Best choice for sporting clays.

R

rockett0

May 8, 2021
Denver
Looking for opinions on which model for sporting clays.

Is the 700-4 perfect, would a 1000-5 be better suited? 520 makes more sense?

If so why?

Did any of you buy for sporting clays and later change models?

I have a deposit down on a unit in stock, but may move the deposit if there is a clear choice for fit for purpose.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Smitty335 and TxDoc
Haldog77

Haldog77

NTC's Mafia Enforcer
Lifetime Member
Sep 30, 2019
Bossier City, Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I would think the 520 would work. If I understand, the 520 has a bed where the 500 does not. I would think a 1000 or 700 would be more money for a bigger engine that you wouldn't need to haul guns and clays.

#NTC

Reactions: Smitty335
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I shoot clays. I have a p1 and the clay machine is fairly big and the mechanism is big in its motion as well. It just fits nice in the bed of the p1 with SOME room for the pigions. The others would be too small in the end imo

R

rockett0

May 8, 2021
Denver
I'm going to use it when I shoot at tournaments...

I'll likely want to add the

- suregrip gun rack.
- Front mesh rack for holding flats of shells
- room for a small cooler in the back
- windshield and roof

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Sounds dangerous. You’ll shoot your eye out. 🧑‍🎤

I honestly think the 520 would be best. Smaller machine for running around at a course. All 3 would work, but I think the width of the 520 will be nicer.

G

Gunsite Guy

Apr 19, 2021
Trinidad, Co
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
I selected the P500 last year to replace my lifted EZGO, which replaced a kawa teryx. This before I heard anything about the P520. I had been traveling approx 11,000 miles year (pre-wuflu) to tournaments towing my Toy Hauler with cart on board. The Teryx weighed in about 1600 lbs as did my Polaris. The EZGO was 900. Through this process of different vehicles I got a bigger TH and eventually a bigger truck. The major tournaments were beating that EZGO to pieces. The out of the box P500 weighed in at 1025 lbs and is 50" wide and I think 9' long. Anyhow it takes up less space than the EZGO.

I find that the P500 and for sure the P520 are near perfect. With a few additions they are perfect for 1 or 2 shooters. I find the "tray" for the P500 ideal and have little use for a dump bed in any of the previous rigs or with my new 2021 P1000-3. The other changes in the P500 to P520 I can't comment on.

I am under the impression the tires on the P520 are not like the OEM on the P500. One course I shot at in Utah had me driving about 3 miles each way on pavement at 35mph. that seriously scrubbed some tread.

I put a basket on the front, flip-up windshield, Honda roof, seat covers, fabric upper doors and back cover. I also modified a Great Days gun rack to meet the NSCA requirements for vertical mounting. Also 8 ply tires on 27" alloy wheels. See attache photo.

Let me know if I can help. I might add that 2 of my shooting buddies are awaiting either machine. Whatever the dealer gets in first.

s/f Steve
IMG 0867

R

rockett0

May 8, 2021
Denver
Let me know if I can help. I might add that 2 of my shooting buddies are awaiting either machine. Whatever the dealer gets in first.

s/f SteveView attachment 270605

Gunsite guy..

I had a polaris diesel crew... to big and loud. When I rent golf carts like at the west regional, I find them not fit for purpose.

I have a p7-4 that is mine if I want it on tuesday...Small concern about how tall it is, and fitting cargo trailer for local shoots or a toy hauler for out of state.

I might join the list your buddies are on and wait for a 520. Taking my trailer to the dealer on Tuesday to check fit and gauge what a roof will add.

G

Gunsite Guy

Apr 19, 2021
Trinidad, Co
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
I shot BA and AZ state in March but had to cancel out of regional, Utah state, and the Kruger Cup due to injuries and eventual surgery. My shooting season is shot, hoping for July. I did have this rig for 2020 western regional and Nationals.

