Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Abso****inglutly! If it's the 12v. Amazing what they put that motor in. People don't get it. You're a fun one to pick on. I'm not sure that it's rated to carry your gun collection though!

Reactions: sharp
MontanaBighorn

MontanaBighorn

May 9, 2016
Billings, MT
CarryGuide.com
If it's the 12v. Amazing what they put that motor in.
It's an 8.3, but it is a 12v Cummins. :D

I do have several 24v 5.9s (work trucks) and a pair of 6.7s (personal trucks) and wouldn't own anything else. I've nothing against the Power Strokes or Duramaxs (owned several of each, work trucks) but prefer the flat torque curve of the Cummins when I'm pulling anything heavy.

You're a fun one to pick on.
LOL....hopefully you'll still feel that way when you find out how deep that rabbit hole really is. :D

...OK, this thread is ruined. Sorry. ;)

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
6 in a row make them go. We spend time in Idaho you don't need a rabbit hole you just leave them there. People assume they did something wrong. We screwed this up bad. Been fun though

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I know you were speaking of torque curve...Is this load heavy enough? When I first started building my motorhome we broke a rear gear (in my 12v bus) and had to tow it from Everett to Spokane 355miles across the mountains. Averaged 50mph up Vantage hill a 6 mile 8% grade. Stopped at scales on the way 56.6k. The bus alone had 1200 pounds of fuel. Looking back in my mirror all you saw was bumper. Took two big wreckers to load it. Tow vehicle '97 Cummins 3/4 ton 278k miles. 70mph was scary as 2/3 of the 40k+ of the bus was way past the trailer duals and got the pickup really light. I suggest not to do this with the average family pickup. The bus is ugly here but I had to hurry up and paint it as my wife wouldn't ride in the yellow. This was only 5 weeks into the conversion. There's diesel in my blood.

Last edited:
Reactions: sharp
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Holy smokes; that's a load! And I'm guessing it was pulled with 3.42 gears? Are you running the standard or automatic?
Yes. I still swear by the auto. They are rock solid regardless what people say. 90% of the time a belt adjust and fluid/filer fixes what transmission shops say needs "rebuilding "bought several trucks with "bad transmission " one I put over 35k on that was "bad". If it does need it it's cheaper and easier then th350 chev. 375k on my truck and I'm not easy on it just adjusting and knew original owner. I just put good cooler on them and keep the hell out of od unless needed. But yes obviously I like Cummins as well

MontanaBighorn

MontanaBighorn

May 9, 2016
Billings, MT
CarryGuide.com
Yes. I still swear by the auto. They are rock solid regardless what people say.
I can't count how many 47RE transmissions I've had to buy over the years and consider it to be the only weak link from that era Dodge truck. The Cummins is the only medium duty diesel available (The Powerstroke and Duramax are both light duty rated diesels) on the market for light trucks. When you stick a medium duty diesel in front of a light duty transmission and work the diesel to potential, the transmission is bound to fail. I still have the '01.5 2500 that I bought new and eventually started my company with it. It's somehow on it's original transmission though but I do expect to have to replace it. My personal trucks are a 2015 dually and a 2016 single rear wheel 3500 and I ordered both of them with the medium duty Aisin transmission. In addition to getting a medium duty transmission (first that Dodge or Ram has ever offered in their light truck line) you also get the additional torque (865# on the 2015, 900# on the 2016). It's still too early to tell how well they will hold up but the same Aisin has been running in medium duty trucks for a long time so I expect it will do great for me, too. The Aisin is Dodge/Ram's answer to the Allison.

