Best traction and heavy sidewall protection tire?

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
I can see those cleaning out!!! Do the stock wheels have to be changed? Btw, beautiful pics....😎

14’s or 18’s required.

No 15’s available.

However if you are worried about sidewall strength at all then beadlocks are more important than tire choice anyway.

Run low pressure and the carcass flexes around things at low speed.

Run medium pressure for high speed and the beadlock keeps the rim from breaking at side impact.

8 ply minimum.

Radial tires do not have good sidewall strength as a general rule. (Example 10 ply tread and 4 ply sidewall) = kanati mongrel

More sidewall holds up better than less for side impacts on rocks. 14’s > 15’s

Just some random experiences talking.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
14’s or 18’s required.

No 15’s available.

However if you are worried about sidewall strength at all then beadlocks are more important than tire choice anyway.

Run low pressure and the carcass flexes around things at low speed.

Run medium pressure for high speed and the beadlock keeps the rim from breaking at side impact.

8 ply minimum.

Radial tires do not have good sidewall strength as a general rule. (Example 10 ply tread and 4 ply sidewall) = kanati mongrel

More sidewall holds up better than less for side impacts on rocks. 14’s > 15’s

Just some random experiences talking.
Wow, good info, thanks. I know I don’t want to replace my wheels. But going to 31’s will increase my sidewall. Just need to land on a strong tire that won’t be too rough on hardpack and asphalt. Probably going to largely stay out of the mountains when there’s snow.

Reactions: Isaiah and Mudwing
Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Wow, good info, thanks. I know I don’t want to replace my wheels. But going to 31’s will increase my sidewall. Just need to land on a strong tire that won’t be too rough on hardpack and asphalt. Probably going to largely stay out of the mountains when there’s snow.

They have these in 30’s.

(System 3 tires are true to size)

Those tires above are similar in looks to carnivores but 3-4 times tougher.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Reactions: Isaiah
FOOTS

FOOTS

Jan 30, 2020
North Carolina
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Finding a stock size tire in 15" rim was difficult. EFX Motoclaw makes them, and I could get them delivered this week, so I went with those. I'll have them put on Friday-Saturday. Riding Sunday night and Mon-Tuesday. I'll post a review once I put some miles on them.

Can you post how they compare beside the stock tires? I know they are labeled the same size but I’m wondering if the Motoclaws are actually taller or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Those are certainly BA tires, sucks they don’t have 31’s. Where’s the price list on them?
They are 30.1” 😂😂

Check any local tucker rocky distributor.

Im sure my Alaska pricing would be higher than in the Lower 48.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Finding a stock size tire in 15" rim was difficult. EFX Motoclaw makes them, and I could get them delivered this week, so I went with those. I'll have them put on Friday-Saturday. Riding Sunday night and Mon-Tuesday. I'll post a review once I put some miles on them.
So you went with the same size tire on all four corners on stock rims?

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
So you went with the same size tire on all four corners on stock rims?

I did on my last tire setup. 30" on all 4 corners on stock wheels. I had no complaints with that setup but I wanted to go to a 32" tire on beadlocks so I switched. My 32's are a light 10 ply 32 (39lbs and 56.5lbs combined on my System 3 beadlocks +38 offset). I have the Kanati Terra Masters and I really like them so far. I ride Tennessee, West Virginia, etc trails mostly. These have been the best all-around tire I have used to date!! They rip. My cousin did the same wheel tire combo as me he has the same thoughts. I hit whatever is considered the toughest trails at the parks so they take a beating and need to grip for me. Power becomes actually noticeable at above 50mph. Not saying its terrible but it is noticeable and I love power!) I stay in high quit a bit a still and it does fine. Low will climb anything in front of it. I have never not had the power needed to make a climb....ever. But just like in a jeep you do need to pick the right gear for the climb and on the Talon the revlimiter is your friend!! The Terra Masters are not a true 32" tire. Mine are more 31.5ish. They do make a 31x10x15 also.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I did on my last tire setup. 30" on all 4 corners on stock wheels. I had no complaints with that setup but I wanted to go to a 32" tire on beadlocks so I switched.
Gotcha, I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t going to have any troubles doing so myself. Would I need some spacers on the rear to keep things equal width? Thanks for the info...😊

