P1000 BEST WINCH ON A BUDGET?

ArkHog10

ArkHog10

Nov 19, 2015
Okay. I know it's been talked about a lot but what winch would be the best bang for your buck? I need a winch but don't want to spend a lot of money. What's everybody's opinions?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Okay. I know it's been talked about a lot but what winch would be the best bang for your buck? I need a winch but don't want to spend a lot of money. What's everybody's opinions?
I like warn but probably best bang is super winch

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
So I've got a question for everyone. I've always had great luck with Warn we do a lot with our winch absolutely use it every weekend and not just for vehicle recovery but crap you shouldn't do with a winch and other then snapping cables or twisting up fair leads no problems. People here are real fond of the Super Winch and although I tend to stick with a problem free item I do listen to a majority sometimes and have looked up the winch before and realize it does have steel gears and some other well built items as does the Warn. With the general consensus so strong I might consider one on my next rig. I consider a winch very critical to our sport I'll never be without one but it's not one of the areas I would cheap out on unless...My question to people is why do you prefer the Super Winch is it just in cost or do you believe it's better? Has anyone who really uses it on a regular basis has had the same one for any length of time.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
For me it is a combination. Cost and reliability. I can't see spending $500 on a Warn when I can pick up a SW for 1/2 price. I also want reliability and I believe SW delivers. Not that I wouldn't own a warn. I would love too if I found a super deal.

Only thing I hate is the color scheme. Yellow! Why yellow?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Honestly I like the yellow! Adds bling. I did pick my provantage 4500 for 310 but I always bid don't think I ever pay full price at a local shop.:) But you have had excellent luck with them? Would you still choose if price was closer? Have you been running them awhile? I'm really curious because for me to purchase I have to know that others are really trusting. If someone is smart enough to buy a Honda over the other brands that it's "trying to complete against " maybe someone should take note and just listen. That's why I bring up this question I know on paper everything is one way but in real world different. I'm asking real world. I do appreciate any and all input even possibly other brands but it seems to be between these two

Last edited:
Reactions: Dasmoeturhead
advertisement
ArkHog10

ArkHog10

Nov 19, 2015
For me it is a combination. Cost and reliability. I can't see spending $500 on a Warn when I can pick up a SW for 1/2 price. I also want reliability and I believe SW delivers. Not that I wouldn't own a warn. I would love too if I found a super deal.

Only thing I hate is the color scheme. Yellow! Why yellow?
I usually don't get myself into many situations that I would need a winch. But with this big heavy machine I don't want to get stuck 8 miles out on the trail with no way to get out. I usually ride with my son and his 420 Rancher isn't pulling this thing out. For what need I think the Superwinch will be just fine. I agree on the color. The yellow will stick out.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I usually don't get myself into many situations that I would need a winch. But with this big heavy machine I don't want to get stuck 8 miles out on the trail with no way to get out. I usually ride with my son and his 420 Rancher isn't pulling this thing out. For what need I think the Superwinch will be just fine. I agree on the color. The yellow will stick out.
i agree I'm deathly afraid to get this one stuck. It really goes anywhere and at the point it doesn't you ****ed! We broke a cable getting her out in February but we weren't far off the trail and the truck was able to pull but nearly got it stuck as well. I would have lost my mind. Already through an embarrassing tissy fit in front of everyone.

CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
I like the steel drum on the superwinch better and I think the gears inside might actually be stronger and larger. Judging by the spec sheet it may not have as fast of a no load line speed but it looks like it beats the warn all over for loaded line speed

Reactions: CumminsPusher
TOOLOUD

TOOLOUD

Aug 10, 2015
Benton,La
I personally quite buying warn winches 15+ yrs ago when they quit using metal gears and went to plastic gears. On a atv they wouldn't last cause they were always under water and or covered in mud. Other winches are better built IMO than warn these days so to each their own.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I've got a question for everyone. I've always had great luck with Warn we do a lot with our winch absolutely use it every weekend and not just for vehicle recovery but crap you shouldn't do with a winch and other then snapping cables or twisting up fair leads no problems. People here are real fond of the Super Winch and although I tend to stick with a problem free item I do listen to a majority sometimes and have looked up the winch before and realize it does have steel gears and some other well built items as does the Warn. With the general consensus so strong I might consider one on my next rig. I consider a winch very critical to our sport I'll never be without one but it's not one of the areas I would cheap out on unless...My question to people is why do you prefer the Super Winch is it just in cost or do you believe it's better? Has anyone who really uses it on a regular basis has had the same one for any length of time.
I've used the superwinch almost exclusively on my machines anymore , had zero issues and I do alot of snow plowing . What I find I like the most is the line speed. Its faster than others I've used it's gets it done fast and I've never had one even wince pulling a heavy load.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I feel a winch....isn't something
to go cheap on...
Get a good come along & save
Your $...till you can get a
good one.....

Deer-hunter

Deer-hunter

Feb 19, 2016
Effie,Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have owned one of each. I bought a super winch years ago to put on my recon and never had any problem. When I bought my rubicon I had a warm. It worked good for the first 2 or 3 years but then started giving me problems. Water damage inside the winch. Now on my brothers big red he has a warm and it's giving problems. I was able to fix it but it's when you really need it is when you find out that it's not working. His winch was stuck in free spool. I had to take the knob apart and figured out that there is 2 pins that is pushed or pulled by a flexed metal clip with knot he's and slots in it. For some reason it had lost its shape. I had to take it all apart and resend it to where it would stay in the co

TOOLOUD

TOOLOUD

Aug 10, 2015
Benton,La

And you ask WHY a super winch ? Pretty strong winch !

Reactions: JimmyA
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
The consensus is super winch trust me I'm sold as well. If that many are running it then I'm not afraid. But for the record the warn pro vantage has all metal gears, roller,internals and has lifetime warranty people are saying plastic that's NOT correct not sure where that comes from as I looked up winches when we bought it and at the time it was top rated with awesome reviews and we have never had a problem ours its four years old and has been on three different vehicles have broke 3 cables and screwed up 2 fair leads and has been submerged in creeks and deep mud countless times and will continue relying on it however I'll try the super on our next rig or if our dies and I'll see what everyone else is believing in for myself:) should do a poll for Super Winch,Warn,others for current ownership just for fun.

Last edited:
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!