This is about as heavy as I ever tow anymore, and now that I've added the Pioneer I have to go back and figure out another way to carry everything without taking two trucks. As shown I'm technically over width and could be ticketed (The Rhinos are just over the limit when driven on sideways). Riding in rural Montana it isn't an issue but if I wanted to head down to Moab it would get pulled over for sure. My 40' trailer is around 10,000# empty, plus four Rhinos @ 1,300 each (5,200#) plus the Teryx4 (1,800#) plus the Grizzly (600#) plus an Arctic Cat (700#) I'm well below the 30,000# rating of the truck but I don't think I would ever attempt to tow 30,000# with any light duty truck.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
@MontanaBighorn thats a great looking load. Great scenery! that's a load that says I'm about to have a kick ass time! The big thing with that transmission is like most newer transmissions they start off in overdrive. Shouldn't be used under 50 or 60 towing. I've followed that and don't have problems. If you put a better input and output shaft and do a couple things it can be bulletproof. One of the local guys here that builds and races Cummins has a nine second 06 with all 98 running gear. Its got my same transmission built good It's a 3/4 ton 4x4 extended on 38's. I can't count how many many people I know around here with ford or chev converted to 12v. He does at least one brand new pickup a month with a 200k or more 12v shoved under. I think it's funny. I'm not really a Dodge guy but the running gear can not be beat. I may consider converting an 04 ish ford over to the 12v but I wont be with an inline motor v is not a good platform for torque or dependability. I want a Nissan with ford interior chev transmission and gadgets dodge running gear wrapped up in Toyota dependability:)

Last edited:
MontanaBighorn

MontanaBighorn

May 9, 2016
Billings, MT
CarryGuide.com
Great scenery!
That's my favorite riding spot, the Pryor Mountain Wild Horse Range just south of Billings, MT. Here are some pictures and video I took of the last ride this past Fall. I'm chomping at the bit waiting on the snow to melt off Pryor Mountain so that I can take the new Honda up there.

I can't count how many many people I know around here with ford or chev converted to 12v. He does at least one brand new pickup a month with a 200k or more 12v shoved under.
There's a similar outfit here in Montana that specializes in that conversion. See http://fordcummins.com

I'm not really a Dodge guy but the running gear can not be beat.
I grew up with nothing but; it's the only truck my dad would buy. Today it's the only truck that I buy when buying new/personal trucks but it's not because of the Dodge it's because of the Cummins. I've been a big fan ever since Dodge added them around 92. When the contract with Dodge was set to expire in 2000, Ford Motor Company bought up a large portion of Cummins stock in hopes of securing the Cummins for the F-Series trucks. When Cummins renewed with Dodge, Ford sold all their stock. That says a lot, and also that to this day you can still get the Cummins in the Ford medium duty trucks (F450/F550).
I think the 6.7 Powerstroke is a really solid diesel, I'm just so burned out on Ford diesels that it will be a long time before I ever go down that road again. All of my 7.3 Powerstrokes gave me excellent service except for one that suffered the dreaded cavitation issues. I had a 6.0 Powerstroke that went through three sets of head gaskets in a year and a half or so. I unloaded that and got a new 6.4 Powerstroke and got rid of that when it blew a set around 8 months later. I swore off Ford diesels after that. I've nothing bad to say about the Duramax as mine have always held up very well, I just had very poor service with front end suspensions and I still prefer to tow with the Cummins because its just so dang predictable and the OEM exhaust brake is the best thing ever added to light trucks.

I want a Nissan with ford interior chev transmission and gadgets dodge running gear wrapped up in Toyota dependability:)
Ha! Now that is quite the Frankenstein!

Last edited:
advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Really beautiful!

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Sorry to contribute to thread drift.... But my dads 08 ram 1 ton has the aisin. It's blown once and right now it's running but won't go into 6th. 6.7 Cummins. Yes it's a work truck and lived it's whole life towing a trailer. But that aisin is no Allison. Truck is right around 100k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
no but that Cummins isn't Isuzu either. I love both my 47re's The Allison in my bus has been rebuilt twice and that's a big semi grade transmission not small application but the little Cummins has outlived it twice. The Allison in the chev would have more problems with actual power however I love the way they shift. Sure more money when they fail but smooooooooth! I'd run Allison if I could

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Ya a lot more power.