Otherwise, I’m riding mostly the steep Rockies at elevations 7-11K and cannot go 32’s without IGR. Hoping I don’t hurt myself with the 30’s I just ordered. 🤞

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Gotcha, I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t going to have any troubles doing so myself. Would I need some spacers on the rear to keep things equal width? Thanks for the info...😊

Otherwise, I’m riding mostly the steep Rockies at elevations 7-11K and cannot go 32’s without IGR. Hoping I don’t hurt myself with the 30’s I just ordered. 🤞

Yeah elevation definitely sucks the power more yet!! I don't have any real elevation riding yet with my Talon but I have been in elevations with a jeep and know the power loss situation you are up against. I run 1.5" spacers in the rear to even out the track. I am not a spacer fan but in the rear there is a lot less abuse on that than in the front. The rear is like 3.1 or 3.2 inches (can't remember exactly) narrower than the front. 1.5 is gtg! With the +38 offset I am around 66.5-67 inches wide. The width feels good and it handles great!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yeah elevation definitely sucks the power more yet!! I don't have any real elevation riding yet with my Talon but I have been in elevations with a jeep and know the power loss situation you are up against. I run 1.5" spacers in the rear to even out the track. I am not a spacer fan but in the rear there is a lot less abuse on that than in the front. The rear is like 3.1 or 3.2 inches (can't remember exactly) narrower than the front. 1.5 is gtg! With the +38 offset I am around 66.5-67 inches wide. The width feels good and it handles great!
Sounds like a nice set up for low elevation.

So are you saying that if I keep stock wheels and run 10’s all four corners I’ll be 3” narrower in the back.....😳

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Sounds like a nice set up for low elevation.

So are you saying that if I keep stock wheels and run 10’s all four corners I’ll be 3” narrower in the back.....😳

No. The stock rear wheels have a different offset than the front wheels making them track evenly. With stock wheels you will end up being slightly wider in the front (because a 10-in wide tire is wider than the stock tire) and slightly narrower in the rear (because a 10-in wide tire in the rear is slightly narrower than the stock tire) with matching 10-in wide tires at all four corners. If you put matching size tires on 4 front talon wheels. Then added 1.5 spacers to the rear you would be even front to rear. There is a guy here running that setup. Basically front width hub to hub is 3 inches wider than the rear measurement hub the hub. And that difference is the same between the X and the R.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
No. The stock rear wheels have a different offset than the front wheels making them track evenly. With stock wheels you will end up being slightly wider in the front (because a 10-in wide tire is wider than the stock tire) and slightly narrower in the rear (because a 10-in wide tire in the rear is slightly narrower than the stock tire) with matching 10-in wide tires at all four corners. If you put matching size tires on 4 front talon wheels. Then added 1.5 spacers to the rear you would be even front to rear. There is a guy here running that setup. Basically front width hub to hub is 3 inches wider than the rear measurement hub the hub. And that difference is the same between the X and the R.
Oh I gotcha now. Thanks for explaining that....😊

Reactions: Isaiah and Hometeam
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

They have these in 30’s.

(System 3 tires are true to size)

Those tires above are similar in looks to carnivores but 3-4 times tougher.
On your recommendation I purchased these tires in the 30x10x15

$664.00 OTD

they look like exceptional tires. Look good on the Talon and I really like the beaded wheel protection.

I’ll get some seat time next weekend.

DAFEC563 52F0 4847 930C C940D2637C6A
CDA211B3 90B5 45DE 8006 B6D0C7F94435

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4

$664.00 OTD

they look like exceptional tires. Look good on the Talon and I really like the beaded wheel protection.

View attachment 228085View attachment 228086

Nice!

They are really tough tires.

I just spoke to a local guy with 2000 miles of rough shale rocky riding on his.

No punctures or issues.

He’s running 10 psi with beadlocks.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

$664.00 OTD

View attachment 228085View attachment 228086
Have you been out since the new tires, they look good. When I started running 30's on our P1, I didn't notice much power loss and you?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Have you been out since the new tires, they look good. When I started running 30's on our P1, I didn't notice much power loss and you?
Yeah, that’s because you’re riding at less than 1000’ elevation....

Yes, at 8K plus it is noticeable. I’m hoping IGR will remedy that.....

I put about 10 miles on it and am pleased with the improved traction and clearance however....

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!