Best ways to protect your transmission??

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I take care and don't abuse my machines. I have 28 inch tires, no lift, no spacers. Essentially stock.

My 2001 Rubicon and 2004 Rhino were sold in 2020. Rhino had original belt. Rubicon zero problems.

Just routine oil/filter changes and washes and were stock, just winched put, no wild/desperate red line wheel spinning.

Having read about people ruining their transmission in literally a few feet and seconds...

So, if you are going thru deep/sticky mud or pulling someone out, in Fri snow, going uphill, etc , what is the most advantageous thing to do?

Be in manual shift mode and stay in 1st gear?

Is in auto, use performance mode?

What do you do and what do you avoid because you've seen bad results and know not to do those things? What gives the machine the best advantage over the conditions?

Thanks

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Gabbas

Gabbas

May 17, 2020
Humboldt, Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
General rule of thumb, your tires aren't spinning don't give it gas. Always stop before you shift. When in doubt manual mode is your friend. I have a tune on mine. Which guarantees that my clutches will not slip. My engine will die before my clutches slip. I have firmer but smoother shifts. No more hard shifting gears. I also use rotella 5w40 oil and since then my machine has ran quieter and smoother. There's always the "which oil to use" Convo l. This was my personal choice and my results worked out good.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Generally, low range in mud or big hill climbing.

I do still take on some pretty good sized hills in high range, but I'll often go into manual mode, or sometimes sport. Sport is actually quite nice for normal hills, the Pioneer has a propensity to upshift too early otherwise. Some mild mud holes even get run in High, but where it's uncertain, I start in low.

Getting to know your machine and how it fits your riding style is really the key, your motor will tell you what it needs for gears.

But yeah, definitely get off the gas immediately if your tires are stuck, or if you're starting to slip because they're about to be stuck.

You see a lot of reverse gear damage, and that's probably always due to people jamming it into reverse without coming to a full stop and idle. Full stop and idle is my rule for both shifters.

My Pioneer 1000 came with reverse shot and a bad clutch pack at only 2500 miles from improper use by the previous owner. I fixed it, and have put 7k on it with no issues.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Most clutch problems are from people stuck in mud, pushing the gas and looking at the tires and wondering why the are not spinning.

Some are from people using the clutch to hold it on a hill without the tires spinning.

Others are from pulling someone out and letting it lug with out the tires spinning.

Or 35" tires trying to climb something pushing the gas to the floor wondering why the tires are not spinning.

Short to Long..
Gas + no tire spin = burnt clutch.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

advertisement
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Honda's DCT is quite robust and is unlikely to have any issues in normal use whether computer or manually shifted. Causing the clutches to slip by applying throttle when the buggy is unable to move will quickly cause damage.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I read an interesting comment regarding Honda's DCT in HondaProKevin's"blog.

The state3ment claimed Honda has sold more than 200,000 motorcycles with the DCT since 2009.

That's pretty strong!

Any mechanical device can be damaged or destroyed with sufficient abuse but I believe the DCT used as intended with reasonable care will provide many years of good servcice.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!