BOX1

Best trail riding in your state

like2be

like2be

Sep 26, 2019
Socal
Ownership

1. Talon R
:cool: Hello everybody, I'm planning a cross country trip round trip in June that will start in So. Calif and ending in north eastern Georgia. I'll have extra time along the way to make a few stops to drive my Talon but I have no clue where to find the scenic spots. I'm mostly interested in intermediate trail riding as opposed to any serious rock and mountain climbing etc., cause I'll be riding alone and I'm not as sturdy as I used to be. If you might have a favorite place that fits this description pplease share any details. Your advise would be greatly appreciated.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Stony Lonesome, Cullman, AL
Chocoloco Mt, Oxford, AL
Both of these are on Avenza Maps

There’s a new one over toward Piedmont, AL but haven’t been there yet.

south Alabama is mostly mud holes

Prentice Cooper, Chattanooga, TN
Bryant’s Cove/Coalmont, Coalmont, T

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Your route and how far off that route you will go would be handy. Also, be aware that some states do NOT accept other states OHV permits or even Street Legal plates. You should check each state you want to visit to make sure you don't need anything extra.

Utah has MANY thousands of miles of trails...
Sand Hollow in the South end of the state. More rock crawling (level 3 to 10) but most of them have bypasses for the real difficult stuff and there are plenty of trails and the scenery is absolutely breathtaking. Well documented on Avenza Maps.
Moab in central Southern part of the state. Again, mostly rock crawling but many trails and great scenery. Despite the name, Hells Revenge isn't too difficult and the more difficult parts have bypasses. The view at the end is spectacular!

There are thousands of miles in Utah, here is a pretty good review if some of them...

Enigma

Enigma

East Tennessee Mudder
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2020
Rocky Top
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Love Wind Rock. Plenty of various types (difficulty) of trails and some very nice people in the general store to help out.

Ken

Reactions: Backwoods
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Your route and how far off that route you will go would be handy. Also, be aware that some states do NOT accept other states OHV permits or even Street Legal plates. You should check each state you want to visit to make sure you don't need anything extra.

Utah has MANY thousands of miles of trails...
Sand Hollow in the South end of the state. More rock crawling (level 3 to 10) but most of them have bypasses for the real difficult stuff and there are plenty of trails and the scenery is absolutely breathtaking. Well documented on Avenza Maps.
Moab in central Southern part of the state. Again, mostly rock crawling but many trails and great scenery. Despite the name, Hells Revenge isn't too difficult and the more difficult parts have bypasses. The view at the end is spectacular!

There are thousands of miles in Utah, here is a pretty good review if some of them...
Some states dont require OHV permits.

Reactions: Backwoods
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Some states dont require OHV permits.
That may be true but most of them do. And as of 1/1/2020, Utah no longer accepts out of state permits or plates so you must get a Non-Resident OHV permit regardless if you machine is permitted or licensed in another state.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That may be true but most of them do. And as of 1/1/2020, Utah no longer accepts out of state permits or plates so you must get a Non-Resident OHV permit regardless if you machine is permitted or licensed in another state.
Not sure about MOST. I have only ridden in La., Ark, Mo, and TN, without permit in any of them.

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
you can't ride in them, but Utah also has Arches and Canyonlands (Moab) plus Zion (by Hurrricane) that are great to just drive thru and look. There are guided tours out of Mt. Carmel at east end of Zion plus couple places in Moab do them too. Both areas have great trail maps and even books & GPS routes.

You are getting at start of HOT weather in both of them so early day riding is a must.

There is also a great 78-mile trail loop at Silverton, Colorado (Alpine Loop) that will just be opening up about then from snow. Again good maps. Like Moab, town is tourist trap with lots of car people in area.

Reactions: IDIOT
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Not sure about MOST. I have only ridden in La., Ark, Mo, and TN, without permit in any of them.
Of the states you listed that you ride in, LA and TN do not require some sort of ATV/UTV registration or permit. Both AK and MO require them.

Riding without a permit and not getting caught does not mean permits/licensed are not required.

As of 2017, 36 of the 50 states (that to me would constitute "most") require some sort of licensing for off road vehicles. Some reciprocate with other states and others do not and require some sort of non-resident permit.

Jdtc

Jdtc

Dec 14, 2019
Chamberlain SD
Ownership

1. 1000-3
:cool: Hello everybody, I'm planning a cross country trip round trip in June that will start in So. Calif and ending in north eastern Georgia. I'll have extra time along the way to make a few stops to drive my Talon but I have no clue where to find the scenic spots. I'm mostly interested in intermediate trail riding as opposed to any serious rock and mountain climbing etc., cause I'll be riding alone and I'm not as sturdy as I used to be. If you might have a favorite place that fits this description pplease share any details. Your advise would be greatly appreciated.
The Black Hills. South Dakota

Reactions: russknight
Wallace

Wallace

Well that didn't go as planned
Lifetime Member
Jun 28, 2017
Lonoke Arkansas
Ownership

1. 500
Of the states you listed that you ride in, LA and TN do not require some sort of ATV/UTV registration or permit. Both AK and MO require them.

Riding without a permit and not getting caught does not mean permits/licensed are not required.

As of 2017, 36 of the 50 states (that to me would constitute "most") require some sort of licensing for off road vehicles. Some reciprocate with other states and others do not and require some sort of non-resident permit.
Not sure about AK but AR requires only residents have registration to use national forests.

Reactions: BigOL3
like2be

like2be

Sep 26, 2019
Socal
Ownership

1. Talon R
Great advice so far, thanks! Let's keep it going.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5

LOL ..... you can bet your last $$ I will not pay that sale tax to ride OFF ROAD in any state. In Mo. I paid the fee to ride at SMORR and the cheap county fee at Cassville, but to register it with the state in Mo or Ark or any where else ....... No.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon x4

alaska requires a $10 for 2 years registration for snowmobiles in state parks.

there is exactly one state park location that allows motorized access in the summer. (A dorky trail around a lake) the only way to ride there is by getting snowmobile registration on your atv

everywhere else is “public” land with no registration required.

I think I have seen one atv with registration stickers in the 25years I’ve been riding around alaska.

Going out on a limb here but alaska might as well not have anything.

Reactions: IDIOT
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!