Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
O ok right on, I gotta figure out if this machine had that update hopefully tommrow after work, between work an kids football practice freaking busy
It is a quick visual inspection. Post #9 in this thread shows what you are looking for.

Reactions: Remington

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
T

To fix or take off my hands, just kidding I really wanted one, figured try to save few bucks an grab one with an issue, so just to figure it out an hopefully have no more than 1-2k more into it
After you get it repaired, you're gonna love it! My 2016 has over 22,000 miles on the original clutches. I've never had the updated clutch cover installed. The original cover and clutch wasn't necessarily a bad design, it's just that in rare cases of operator error, (slipping the clutch instead of winching out of a deep mud hole), the clutches weren't getting enough oil causing them to overheat quickly. With the new cover, this issue is almost unheard of. Don't fret! Once you get it repaired, you'll have a barely broken in P1K for less than $9,000!!! Hope this cheers you up bud!:)

S

s_hammond

Aug 13, 2024
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After you get it repaired, you're gonna love it! My 2016 has over 22,000 miles on the original clutches. I've never had the updated clutch cover installed. The original cover and clutch wasn't necessarily a bad design, it's just that in rare cases of operator error, (slipping the clutch instead of winching out of a deep mud hole), the clutches weren't getting enough oil causing them to overheat quickly. With the new cover, this issue is almost unheard of. Don't fret! Once you get it repaired, you'll have a barely broken in P1K for less than $9,000!!! Hope this cheers you up bud!:)
I greatly appreciate the positivity, an yes I'm hoping to definitely Stay 9k an less already have 400 in new shift motor an angle sensor, but i plan to do all the work myself, on whatever the issue may be

Reactions: 0860silverado
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
If it goes into 1st gear and no movement - the one item is the clutches need to be checked

hi - so if you manually shift it into second- you can drive it down the road and all is good?

if you are in 1st or 3rd - does it just rev up?

or if you manually shift it and lift it up - the wheels turn very slowly - in what gear?

as posted above - there are 2 clutch packs in the beast - generally 1/3/5/R goes first if it is the clutch pack

I cant keep up and am very binary, its either yes or no - lol

I did not, had a busy evening after work, What exactly is the issue with the "clutch cover"?
the updated clutch cover put more cooled oil into the clutch area to cool it down to Prevent overheating and smoking the clutch packs

If wheels are turning , sub transmission is probably all right - just a clutch pack is bad - probably need to go inside to inspect

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Here is the most likely solution to the problem you describe.

S

s_hammond

Aug 13, 2024
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
the updated clutch cover put more cooled oil into the clutch area to cool it down to Prevent overheating and smoking the clutch packs

If wheels are turning , sub transmission is probably all right - just a clutch pack is bad - probably need to go inside to ins

Here is the most likely solution to the problem you describe.

• Haha
S

s_hammond

Aug 13, 2024
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5

20240816 195803

• Wow
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
So there is no bump saying it has the updated clutch cover
Your best option is to then buy the updated cover and both clutch packs, the new cover provides much more oil to keep the clutches from overheating. It can be tricky on reassembly on ensuring no O rings get pinched or out of place, this comes from multiple people who have experienced that having issues after reassembly.

Good luck getting it up and running properly.

Reactions: Remington and CID
advertisement
S

s_hammond

Aug 13, 2024
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Your best option is to then buy the updated cover and both clutch packs, the new cover provides much more oil to keep the clutches from overheating. It can be tricky on reassembly on ensuring no O rings get pinched or out of place, this comes from multiple people who have experienced that having issues after reassembly.

Good luck getting it up and running properly.
Does Anyone happen to know part numbers for the correct clutches? I have read alot about people doing a talon reverse gear on there's as well, do yall think this is nessary for farm riding an occasional poker runs?

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Just look up part numbers for your machine on partzilla, Ron Ayer’s, etc…… Ayer’s usually smokes everyone on prices on Honda oem stuff

For farm riding - just the updated clutch cover and stock clutch packs and u will be more than fine - even poker runs are a non issue - don’t overthink this - u bought a cheap machine with a known issue - some time and money and that will be as good as a new machine

Just don’t do anything dumb like try to pulll immovable objects, if in deep mud, winch out - after all, the beast just has a fibre clutch pack and a clutch is a clutch - power in - no movement out - fried

S

s_hammond

Aug 13, 2024
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just look up part numbers for your machine on partzilla, Ron Ayer’s, etc…… Ayer’s usually smokes everyone on prices on Honda oem stuff

For farm riding - just the updated clutch cover and stock clutch packs and u will be more than fine - even poker runs are a non issue - don’t overthink this - u bought a cheap machine with a known issue - some time and money and that will be as good as a new machine

Just don’t do anything dumb like try to pulll immovable objects, if in deep mud, winch out - after all, the beast just has a fibre clutch pack and a clutch is a clutch - power in - no movement out - fried
Thank you for the respomce ill.look into

Reactions: 0860silverado
S

s_hammond

Aug 13, 2024
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey all back again, found the clutches an other stuff needed to do this job, i want to also do the updated clutch cover does anyone know the part number? dont want to buy one that i already have, thanks in advance.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey all back again, found the clutches an other stuff needed to do this job, i want to also do the updated clutch cover does anyone know the part number? dont want to buy one that i already have, thanks in advance.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5