I can find no flaws with the P500/520.

s/f Steve

Bisley

Bisley

Apr 14, 2021
West Covina, CA
Ownership

1. 500
I'm 6' and 3bills, was worried about the P520 fitting myself, let alone another with me. After looking at everything else I realized I may as well but a smaller truck as they are the same size. I went with the P520 and don't regret a second of it. We fit fine as long as we aren't riding 12 hours straight. And the smaller size is absolutely ideal. You can always drop the tailgate and make/buy a bed extender that hooks to the tow hitch if needed, but you can NEVER make a larger machine smaller, ever. This is my temporary mount with the cases, but not the mounts, from the ATV's until I figure out exactly how I want to do it. Still lots of room, and we can both access them from our respective sides.

IMG 20210509 153208712

R

rockett0

May 8, 2021
Denver
I bought a 700.

My shooting partner and I were a bit to cozy on a 520.

Now I need to source a good front mesh basket and convert/ mount my sure grip to the back bed.

And cup holders

G

Gunsite Guy

Apr 19, 2021
Trinidad, Co
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
rockett0

I bought my front rack/basket for the 500 from UTVHQ. Price was $220 + $35.00 shipping. It is perfect for ammo and the like. The drawback is it must be removed to open and get under hood. I've done it twice, no big deal. I have shopped around for one for the P1000, no joy. Since you are Colorado, I know a guy in Durango, who shoots around the state, almost always at Del Monte, who will custom make one. No other ideas for the P700.

As far as cup holders, what the heck was Honda thinking!!! I saw something elsewhere on hondasxs.com. they were marine grade and available on amazon. They were unavailable when last I looked.

s/f Steve

Bisley

Bisley

Apr 14, 2021
West Covina, CA
Ownership

1. 500
As far as cup holders, what the heck was Honda thinking!!! I saw something elsewhere on hondasxs.com. they were marine grade and available on amazon. They were unavailable when last I looked.

s/f Steve

Crossroads 3D cup holders. Maybe not the cheapest option, but offers two things that make them so worth it. One is that it takes only minutes to install. Two is that it looks like Honda put them there, not Backyard Bubba.

R

rockett0

May 8, 2021
Denver
rockett0

I bought my front rack/basket for the 500 from UTVHQ. Price was $220 + $35.00 shipping. It is perfect for ammo and the like. The drawback is it must be removed to open and get under hood. I've done it twice, no big deal. I have shopped around for one for the P1000, no joy. Since you are Colorado, I know a guy in Durango, who shoots around the state, almost always at Del Monte, who will custom make one. No other ideas for the P700.

s/f Steve
I'll take your guy in Durango info...

Looks like some are available for the 700.

Shooting the kansas fitasc this week, I'll see if there are any pioneers there to check out

In Colorado, I only of two people that ride pioneers. Dr M. And a group from the western slope.

G

Gunsite Guy

Apr 19, 2021
Trinidad, Co
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
My buddy name is Joe Crossno, 1-970-749-1782. Tell him Steve Slawson from Trinidad referred him to you. Jim and Deb N (Glenwood Springs) have been using a P1000-5 for a few years now. His Nephew Jason also uses one. We generally hit all he big shoots, not too many Front Range. They shot the 626. We shot AZ State but I had to cancel out on the regional, Utah State, the Open and the Kruger Classic, everything until at least July. I tore my bicep off the bone in Feb but like a true Marine, tried to shoot anyhow. I had the surgery last month and rehab could be longer than I had hoped.

Bruce and Deb J are in line to get the next P520 from R&D Honda in Raton, NM. If you start leaning towards a Honda, call Blane & 1-575-445-8382. Drop my name. Ask him what he will charge you for any of the machines. See what you think.

I usually shoot every tournament at Flint Oak. I find that the best course I have shot. I am totally bummed I am missing so much.

We need to keep in touch in order to meet up at a tournament.

s/f Steve

G

Gunsite Guy

Apr 19, 2021
Trinidad, Co
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
I'm so envious! I have shot that tournament in the past. There is no place that will make you appreciate an UTV more than Flint Oaks. Not even the Nationals. Shoot good!

s/f Steve

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!