Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
@Tflynn you bring up some positive points! Have you had problems with it how long have you been? I did hear you have to keep it from sunlight because of the uv is that true? Does the sleeve go far enough

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I've not had any problems, but I doubt I use it as hard or often as you! I have heard the thing about uv light too, that's why I prefer my winch inside the bumper rather than out in the open. When inside the bumper the only part exposed is where it attaches to the hook but you could just wrap that with electrical tape of you were really worried.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I've not had any problems, but I doubt I use it as hard or often as you! I have heard the thing about uv light too, that's why I prefer my winch inside the bumper rather than out in the open. When inside the bumper the only part exposed is where it attaches to the hook but you could just wrap that with electrical tape of you were really worried.
Awesome. I absolutely prefer mine in as well!

CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
I really like synthetic rope. It is WAY lighter than steel, does not store energy like steel (if it breaks it just falls harmlessly to the ground, no slingshot effect back at your face), and has a higher break strength than steel. You definitely have to baby it more than steel I will admit, but that's what the sleeves are for. One other thing, if you do happen to break it, you can tie it back together and keep winching, can't do that with steel! Obviously tying it isn't a permanent fix but it could mean the difference between walking home or driving home.
Actually if you look up synthetic rope repair you can weave it back together on the trail pretty easy the proper way and have a permanent fix! its the same thing they do when they terminate the end for the hook or thimble. No loss in strength either.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Actually if you look up synthetic rope repair you can weave it back together on the trail pretty easy the proper way and have a permanent fix! its the same thing they do when they terminate the end for the hook or thimble. No loss in strength either.
Awesome! I didn't know that

Reactions: CashMoney
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
@CashMoney that is really good to know!! You guys bring up some things I sure as hell didn't know. It's tempting for me and I've always been head set on steel. Thanks for the replies.

Reactions: CashMoney
MontanaBighorn

MontanaBighorn

May 9, 2016
Billings, MT
CarryGuide.com
I disagree strongly with price-point shopping for recovery equipment. I could understand it a little better had you purchased a $4,000 used 500 Ranger or similar (indicating limited budget) but you purchased what I believe to be the absolute top of the line SxS and you want to install bottom shelf recovery equipment? I understand that most people rarely ever utilize their winch. I have several installed currently that have never once been used but by buying quality I know that if they are ever needed they will function properly. I like saving money when I can as much as anybody but I won't if it means sacrificing quality.
I used to be a member of an ATV club and we used to ride in the Tellico ORV before the enviro-whackos got it shut down (thus killing the economy of Murphy NC in the process, btw). There were days when I would use my Warn all day long either pulling myself up or pulling up others who either didn't have a winch or tried using bargain winches all day. Nobody will ever convince me that rating equates into equality because my personal experience tells me otherwise. I don't know what Warn uses in their winches because I've never had to see inside one. I can tell you first hand however that Ramsey uses (or at least used) plastic in theirs because I busted one trying to pull a Honda Rubicon out off a ravine it had rolled into.
Unless it's financially impossible, buy the Warn. Every time you use it you'll be glad that you did. Just my opinion.

Reactions: dotman1 and sharp
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I disagree strongly with price-point shopping for recovery equipment. I could understand it a little better had you purchased a $4,000 used 500 Ranger or similar (indicating limited budget) but you purchased what I believe to be the absolute top of the line SxS and you want to install bottom shelf recovery equipment? I understand that most people rarely ever utilize their winch. I have several installed currently that have never once been used but by buying quality I know that if they are ever needed they will function properly. I like saving money when I can as much as anybody but I won't if it means sacrificing quality.
I used to be a member of an ATV club and we used to ride in the Tellico ORV before the enviro-whackos got it shut down (thus killing the economy of Murphy NC in the process, btw). There were days when I would use my Warn all day long either pulling myself up or pulling up others who either didn't have a winch or tried using bargain winches all day. Nobody will ever convince me that rating equates into equality because my personal experience tells me otherwise. I don't know what Warn uses in their winches because I've never had to see inside one. I can tell you first hand however that Ramsey uses (or at least used) plastic in theirs because I busted one trying to pull a Honda Rubicon out off a ravine it had rolled into.
Unless it's financially impossible, buy the Warn. Every time you use it you'll be glad that you did. Just my opinion.
I agree a winch in not something you want to cheap out on. It's like those dudes going down the road pulling a 40k dollar Harley Davidson on a $500 trailer!

advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
No I'm the guy with the 500 trailer

Reactions: Gator and sharp
Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2

I'm with you to a point. What if Harley Davison came out with a winch, and you know for a fact that it is equal to Warn but it cost $1000?
And visa versa, if the SW is in fact the same quality (equally dependable), I want to know, because I like saving money.

