Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Pretty much endless riding in every direction around here.
1FEE7997 206F 49D4 A77F 33A28715A7AA
D31EDB83 6622 458A 860C 6301A34D457B
C1C14451 74DB 49D0 997A B0A6A24A14AA
D5FEDFCB E65A 4861 8D2E 669454C015D3
6EA847FF 604C 4AC1 95C3 AD3C4A453F1E

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
if passing through Arkansas.

I wrote these out previously and based the timing on travel from Joplin to give an idea of travel time.

Buckhorn
  • Little over 2hours from Joplin - by Devils den -
  • Great trail system, generally rocky trails, only trail system growing in area
  • $3 a day to ride
  • join their Buckhorn OHV page on FB for lots of information and to download a map
Mulberry/Millcreek
  • about 2.5 hours from Joplin -
  • Trail system
  • $3 a day to ride
Rush Springs Ranch
  • About an hour from Joplin
  • Bunch of short trails that all connect. Ranch is set up that you really don't need a map as they all dump out into a similar area
  • Lots of challenge areas and trails - guaranteed to have something you cant do no matter what you bring
  • Can catch and release in the ponds there - literally gives my kid the wrong impression of fishing because it is so easy
  • $30 a day (rates have been changing so not sure)
Disney OHV park
  • A little over an hour from Joplin
  • Lots of trails and challenge areas - part of park is set up below dam with that area providing a rock garden so to speak area
  • $5 to park at Hogans Off road park
  • Plenty of challenge areas
SMORR
  • About 2 hours from Joplin
  • Great park - clean, well marked trails and family friendly. Trails there from cruising around to nope I am not going to do that.
  • Most of the trails are really short
Buffalo Wilderness Ranch this place matches up well with what you are looking for
  • located near Kinston, AR
    Scenic trail system with wildlife
  • family friendly
  • a little costly

Reactions: Enigma and Landman
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
alaska requires a $10 for 2 years registration for snowmobiles in state parks.

there is exactly one state park location that allows motorized access in the summer. (A dorky trail around a lake) the only way to ride there is by getting snowmobile registration on your atv

everywhere else is “public” land with no registration required.

I think I have seen one atv with registration stickers in the 25years I’ve been riding around alaska.

Going out on a limb here but alaska might as well not have anything.
Sorry, I don't know my "A" states. I meant Arkansas, not Alaska (I think that was supposed to be AR, not AK).

Utah is the exact opposite of Alaska. Not expensive to get an off road tag ($35 for off road or $65 for street legal) but if you get caught here without some sort of tag, the machine can get impounded. Especially in places like Moab where the cops make a fortune on out of state idiots that try to shirk the law.

Utah puts a lot of the registration money (85%) back into the trail systems. We have a LOT of really nice places to ride in this state and most of it (except for the Federal Land) is managed very well.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Sorry, I don't know my "A" states. I meant Arkansas, not Alaska (I think that was supposed to be AR, not AK).

Utah is the exact opposite of Alaska. Not expensive to get an off road tag ($35 for off road or $65 for street legal) but if you get caught here without some sort of tag, the machine can get impounded. Especially in places like Moab where the cops make a fortune on out of state idiots that try to shirk the law.

Utah puts a lot of the registration money (85%) back into the trail systems. We have a LOT of really nice places to ride in this state and most of it (except for the Federal Land) is managed very well.

I am planning to come to Utah this fall or next year. It sounds like I should get both tags if plan on riding my sxs around on the roads from trails to trails? Or does it not work like that in Utah? When I go to Tennessee I basically park my truck and drive my sxs for everything while I'm there. I have a buddy that lives outside Salt Lake City that I was going to see. I have mountain biked in Utah but not road sxs. Are there good trail systems for sxs close to that area? Thanks.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
:cool: Hello everybody, I'm planning a cross country trip round trip in June that will start in So. Calif and ending in north eastern Georgia. I'll have extra time along the way to make a few stops to drive my Talon but I have no clue where to find the scenic spots. I'm mostly interested in intermediate trail riding as opposed to any serious rock and mountain climbing etc., cause I'll be riding alone and I'm not as sturdy as I used to be. If you might have a favorite place that fits this description pplease share any details. Your advise would be greatly appreciated.
If you come to Wisconsin you should definitely hit up Hurley. Woods, creeks, and ride right up to lake Superior and walk the beach.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I am planning to come to Utah this fall or next year. It sounds like I should get both tags if plan on riding my sxs around on the roads from trails to trails? Or does it not work like that in Utah? When I go to Tennessee I basically park my truck and drive my sxs for everything while I'm there. I have a buddy that lives outside Salt Lake City that I was going to see. I have mountain biked in Utah but not road sxs. Are there good trail systems for sxs close to that area? Thanks.
Let me check for you. Utah used to accept many out of state off road and street legal tags but as of 1/1/2020 Utah stopped accepting them and make you get a non resident tag now. They stopped because all the surrounding states stopped (sounds like a pissing match between the western states).