Reactions: MontanaBighorn
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
View attachment 15500
Guns I do know. But I'll never have a plastic gun. Here's my beretta m9a3 and my wife carries beretta 92 inox. Both have internal guide rail green lasers and as accurate as they come. Mines chambered in .357 sig and carries 18 rounds of it. I don't cheap on something that can save my life. Plus they are American. Just saying:)
You have to post a better pic than that come on! Lol. I like your style! My wife and I have been talking about the comfort and piece of mind a side arm could provide! I'm just not sure I would want to piss her off while she was packing! I could see it now she would make a move...I'd raise an eye brow as if to say are you sure you want to do this? Lol. Just kidding.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I would suggest you pick a couple out and familiarize yourself and get her very comfortable with all aspects of that gun. We should be an armed nation ( maybe not guit me as many as @MontanaBighorn :) but more is better! And his collection is awesome) we would be a stronger nation with less gun related problems. Look at the crime rates of gun related problems in areas that they are banned. Guns are not bad only untrained people wackos and criminals are. We've got a few pistols but I really trust my berettas. We have gone a most of a season without cleaning hers they always strapped to our hips on dirtbike whatever It's nice when you're out to have protection even knowing you won't need it the wife and I never leave with out. I've got 17+1 of .357 and she's got 20+1 of plus p 9. If anything gets past that I guess I'm not worried about another clip. Revolver is better for bear but you only have 6shots with something that's hard to get back on point. We have come across many many animals and both have had to fire into the ground several times to scare moose off(thankfully they haven't make us fire on them) I feel it's very important to have and use guns. Most importantly to be comfortable with them. My wife is a very accurate shot so if things happened I might give her my firepower. We shoot around 2500 rds a year through both and believe the better you know one gun you trust the better chance you have. I can change barrel only in either gun from 9-40-357 without changing even the clip also is silencer ready (yes it's fun) both have night sites and internal lasers (better because they always stay accurate without adjustment) around a pound and a half trigger pull so you sneeze and 20 rounds hit their target. Also have .22lr clip and barrel for both so they are lots of fun for target. All of my kids are very well trained in shooting even my 10yo could and would protect herself. My 17yo can shoot a hole through a quarter at 50ft with either pistol they are very accurate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eltobgi and sharp
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would suggest you pick a couple out and familiarize yourself and get her very comfortable with all aspects of that gun. We should be an armed nation ( maybe not guit me as many as @MontanaBighorn :) but more is better! And his collection is awesome) we would be a stronger nation with less gun related problems. Look at the crime rates of gun related problems in areas that they are banned. Guns are not bad only untrained people wackos and criminals are. We've got a few pistols but I really trust my berettas. We have gone a most of a season without cleaning hers they always strapped to our hips on dirtbike whatever It's nice when you're out to have protection even knowing you won't need it the wife and I never leave with out. I've got 17+1 of .357 and she's got 20+1 of plus p 9. If anything gets past that I guess I'm not worried about another clip. Revolver is better for bear but you only have 6shots with something that's hard to get back on point. We have come across many many animals and both have had to fire into the ground several times to scare moose off(thankfully they haven't make us fire on them) I feel it's very important to have and use guns. Most importantly to be comfortable with them. My wife is a very accurate shot so if things happened I might give her my firepower. We shoot around 2500 rds a year through both and believe the better you know one gun you trust the better chance you have. I can change barrel only in either gun from 9-40-357 without changing even the clip also is silencer ready (yes it's fun) both have night sites and internal lasers (better because they always stay accurate without adjustment) around a pound and a half trigger pull so you sneeze and 20 rounds hit their target. Also have .22lr clip and barrel for both so they are lots of fun for target. All of my kids are very well trained in shooting even my 10yo could and would protect herself. My 17yo can shoot a hole through a quarter at 50ft with either pistol they are very accurate. View attachment 15652View attachment 15653View attachment 15654
To quote the NRA " the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". Everyone of age should get their carry permit before they regulate it so much it makes it almost impossible to get it!

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!