I never want to have my winch fail out there, so if the SW is a good product, I'll try it.

I like this thread

Reactions: CumminsPusher
MontanaBighorn

MontanaBighorn

May 9, 2016
Billings, MT
CarryGuide.com
What if Harley Davison came out with a winch, and you know for a fact that it is equal to Warn but it cost $1000?
I'm not suggesting to buy through the Honda dealer just because it's Honda; I'm saying to buy a Warn because their quality is consistently the best in the business. The Super Winch might me a great winch. It might be as good as the Warn and it might not be as good as a Warn and you likely won't find out until you need it to work the most. If for nothing else, that Warn sets the standard by which all others are judged is to me reason enough in and of itself to buy the Warn. The additional expense will long be forgotten when it does it's job.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I agree a winch in not something you want to cheap out on. It's like those dudes going down the road pulling a 40k dollar Harley Davidson on a $500 trailer!
Ok @sharp here's your guy. 40k Harley on an old rusted harbor freight 300$ trailer:)

Reactions: Eltobgi and sharp
MontanaBighorn

MontanaBighorn

May 9, 2016
Billings, MT
CarryGuide.com
that Warn sets the standard by which all others are judged is to me reason enough in and of itself to buy the Warn
I have similar conversations in gun circles. "My <INSERT FAVORITE GUN HERE> is just as reliable as a Glock" is repeated ad nauseam which shows that Glock sets the standard to which others are compared. There are areas where I'll save money such as buying DEF because there is no difference in quality but when tangible quality differences exist I will always choose quality, especially in critical applications like recovery gear.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I have similar conversations in gun circles. "My <INSERT FAVORITE GUN HERE> is just as reliable as a Glock" is repeated ad nauseam which shows that Glock sets the standard to which others are compared. There are areas where I'll save money such as buying DEF because there is no difference in quality but when tangible quality differences exist I will always choose quality, especially in critical applications like recovery gear.
Guns I do know. But I'll never have a plastic gun. Here's my beretta m9a3 and my wife carries beretta 92 inox. Both have internal guide rail green lasers and as accurate as they come. Mines chambered in .357 sig and carries 18 rounds of it. I don't cheap on something that can save my life. Plus they are American. Just saying:)

Last edited:
Reactions: joeymt33
MontanaBighorn

MontanaBighorn

May 9, 2016
Billings, MT
CarryGuide.com
I don't cheap on something that can save my life.
At the risk of hijacking this thread (my apologies in advance):

Gc

These are my handguns, at least the ones that I keep at home (valuable ones are in secured storage). I have some pretty great guns in my opinion (just purchased a Dan Wesson Titan that wasn't in this photo) including steel, plastic, American and foreign made yet despite having so many options, I carry a Glock daily (.40 caliber Glock 22 in cooler weather with heavier clothing and .40 caliber Glock 23 in warmer weather with lighter clothing). I don't carry a Glock to save money; I carry Glock because they work every. single. time. I can shoot them accurately and manipulate them with efficiency and coupled with the standard in reliability I cannot imagine a better choice for me.

Since some like to challenge authenticity, I stuck my Pioneer's owners manual in the safe with some of the pictured guns. The frame on the shelf without a slide is the Dan Wesson Titan. I sent the slide back to the manufacturer to be refinished. I could not buy a $4,000 gun that arrived with scratches on the slide.

BTW, if interested in anything gun related, I also publish Carry Guide - Concealed Carry Forum

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Very nice collection!! But you can only carry a couple. in my mind I carry the most rounds with the best penetration out of one of the most accurate and dependable frames. I agree though that for plastic Glock is the standard that others follow. I see a few sigs and 1911's though. Damn nice collection!!!!! I only know of one guy that could possibly rival that collection and it ain't me. A pioneer and a couple hundred guns that's end of the world ready!!! You just need a 12v Cummins in case of emp release:) but yes we just hijacked this thread and we know it because of all the gun freaks out there including us so if we do continue we will have to start a new thread because this one will become heated and long. I do have a few most of which are buried for security reasons however I have more the most. People always say Texans have the most guns well my friend you help the average of Montana go up!!! I love it. Love guns. Nicely played.

Last edited:
Reactions: joeymt33
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!