Best / Fastest way to cut 1.5” double foil faced foam insulation board?

NorthernJoe

NorthernJoe

Feb 10, 2021
Northern Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Unfortunately I don’t have any of that and the closest thing to a dust collector I have is a gas powered leaf blower that has a suction intake lol.

If I had a table saw that I’d try this type of blade..
Bullet Tools - CC52-1507 7.25 in. CenterFire Dust Free Foam Blade for cutting EPS, XPS & Poly-ISO insulation
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KM0RLUU?tag=sxsweb24-20

they don’t make a 10” that I can see otherwise I’d use it in my radial arm saw.
With the money you saved on the insulation you could buy a “dust deputy” and use a shop vac. The foam will grab on a course blade. I would use a 60 tooth blade at minimum, 80 would be my first choice

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I'd think a band saw would be less of a mess than a table saw.

Why not just score the foil side and snap them on a straight surface like sheetrock or pink foam board?

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
You'd have to score it pretty deep to get a clean break.

Reactions: ChadD and Vikes79
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
I might give this a try with my cordless jigsaw, especially notching around boxes etc.

BOSCH T313AW3 3-Piece 6 In. Knife Edge Special for Soft Materials T-Shank Jig Saw Blades
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001J0U1HC?tag=sxsweb24-20
Holy smokes these blades are awesome in a cordless variable speed jig saw.

I grabbed some scraps and the cut is clean and sharp. Even on the lowest setting you really can push the saw.

3” stacked cut no problem.
IMG 7062
IMG 7063

The blades are sharp! There is dust but nothing like a table saw would generate.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Holy smokes these blades are awesome in a cordless variable speed jig saw.

I grabbed some scraps and the cut is clean and sharp. Even on the lowest setting you really can push the saw.

3” stacked cut no problem. View attachment 447794View attachment 447795
Make a quick jig to mount the the jig-saw upside down and use it as a makeshift table saw instead..... 👍

advertisement
JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
That, or...... I've ripped that stuff before with old used OSB blades mounted backwards on the table saw. Wheeeey less dust and you can just hook up a shop vac to the end of the saw. Helps tremendously

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm probably going to be doing this tomorrow. I plan to snap lines and cut it with the circular saw with blade put in backward. Any other way is going to be too slow for me. I'll let you know how bad it sucked. 🤦‍♂️
🤞🏻it works quickly and isn’t too bad on the insulation dust side of things.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That, or...... I've ripped that stuff before with old used OSB blades mounted backwards on the table saw. Wheeeey less dust and you can just hook up a shop vac to the end of the saw. Helps tremendously
Just wear one of your old covid mask. Do they have a vaccine for dust yet?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Didn't get a whole lot of the insulation in today. It's stuff I have on hand stored under the lean to with a bunch of crap in front of it so I spent some time just getting to it. The stuff I have is 2" Poly Iso foiled on both sides. It's not as grainy as the blue or pink ridged and hardly made any mess cutting it with the blade backward in the saw. Just clamp a straight edge and go. No burn either, it's pretty soft material. I'm cutting it outside on the horses so I don't need the vacuum and mask and all that. No pics yet but I'll get some.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
Didn't get a whole lot of the insulation in today. It's stuff I have on hand stored under the lean to with a bunch of crap in front of it so I spent some time just getting to it. The stuff I have is 2" Poly Iso foiled on both sides. It's not as grainy as the blue or pink ridged and hardly made any mess cutting it with the blade backward in the saw. Just clamp a straight edge and go. No burn either, it's pretty soft material. I'm cutting it outside on the horses so I don't need the vacuum and mask and all that. No pics yet but I'll get some.
I almost got the last trailer unloaded this afternoon after work.

I was looking at my radial arm saw and thinking the same thing…it’s worth trying out the blade backwards as I have a ton to cut. I’ll do it outside too .

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!