BOX1

Best traction and heavy sidewall protection tire?

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
So it's time for new tires. Riding in KY and WV I have punctured sidewalls. I like the traction of a Bighorn, but not the lack of durability. I want to go 10 ply radial with the best sidewall available. The weight of the tire is of no concern for me. I am going to stick with the stock wheels and tire size unless there is a really good reason to change the tire size. Looking at the GBC Kanti Mondrel Radial. But please let me know any input from folks who are running a tire like I am looking for.
Thanks!!

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I like the look of the Mongrel. I think it's RMATV that did a video on their top 5 sellers, the Mongrel was #1. The only thing that stopped me was that the 30" were out of stock until October and I couldn't wait that long (late August).

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
I've beat the living hell out of the ITP Ultracross R Spec tires I have on my Teryx 800. They have really tough sidewalls and I've only managed to cut one. I can't say the same for the stock Talon tires or the Tusk Terrrabites I now have.
I'm not sure if the ITP's come in the stock size but the set I have is 29x10x15, so it's pretty close to the stock Talon size.

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
Thanks for the input from all. I have the Kenda bear claws on my Teryx. Super mean tires, will tear up the yard without even trying. I am looking at the efx motoclaw tires. They are listed as one of the toughest tires on the market. Now that might be toughest on the wallet! Looking at about $750-$790 for a set!!! Not sure that is worth it.
The Mongrel and the aramid look a lot a like. Still thinking. But I have to get them on order today. Leaving on the 27th for WV.

GreenTX1000R

GreenTX1000R

May 10, 2020
Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Just bought a set of GBC Mongrel from discount tire $ 695 installed and balanced 30x10x15. They seem tuff I also wanted very tough and puncture resistant Tire.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
LT tires for pickup trucks

I like the Cooper Discover STT Pro's myself.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
This is available in 31x10x15.....Milestar Patagonia...LT

A25E4F00 6352 4301 89DC C0853C05EE8D

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
Finding a stock size tire in 15" rim was difficult. EFX Motoclaw makes them, and I could get them delivered this week, so I went with those. I'll have them put on Friday-Saturday. Riding Sunday night and Mon-Tuesday. I'll post a review once I put some miles on them.

Reactions: FOOTS
R

rickoshea

How’s that tire clean out from snow?
don't know.but is any utv tire great in snow? acceptable is probably all we can hope for.i only mentioned it because the op wants sidewall strength,and from my research,aramid is the way to go.unless you want to spring for tracks.

Reactions: Montecresto
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
don't know.but is any utv tire great in snow? acceptable is probably all we can hope for.i only mentioned it because the op wants sidewall strength,and from my research,aramid is the way to go.unless you want to spring for tracks.
I don’t know if op is concerned about snow. I’m curious for myself, and figured you would have snow experience up there. I’m beginning to think I can’t ride in snow...😡

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Finding a stock size tire in 15" rim was difficult. EFX Motoclaw makes them, and I could get them delivered this week, so I went with those. I'll have them put on Friday-Saturday. Riding Sunday night and Mon-Tuesday. I'll post a review once I put some miles on them.
What ply rating are they. The tread pattern looks like they could clean out from mud/snow better than many others?

R

rickoshea

I don’t know if op is concerned about snow. I’m curious for myself, and figured you would have snow experience up there. I’m beginning to think I can’t ride in snow...😡
yup.once it gets to around 20 cm the tracks will go on.tried to trail late last winter with the bighorns in around 30 cm of wet snow.epic fail.tracks are the way to go.i had a friggin' blast last winter.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
yup.once it gets to around 20 cm the tracks will go on.tried to trail late last winter with the bighorns in around 30 cm of wet snow.epic fail.tracks are the way to go.i had a friggin' blast last winter.
That’s cool. I can’t go tracks down here, not enough snow all winter. 6-12” on the ground for a few days or a week then no snow for a few days or a week and repeat. 😡

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Those are BA!!! Good luck, I hope you really like them, it’s a hell of a lot of money to spend and be dissatisfied with....🤞

Reactions: PhilCod
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!