BOX1

P1000 Bearing change on P1K

DIRTBILY

DIRTBILY

May 31, 2021
Grantville Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Does anyone have a recommendation for the proper tool to remove the snap ring that holds the bearing in the hub assembly? Now that I have 5-6 Band-Aids on my hands I feel it's time to ask. I have tried all the snap ring removal tools at my local parts store and they are junk or to small, I have a set of heavy-duty snap ring removal pliers but those tips are to big, smallest tip is 2.75. Anything will help, thanks in advance.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How many miles are you at? Have you greased them?

I haven't changed mine out, so I can't give you advice on the snap rings - but I do know that mine were squealing at 3,000 miles. I purchased a bearing greaser and now I hit them every brake change, and they're gold.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Does anyone have a recommendation for the proper tool to remove the snap ring that holds the bearing in the hub assembly? Now that I have 5-6 Band-Aids on my hands I feel it's time to ask. I have tried all the snap ring removal tools at my local parts store and they are junk or to small, I have a set of heavy-duty snap ring removal pliers but those tips are to big, smallest tip is 2.75. Anything will help, thanks in advance.
All my snap rings pliers have always been junk. Got a set of these when I changed my wheel bearings thr first time. Quality tool compared to anything I've owned. Lowes stocks them also if you have a store nearby.

DIRTBILY

DIRTBILY

May 31, 2021
Grantville Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-3
How many miles are you at? Have you greased them?

I haven't changed mine out, so I can't give you advice on the snap rings - but I do know that mine were squealing at 3,000 miles. I purchased a bearing greaser and now I hit them every brake change, and they're gold.
2017 P1K-3 w/ 3200 miles, I'm the second owner and the previous owner said he drove it around his property to feed critters and such. After I looked his property up on ONx I noticed he there is a creek he had to cross to access his back 40. Driver side rear had a squeak so I decided to replace all of them and one axle was bad so I figured I'd just replace everything. The bearings I purchased are iconic race bearings which are sealed and don't require greasing.

DIRTBILY

DIRTBILY

May 31, 2021
Grantville Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-3
All my snap rings pliers have always been junk. Got a set of these when I changed my wheel bearings thr first time. Quality tool compared to anything I've owned. Lowes stocks them also if you have a store nearby.
Thanks order placed

DIRTBILY

DIRTBILY

May 31, 2021
Grantville Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Here is the pics, they look similar but it doesn't look like the groove is open.

20210708 082414 20210708 082405

DIRTBILY

DIRTBILY

May 31, 2021
Grantville Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well thanks to TripleB I got the right tool yesterday and was able to remove the snap ring. This is my first time doing this on a Honda, and figured it would be similar to other ATV/UTV'S I've done in the past, wrong! These bearings seemed to be press fit in and your not getting them out with a large diameter socket and the power of Thor.

Went to 2 harbor freight stores and a northern tool to pick up a shop press but no luck. Tried a bearing puller but again no luck. Actually broke the bearing puller.

Anyone got a trick to remove these? I'm thinking about taking them to the local auto shop and see if they can press out the old ones and install the new ones.

H

HondaTech

Well thanks to TripleB I got the right tool yesterday and was able to remove the snap ring. This is my first time doing this on a Honda, and figured it would be similar to other ATV/UTV'S I've done in the past, wrong! These bearings seemed to be press fit in and your not getting them out with a large diameter socket and the power of Thor.

Went to 2 harbor freight stores and a northern tool to pick up a shop press but no luck. Tried a bearing puller but again no luck. Actually broke the bearing puller.

Anyone got a trick to remove these? I'm thinking about taking them to the local auto shop and see if they can press out the old ones and install the new ones.

Press and lots of safety squints.

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3

I cut a piece of 1/4" plate and ground it to fit through the hub. I still use a socket for pushing it's the one that takes the axel nut loose by memory I think its 1 3/16" the plate spreads the load just enough to push the race out of the hub. I use a 12 ton harbor freight press when possible. I beat my first one in on the trailer between rides and had to replace it a ride or two later. I believe I damaged it driving it in with the hammer.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

I use a 50mm or 52mm socket and a BAH to beat them out. I put the bearing in the freezer for a few hours. I use the old bearing and a smaller hammer to tap the new bearing in. I don't recommend any of this except the bearing in the freezer. I only do it this way because it's all I got to work with. I damaged the first bearing I replaced using a socket to tap the new bearing in.

Bad_bowtie

Bad_bowtie

Huge member
Lifetime Member
Jun 29, 2016
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon x4
I use a 50mm or 52mm socket and a BAH to beat them out. I put the bearing in the freezer for a few hours. I use the old bearing and a smaller hammer to tap the new bearing in. I don't recommend any of this except the bearing in the freezer. I only do it this way because it's all I got to work with. I damaged the first bearing I replaced using a socket to tap the new bearing in.

I've not had to change mine yet......not looking forward to it.

DIRTBILY

DIRTBILY

May 31, 2021
Grantville Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks guys, I called the local shop and they said I can bring them hub and new bearings and they will do all 4 for $40. It's like the better option since I can't find a press anywhere around me and the shop is 3 miles down the road

DIRTBILY

DIRTBILY

May 31, 2021
Grantville Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So I was thinking if it's worth the time to do a write up on doing a bearing change front/and rear.

Also the gods smiled on me today and found this guy laying around at Napa. So I'll be pressing pretty much anything I want for now on!!

20210710 133709

DIRTBILY

DIRTBILY

May 31, 2021
Grantville Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ok pop quiz? I've changed all 4 bearing and axles, 2 axles where completely blown out and 3 bearings where busted. Greased/sprayed everything underneath. Checked the the rotors and the pads, and there is still a constant squeaking/scrubbing sound coming the driver side. Anything I may have missed??

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!