P1000 Bed extender

M

Marine660

Club Contributor
Dec 12, 2015
I have the Honda bed extender in the garage ready to be installed today. Looking in the instructions and parts there is nothing that extends the cables to make the tailgate "flat".

Has anyone installed this accessory and can speak to the tailgate angle?

If this kit doesn't lower the tilt on the tailgate, does anyone know where I can get parts to make my own cable? Is there somewhere you can buy an extended cable?

I think Honda screwed up making the tailgate be angled up when open. I can't understand why they would do this...what truck can you buy that does this???

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Good morning, I have had the P700 and the now the P1000 which have both had the tailgates that won't lay flat. I'm not sure why they are that way but I'm very sure it was intentional. When you put a load on it, it does even out a little. It's like those 53' aluminum flat bed trailers, they have a big hump in the belly and level out with a load.

Anyway, there is a member here who is custom making longer tailgate cables if you want them. He also sells on eBay so a quick search should find them.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
As for the bed extender, I had one on the P700 and now have one on the P1000. They are built to accommodate the slanted tailgate.

If you would like some pics or any other help on the install, let me know and I'll be glad to help.

Reactions: Marine660
M

Marine660

Club Contributor
Dec 12, 2015
Appreciate it guys, I will do the install and then evaluate. My worry was fitting cooler in there if it is at an angle.

B

Bornlzr

Nov 13, 2015
Appreciate it guys, I will do the install and then evaluate. My worry was fitting cooler in there if it is at an angle.
On my ex - the 700 that is there is a top and bottom to the bed extender. You can put them it on both ways but you may want to check it visually. I haven't ordered one for the 1000 yet but will, I know of the 700 the rubber bumpers were in different places where they hit the tailgate and also when flipped into the bed.

Reactions: joeymt33 and JACKAL
M

Marine660

Club Contributor
Dec 12, 2015
All installed!!

Image Image Image

C

ckhenshaw4

Mar 1, 2014
Would like to have one for our 700-4. Too much $$$$$

M

Marine660

Club Contributor
Dec 12, 2015
Its kinda like a truck tailgate, you lift it up till it lines up and pull it out.
Yup, exactly if you have ever seen a pickup truck with bed extender it is exactly the same. Very very easy to remove and install

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'd like to have one as well but can't justify 300 bucks for one. I also have complained on here about the tailgate angle. Makes it rough on this old man climbing in there lol

M

Marine660

Club Contributor
Dec 12, 2015
I'd like to have one as well but can't justify 300 bucks for one. I also have complained on here about the tailgate angle. Makes it rough on this old man climbing in there lol
In my opinion it was money well spent. Very heavy duty and I can now carry cooler and tow strap with all three kids and wife on board.

Donnie

Donnie

Dec 18, 2015
SW Missouri
If I could just figure out if my Yeti 50 would fit in there with the extender I'd buy one in a heartbeat. But I just don't think the lid will open once it's in there. If my dealership would ever install one I'd bring my cooler up there and test fit one.

S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015

Delton I just put the tailgate down. Put my cooler up in. I use a ratchet strap and one of the nets. It never moves. I'm also gonna carry a spare tire right there. Who needs the bed extender? Ha

Reactions: Delton and nbomar
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Delton I just put the tailgate down. Put my cooler up in. I use a ratchet strap and one of the nets. It never moves. I'm also gonna carry a spare tire right there. Who needs the bed extender? Ha
You totally read my mind lol

Reactions: Scooterchris
S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015
That's what we're gonna sell anyways lol.

I'm selling my bed extender/cooler holder

75 bucks
Comes with 1 new ratchet strap
1 new bung net.

Can't beat the price. Message me for payment options

Reactions: K3L and CashMoney

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!