😂
Did they have snatch blocks or just the winch?

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Only reason i have the 12k is cuz when i bought it, it was on sale and cheaper than the 5k so i bit the bullet. But i can charge the batteries up and everything is good no winch issues while I’m running. But after a weekend of riding after i get home and it sits for about a day they’re dead. But i didn’t have this issue until after the first weekend after installing it. I was winching out of a hole and the machine died. Started right back up no problem but after getting it home that weekend, went to move it to wash it a couple days later and batteries were dead. But idk if it’s that or somethin else. I’m fixing to go through and redo wiring for my lights and revamp it all with better equipment instead of the cheap Rocker switches that i have. But i wanted to upgrade not only for the winch but sound system and lighting too. That way i don’t have to worry about it not starting after running the stereo for an extended period of time.
As you are discovering, cheaper is not always better.

12K winch, lights stereo not isolated on a separate (BIG) battery? You are just asking for trouble.

Go to the Club Store, get yourself a proper isolator and fix your system. Make sure you use a big battery or get a smaller winch...

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Are your batteries isolated or wired in parallel?
I've been isolated all my life, seems to work for me! HA! I Power my secondary battery through an isolator, it was easy, power my fuse panel for winch and all accessorizes from the secondary battery, been that way since 2017, no issues.

Reactions: ChadD and FJC 79
ToolTime

ToolTime

Oct 10, 2020
Oregon
Ownership

1. Talon X
I put a NoCo Lithium battery in mine, happy with it so far. At the time they only had them available with the terminals opposite to OEM so I had to work the wire terminals over a bit and slide it in terminals first, but it really wasn’t that big of a deal.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!