Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Seeing as you some of you guys went there recently, I was wondering what your take on tires for there were, I'm heading there Oct 8, I've got 26" bighorn 2.0 's on it now and just picked up a set of 27" zillas for backup. Seeing as the zillas are taller and more aggressive would you run those? Or are they a bone to be chewed out there. I don't plan on the black diamond trails if I can help it. Thanks.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Having driven a lot of rocky trails I think your "zillas" will get chewed up at Windrock mainly because of the openness of the tread block it will allow the sharp rocks to cut on them more so that say your Bighorn 2.0 which should be fine. Purely for rock especially sharp rocks the 8 ply radials with tough sidewalls is the ticket. For that purpose I run Roctane XD's they don't seem to be too popular East of the Mississippi River but I have had great luck with them in all types of trails terrain.

Reactions: Plumber32
scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
Running the big horns should be fine, but that extra clearance of the 27" zilla will be good at windrock, and the zilla's should be fine there too. Just so rocky and if you don't have a full skid plate your undercarriage is going to get beat up. I would probably run the zilla's and take the big horn for spares if you don't have a lift or full skid. The zilla is more for mud but weighing the options i would rather have that little extra clearance. It's not like the zilla's are going to suck.

Last edited:
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Running the big horns should be fine, but that extra clearance of the 27" zilla will be good at windrock, and the zilla's should be fine there. Just so rocky and if you don't have a full skid plate your undercarriage is going to get beat up. I would probably run the zilla's and take the big horn for spares if you don't have a lift or full skid. The zilla is more for mud but weighing the options i would rather have that little extra clearance. It's not like the zilla's are going to suck.

X2 I was more concerned with him cutting the new tires, the overall performance should be fine. & UHMW skids are almost a must at places like Windrock, will save the underbelly from getting the bejesus beat out of it.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yea I was looking at that skid plate but $700 is a tough pill to swallow for one trip.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
On the other hand if I crank the snot ot of these walker evans shocks I can get almost 16" to the rear skid but the ride would be awful

Reactions: bobbyhill
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Yea I was looking at that skid plate but $700 is a tough pill to swallow for one trip.

They are just as effective sliding over trees, ruts, etc, not just the rocks. The slick UHMW material can aid in not getting high centered if you have a little momentum going over objects. Not to mention the added floorboard protection you currently do not have. Check out Post #44 on here for a before and after view on a P500: P500 - Jackal's P500 | Page 3 | The Honda Side by Side Club!

Reactions: ohanacreek
scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
It's worth the money. Can you do ok without it at windrock? Yes. I didn't have a full skid... I would crank them shocks up to almost that full level tho. If you stay on the medium to easy trails you'll be good. I love windrock you will enjoy it. Don't worry to much about it all and just have fun. Fix stuff when you get home.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They are just as effective sliding over trees, ruts, etc, not just the rocks. The slick UHMW material can aid in not getting high centered if you have a little momentum going over objects. Not to mention the added floorboard protection you currently do not have. Check out Post #44 on here for a before and after view on a P500: P500 - Jackal's P500 | Page 3 | The Honda Side by Side Club!
the trails in Wisconsin have never needed me to use that 4wd lever. And I very rarely hit the underside. Except when I run over snow banks trying to get stuck ( haven't yet ) the skid is on my to do list. Running out of things to do to the pioneer, soft doors are on my radar though.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!