P500 Battery ?

Yellowbeast

Yellowbeast

May 29, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 500
So my question is does anyone have a volt meter installed with power steering? And how much draw do you get from the power steering? I want to make sure that when I get power steering and I got to plow snow at night with my headlights and 22” led light bar is on that there isn’t to much draw on the stock battery when I run the winch up and down. Thanks

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
So my question is does anyone have a volt meter installed with power steering? And how much draw do you get from the power steering? I want to make sure that when I get power steering and I got to plow snow at night with my headlights and 22” led light bar is on that there isn’t to much draw on the stock battery when I run the winch up and down. Thanks
The draw from winching will take its toll on your battery regardless of whether or not you add power steering. Just add a trickle charger! I actually added a dual battery system and have mine isolated with everything else on the secondary battery including the winch.

But for what it’s worth I believe the motors on the power steering units are 220 watts. So 220/120 looks to be a 1.8 amp draw if I’m not mistaken but I wouldn’t think that’s constant. Add everything up using this approach and you should be close to finding your answer.

Yellowbeast

Yellowbeast

May 29, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 500
The draw from winching will take its toll on your battery regardless of whether or not you add power steering. Just add a trickle charger! I actually added a dual battery system and have mine isolated with everything else on the secondary battery including the winch.

But for what it’s worth I believe the motors on the power steering units are 220 watts. So 220/120 looks to be a 1.8 amp draw if I’m not mistaken but I wouldn’t think that’s constant. Add everything up using this approach and you should be close to finding your answer.

I ran my stock head lights a 22” light bar and two led pod lights while plowing before and the lights dim a little when using the winch but no other issues. I don’t think I will ever run them all like that again I did it to just see what would happen. Just don’t want power steering to put it over the edge lol.

Reactions: Eltobgi
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Power steering will not draw 220 max amps all the time, amps depend on amount of resistance. Likely minimal compared to winching. Consider adding a voltmeter to dash to monitor. Also pleased with my Cteck charging port with status, chargers are a good investment.
https://www.amazon.com/Voltmeter-Wa...lay-Motorcycle/dp/B07P98LHS3/?tag=sxsweb24-20

1A08BDA9 96B0 4233 902B EB15D87AD03F

Last edited:
T

Tstover

Dec 15, 2018
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
I added one of the LED voltage monitors, and when winching/plowing with the headlights on it def drops the voltage pretty good, down to around 12V, but it does recover quickly.

EDIT: My monitor is made by Sparkbright in the UK

Last edited:
Reactions: Mudder
Yellowbeast

Yellowbeast

May 29, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 500
I plan on putting a volt meter on mine but I just don’t know how much my light I installed pull. And how low of volts can the battery drop before getting damaged?

Yellowbeast

Yellowbeast

May 29, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 500
I just looked the 22” light bar is 120w and two pod lights are 18w a piece. The winch is a 2500 badlands from harbor freight. Idk what the stock lights pull. But when plowing at night I normally run the stock lights and my 22” light bar and only use the pod lights when backing up.

T

Tstover

Dec 15, 2018
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
I just looked the 22” light bar is 120w and two pod lights are 18w a piece. The winch is a 2500 badlands from harbor freight. Idk what the stock lights pull. But when plowing at night I normally run the stock lights and my 22” light bar and only use the pod lights when backing up.

Stock lights are 70 watts for the pair. I did put 50 watt lights in, so I’m pulling 100. Forgot to add that to my post above.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!