Not sure about street legal but I think they stopped allowing them too but let me check for you.

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
Please post about the street legal rules (or changes). I knew they had changed the non-resident sticker (as did Arizona) but had not heard anything about street legal from other states

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Please post about the street legal rules (or changes). I knew they had changed the non-resident sticker (as did Arizona) but had not heard anything about street legal from other states
Yes, Arizona started this BS and Utah followed along like a little child (He hit me first! NO, she hit me first!) :cool: .

Non-Resident OFF Road permits are now required regardless of what state you are coming from.

However, it is not clear about Street Legal machines being used Off Road.

The reason is because Utah Resident Street Plates are double use. The Registration fee pays for both street licensing AND your off road permit so you only need a Utah license plate for both ON and OFF road use here. There are restrictions to ON road such as 50 MPH Max, No divided highway or freeways, etc.

What is not clear and there is information going both ways concerning NON Resident out of state street legal plated vehicles. They should be treated just like any other out of state plated car and allowed on the Highways with the restrictions listed above but even that is unclear. However, there are conflicting information if that gives the out of state plated machine the right to use it OFF road because they have not paid the "off road" portion of the registration that a Utah street legal machine has paid through its registration process.

I think this little blurb in the OHV Law spells it out and is clear as MUD...

-Provisions of this rule shall not apply to off-highway vehicles exempt under 41-22-35(1)(b)(i) or to off-highway vehicles participating in scheduled competitive events sponsored by a public or private entity, or in noncompetitive events sponsored in whole or in part by any governmental entity; or to Street Legal All-terrain Vehicles as defined in 41-6a-102(61), and registered for highway use in a state that offers reciprocal highway operating privileges to Utah residents operating Street Legal All-Terrain vehicles.

You have to know if your state has reciprocity and allows the same privileges as Utah (Street Legal OK for Off Road). If not (that would now exclude Arizona) then NO, your out of state plates are not allowed in Utah.

List of states that reciprocate with Utah is non-existent as far as I can find. I do know that Arizona is NOT on that list anymore.

AND the state parks, BLM, etc have their own rules to boot so they may have more strict rules. Your best bet it to call the DMV and the governing body of the park you wish to visit (Utah State Parks, BLM, etc) and ask them. However, I fear you will get conflicting answers depending on who you talk to and what day you call :)

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
thanks - I am not concerned about having to buy a non-resident trail permit as someone has to pay for the trails. I just want to be legal on the roads so don't have to load and unload between trails. We have to buy non-resident for every state on snowmobiles and places like Minnesota get $52 a year even if you only go there 1 day and it is a seasonal so if you buy in March, it is not good next winter at all,. Most UTV stickers are year from buy date so have a lot more Possible use.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Thanks PaulF, I will make a call before I go. I don't mind paying for the tags just want to be able to drive legally. I have been to Moab MTBing and would love to go back and just drive my sxs around to and from trails that we hit up. Thanks for your help!

Enigma

Enigma

East Tennessee Mudder
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2020
Rocky Top
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Wind Rock in East Tennessee is a lot of fun and well maintained. A lot of folks are now going to LaFollette, TN to ride. It is just north of Knoxville, TN off of I75.

Reactions: Backwoods
Enigma

Enigma

East Tennessee Mudder
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2020
Rocky Top
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
To Sheetmetalfab, great pictures. Thanks for sharing. Looks like a great place to ride.

Reactions: Sheetmetalfab

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!